C
Corpus_Cristi
Guest
I’m a college student and participate in the Bible study facilitated by a campus church that some of my friends attend. Formally, they are linked to the Assemblies of God, but much like any Protestant Church, they pretty much have their own school of thought. I’ve been participating in this Bible study to brush up on not only my scripture reading (I’m also privately reading Acts), but also to learn more about what other Protestants think in opposition to Catholics since my experience of Protestantism is limited to what I grew up with.
Anyway, one comment that was made last night was in regard to the ‘NT canon’. Now, I know that when the Church canonized scripture, it was canonized as a whole, not as separate parts since all of it reflects God’s words to use throughout history (also the whole deal about the New being conceiled in the Old and the Old being revealed in the New). I then proceeded to ask why the “pastor” made this distinction and he said he did this because he’s making a distinction between the already canonized OT and the newly (as in part of the ‘new covenant’) canonized NT. This confused me because I was never sure whether the Jewish leaders even had the authority to decide on and close scripture the way the Church did. Furthermore, the Sunday before last, my pastor, when giving his homily, made a reference to the canonizing of scripture concerning the Song of Songs (there was a reading from it that Sunday). He said that there was contention as to whether it should be included because the intimacy between husband and bride was so intensely illustrated. This leads me to believe that the Church canonized all scripture, OT and NT and didn’t merely add to the OT, though I’m not sure. Thoughts?
Anyway, one comment that was made last night was in regard to the ‘NT canon’. Now, I know that when the Church canonized scripture, it was canonized as a whole, not as separate parts since all of it reflects God’s words to use throughout history (also the whole deal about the New being conceiled in the Old and the Old being revealed in the New). I then proceeded to ask why the “pastor” made this distinction and he said he did this because he’s making a distinction between the already canonized OT and the newly (as in part of the ‘new covenant’) canonized NT. This confused me because I was never sure whether the Jewish leaders even had the authority to decide on and close scripture the way the Church did. Furthermore, the Sunday before last, my pastor, when giving his homily, made a reference to the canonizing of scripture concerning the Song of Songs (there was a reading from it that Sunday). He said that there was contention as to whether it should be included because the intimacy between husband and bride was so intensely illustrated. This leads me to believe that the Church canonized all scripture, OT and NT and didn’t merely add to the OT, though I’m not sure. Thoughts?