H
HEHIR
Guest
I am a New Zealander and the native people of our country are the Maori.
The Maori language is spoken fluently by some 10,000 people in my country - but very few Catholics (most Maori Christians are Anglicans). I have never met a Maori Catholic in my home diocese, for instance.
Nevertheless, for reasons I suspect are due to political correctness rather than pastoral concern, my PP has started introducing random Maori words and phrases into the Mass.
In the first instance, this annoys me because while Latin is completely excluded on the grounds that few people understand it,this even more esoteric language (which relates not one whit to our Catholic heritage) is so gleefully employed.
In the second instance, my understanding is that the Mass must be said in Latin or in lawfully approved language. I am not aware of any Maori translation that was approved by the Bishops conference and the Holy See.
Before I make a fool of myself, is there anywhere I can review a list of approved translations?
The Maori language is spoken fluently by some 10,000 people in my country - but very few Catholics (most Maori Christians are Anglicans). I have never met a Maori Catholic in my home diocese, for instance.
Nevertheless, for reasons I suspect are due to political correctness rather than pastoral concern, my PP has started introducing random Maori words and phrases into the Mass.
In the first instance, this annoys me because while Latin is completely excluded on the grounds that few people understand it,this even more esoteric language (which relates not one whit to our Catholic heritage) is so gleefully employed.
In the second instance, my understanding is that the Mass must be said in Latin or in lawfully approved language. I am not aware of any Maori translation that was approved by the Bishops conference and the Holy See.
Before I make a fool of myself, is there anywhere I can review a list of approved translations?