OT chapter/verse numbering NAB vs RSV?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GingerSam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GingerSam

Guest
This week at a bible study I’m in, several members of the group were confused by a question that asked us to read Joel 2:30 because they couldn’t find it in their bibles. I’d had no trouble finding it when I’d gone through the lesson, so I asked them about the translation they were using. We discovered that those of us who had used the RSV had Joel 2:30, but those who were using the NAB did not. Later, when I had more time, I looked at both translations side by side, and it seems that the verses and chapters are just numbered differently in the second half of the book of Joel. The NAB has 4 chapters in Joel, but the RSV has the same verses in only 3 chapters.

Does anyone know why these verses and chapters are numbered so differently? I’ve also had a problem with finding verses in the NAB translation of Hosea.

Thanks!
Ginger
 
I thought this different arrangement of the verses in the NAB was unique to the NAB, but the Orthodox Study Bible uses the same numbering in Joel as the NAB. The NETS translation of the Septuagint uses the same order as the RSV. The only thing I can say (until someone more knowledgeable on the subject comes along) is that there are two different scripture translations possibly of the Septuagint being used as textual sources.🤷
 
Wow, that’s odd. All I can say is that the NAB follows the chapter and verse arrangement found in the Hebrew Bible.
 
The Jerusalem Bible uses gives two numberings for many verses. I assume these are the two numberings you encountered.

Chapter and verse numberings were added to the Bible much long after it was assembled and are not a part of the Scripture.
 
If you really want your head to spin, look at Esther–NAB, RSV-CE, and Douay-Rheims side by side. Consider the opening verse:

In the second year of the reign of Artaxerxes the Great, on the first day of Nisan, Mordecai the son of Jair, son of Shimei, son of Kish, of the tribe of Benjamin had a dream.

RSV-CE2: 11:2
NAB: A:1
Douay-Rheims: 1:1
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top