Our Lady of Guadalupe Costume?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LaMusicaSenior
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LaMusicaSenior

Guest
Good morning!
Code:
 My family and two other families celebrate all saints eve instead of Halloween.  We dress up as our favorite saints.

 Beings that there are five girls in my family, we have all decided to dress up as different Marian Apparitions.  I have picked Our Lady of Guadalupe.

 Does anyone have any ideas on how to construct a costume for this?  I am pretty handy with a sewing machine.  I also have a lot of ready-made pieces from our family "dress up" box  

 Thanks to all and God Bless,
Chloe M.
 
I think the main thing would be the blue-green mantle with the gold stars on it. You could get a dark blue or blue-green material and some gold material, cut stars out of the gold material and use fusible webbing to iron them on to the mantle. And/or enhance with gold craft paint.

Then all you need is a long red robe of some kind, a crown, and maybe carry some roses.
 
I sure hope you put up a picture for all of us to see!! What a fun idea. 🙂
 
Good morning!
Code:
 My family and two other families celebrate all saints eve instead of Halloween.  We dress up as our favorite saints.

 Beings that there are five girls in my family, we have all decided to dress up as different Marian Apparitions.  I have picked Our Lady of Guadalupe.

 Does anyone have any ideas on how to construct a costume for this?  I am pretty handy with a sewing machine.  I also have a lot of ready-made pieces from our family "dress up" box  

 Thanks to all and God Bless,
Chloe M.
Go to Catholic Icing
catholicicing.com/

Our Lady of Guadalupe is a popular costume

Other people put links on the bottom of the page with their costumes too.
 
So would it be best to have a pink dress as the base or a red dress?
 
Good morning!
Code:
celebrate all saints eve instead of Halloween.  We dress up as our favorite saints.

Chloe M.
We are a homeschool family that doesn’t celebrate Halloween either. We celebrate all saints day as well. It is so refreshing that some families are taking a stand against consumerism 🙂

I love your idea of Marian Apparitions too. My daughter dresses up throughout the year and in different saints costumes. She also loves to sew. Usually for the capes we just reuse old fabric and we use a lot of velcro when we are in a hurry. If anyone has any ideas, my daughter is interested in dressing up as St Theresa of Avila and that is a harder costume to make.

Happy All Saints Day!!!
 
So would it be best to have a pink dress as the base or a red dress?
In the actual image of the tilma, doesn’t her gown seem to be a gold-colored brocade?

Also, make certain that your hair is black. Our Lady appeared to St. Juan Diego as a native woman; that is very important.
 
Dear KP3243–

That baby in the Our Lady of Guadalupe costume is THE most adorable thing I’ve ever seen!

Jala
Completely Agree!!! The child dressed as Pope Pius also stole my heart! I saw these kids and absolutely every ounce of my Catholic Womanhood leaped for joy and I cannot wait until I find my husband and we have our children so we can do fun things like this as a family.
 
We are a homeschool family that doesn’t celebrate Halloween either. We celebrate all saints day as well. It is so refreshing that some families are taking a stand against consumerism 🙂

I love your idea of Marian Apparitions too. My daughter dresses up throughout the year and in different saints costumes. She also loves to sew. Usually for the capes we just reuse old fabric and we use a lot of velcro when we are in a hurry. If anyone has any ideas, my daughter is interested in dressing up as St Theresa of Avila and that is a harder costume to make.

Happy All Saints Day!!!
I love to hear Catholics who homeschool!!!
 
Thanks to all for the help! I purchased a turquoise piece of material along with a gold sparkle fabric for the underside of the veil. I also purchased fabric paint for the border of stars. I have a red dress.

I also have made a flame backdrop/headdress, too.

BONUS - My little brother (age 6) asked to be St. Juan Diego, so I am making him a tilma out of one of our old “Mexican” floor rugs. Then I’ll attach a picture of Our Lady.

Thanks to all for the help - keep an eye out as I’ll be posting pictures of the finished costumes on here and on my blog (www.timeonthemountaintop.blogspot.com)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top