Orthodox take on Freemasons

• Thread starter Thread starter Jragzz123
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jragzz123

I know many encyclicals have been written on the Roman side of things about the evils and errors of free mason. I’ve heard that Russian Orthodox clashed a little with free masons but I was wondering what the eastern catholic and orthodox view of free masons is? Is it as intense as Roman Catholics?

Last edited:
Orthodox are not supposed to be Free Masons either. That doesn’t stop some people- but we have an anti-masonry stance- nonetheless. The Church of Greece made an official statement back in the 20th century against Masonry.

Last edited:
“Intense”?

Have you read the reasoning behind the Church’s stance? Do you know the anti-Catholic history of the Masons?

Read up and it will make more sense.

Catholics are hardly the only Christians to take issue with Masons.

The Church of Greece issued a definitive rejection of Freemasonry in 1933:

http://orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/masonry.aspx

One of our parishioners, a thirty something Russian woman from St. Petersburg now living with her American husband and their two three children in America was shocked that every town has a Masonic Lodge in the United States. She said that in Russia the Freemasons are only spoken of in whispers and you never see their Lodges.

Here is a detailed historical account of Orthodoxy and Freemasonry in the U.S.:

The above article notes that three jurisdictions, ROCOR, OCA and the Church of Greece have all condemned Freemasonry as incompatible with Orthodox Christianity. An Inter-Orthodox Commission meeting on Mount Athos also condemned Masonry:

“Thus, the incompatible contradiction between Christianity and Freemasonry is quite clear. […] [T]he Orthodox Catholic Church, maintaining in its integrity the treasure of Christian faith [has] proclaimed against it every time that the question of Freemasonry has been raised. Recently, the Inter-Orthodox Commission which met on Mount Athos and in which the representatives of all the Autocephalous Orthodox Churches took part, has characterized Freemasonry as a ‘false and anti-Christian system.”

May I also recommend the book “A Darkness Visible: A Christian Appraisal of Freemasonry” available from Baronius Press? The author is a former Anglican Mason turned Catholic priest who sheds light on the Anti-Christian nature of Freemasonry. He writes it to bring the Church of England to repentance, for she is the only major Christian group that has not issued a condemnation of this false religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back