Other gods in the Bible = demons?

  • Thread starter Thread starter flatlanderjenn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flatlanderjenn

Guest
Does the Bible mention (either implicitly or explicitly) that the other gods, or the false gods, are actually demons? I want to say yes, somewhere in the Old Testament, that the false gods are demons, but maybe I’m wrong.

Can someone help me?

Thanks.
 
Does the Bible mention (either implicitly or explicitly) that the other gods, or the false gods, are actually demons? I want to say yes, somewhere in the Old Testament, that the false gods are demons, but maybe I’m wrong.

Can someone help me?

Thanks.
i’m almost positive that when they mentioned “other gods” it is lower case and when they mention God our father it is in upper case.
 
i’m almost positive that when they mentioned “other gods” it is lower case and when they mention God our father it is in upper case.
But I thought the original Scriptures were written all in one case, with no upper or lower. That was a medieval development, I think.

In any case, I think of ‘false gods’ as being anything you value ahead of God, be it money or alcohol or whatever. It can of course include false deities, which are fronts for demons. Does Scripture back this up?
 
the old testament speaks a lot about other ‘gods’ and im pretty sure that was a reference to the gods that other civilizations believed in at the time. today it can be practically applied to mean anything that we place before God such as money and the like but i dont think that is what the writers of the old testament originally had in mind
 
Does the Bible mention (either implicitly or explicitly) that the other gods, or the false gods, are actually demons? I want to say yes, somewhere in the Old Testament, that the false gods are demons, but maybe I’m wrong.

Can someone help me?

Thanks.
‘For all the gods of the Gentiles are devils:
but the Lord made the heavens.’

Psalm 95:5
 
yep i think its safe to say the other gods are things we idolize. Psalm 135 almost gives the definition of false gods and idols

[BIBLEDRB]psalm 134:15-16[/BIBLEDRB]
 
Regrettably I didn’t memorise the Verse in question, but I read, I beleive, in either the Book of Sirach or the first Book of Maccabees something to the effect of Israelites bowing down to foreign gods and them being compared with daemons. There is a book I have read which discusses the theory in greater detail. It explores buddhism, hinduism and other forms of paganism and contrasts them to Christianity. The thesis question was why God allowed them. I can’t recall the name of the author, but the title is God’s Rivals. Actually, I just remembered the author, the man is Matt McDermott.

God bless,
 
yep i think its safe to say the other gods are things we idolize. Psalm 135 almost gives the definition of false gods and idols

[BIBLEDRB]psalm 134:15-16[/BIBLEDRB]
But these writers were talking about real worship of these items- not the idolization that we think of in modern times. That being said, we can still apply the condemnation of idols made of gold to modern times by condemning the world’s obsession with money and material goods.
 
St. Paul seems to equate the worship of idols with the worship of demons:
Therefore, my beloved, shun the worship of idols. . . . What do I imply then? That food offered to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything? No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be partners with demons. (1 Corinthians 10:14,19-20.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top