Orthodox Study Bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter bauerice
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bauerice

Guest
I have a copy of The Orthodox Study Bible (not to be confused with the Oxford Study Bible). I find the translation interesting. Using the St Athanasius Setuagint for the OT and the NKJV for the NT. What I have been reading has been good and the notes fresh.
 
I agree. I enjoy the eastern patristic references in the notes, and radically Christo-centric commentary from beginning to end. While I have several translations and original language editions on my desk at any given time, this is the one that I most often enjoy toting around and reading privately. I even preach from it periodically.

I also enjoy the Concordia Lutheran Study Bible… but it’s big as a phone book, and while it includes short commentary on the Deutero-canonical books, it didn’t include the books themselves (something I think they are working to supplement, but until then, it’s irritating.)

Cheers.
 
I have a copy of The Orthodox Study Bible (not to be confused with the Oxford Study Bible). I find the translation interesting. Using the St Athanasius Setuagint for the OT and the NKJV for the NT. What I have been reading has been good and the notes fresh.
I have a copy too and like it very much.
 
** The Icons, book intros, and study notes are excellent. I am not a big Bible studier but, enjoy have a few notes to help when reading the text. Some study Bibles really over do it with notes. It’s of great quality of leather and size.**
** What frustrates me as a RC, is why we can’t have something of this quality? The closest is the RSV-2CE. The readers edition is in no way close to the quality of leather and text size. The Study Bible (only NT avaliable at this time) is so big it’s not a carry around Bible. The notes overwhelm the text. **
 
Yep, you’re spot on. The Orthodox (and I suppose, the good folks at Thomas Nelson publishers) really nailed this one, for balance of content, commentary, quality, and readability. I hope our respective communions can take the constructive hint from our Orthodox brethren, and contribute in the same vein.

Cheers.

** What frustrates me as a RC, is why we can’t have something of this quality? The closest is the RSV-2CE. The readers edition is in no way close to the quality of leather and text size. The Study Bible (only NT avaliable at this time) is so big it’s not a carry around Bible. The notes overwhelm the text. **
 
I have always found Bible Reader’s thoughts on the OSB to be apt:

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=260839&highlight=orthodox+study+bible&page=2

(See posts #26-29.)

I remember when this version was released. The Eastern Orthodox community was, at first, immensely excited and couldn’t wait to get their leather bound versions (which were, at the time, delayed), but then, once they did receive them, many people were disappointed and continued right along using their older (more favored) versions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top