Our Father Doxology

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense taken šŸ˜‰

I just wanted to point out, in a very US-centered forum (with very good reasons to be US-centered), that a part of things is probably cultural. We have no such culturally marking version as the KJV in my own language, to such an extent that Iā€™m not sure what the exact meaning of ā€œKJV-typesā€ is.

I think it stems from the development of many denominations in the 1800s in the U.S. (mostly the South) where the only translation of the Bible anyone would be expected to have would be the KJV. It sort of defaulted its way into the ā€œonlyā€ acceptable version then for many people, and I can recall as a child when these other versions were becoming more common in churches that some people didnā€™t really object to them but still thought them inferior. Now, if I visit these same churches I grew up in, itā€™s hard to find anyone who still thinks this way; it was simply a particular generation wary of something new.

The NIV is roughly my age, for example, while the KJV is roughly the age of our nation (Virginia settled in 1607; KJV published in 1611)ā€¦ American patriotism and faith being intertwined as it often is, you can probably see how (for some folks), thatā€™s as far back in history as they need go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back