I can’t think of another religion where the founder claimed to be God. The fact that He lived is a matter of historical record, no arguments there.
My journey back to the Catholic Church involved searching through the claims of the Catholic Church to be the One True Church.
Jesus claimed to be God. That was the main reason the Jewish leaders wanted him put to death, for what they belived was a most heinous blasphemy.
Pilate desperately wanted a reason to let Him live. If Jesus had backed down He would probably have got away with it. But He didn’t
People who say Jesus was a good man, but not the God-Man, haven’t thought it out. He was either God, as He claimed, a political insurgent (a liar looking for power), or a lunatic (a megalomania).
He was crucified and sealed in a tomb. His followers later claimed that He came back from the dead under His own power. Nobody raised Him as He had raised others.
So, how do we know it really happened? All we can do is look at the evidence. The apostles were there when He died. If it was all faked they would have been the ones who did it. But they were the ones who preached Christ crucified. They underwent horrendous torture and death for a fake resurrection?
Not likely!
Was the early Church Catholic? Read the writings of the early Church Fathers and you will have the answer. I did, and I went into it hoping it
wouldn’t be the True Church (no contraception, no divorce & remarriage, having to go to Mass** every** Sunday come hell or high water

).
That is why I am a Catholic. I have no choice. Where else would I go?