Our Lady of Mental Peace

  • Thread starter Thread starter JMKC
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JMKC

Guest
Is the prayer to Our Lady of Mental Peace a legitimate Catholic prayer? Is this even a legitimate title for Our Lady? I can’t seem to find any information about the origin of the prayer, and had never heard of this title for Mary prior to seeing it today. I will post the prayer below. Any thoughts, or information about it’s origin would be appreciated!
O Lady of Mental Peace,
Mother of Tranquility and
Mother of Hope,
look upon me in this time
of disquiet and weakness.
Still my restless spirit,
teach my searching heart to know
that God’s love for me
is unchanging and that the suffering
which He may will for me now
is to draw me closer to Him.
Let thy gentle peace and His —
which the world cannot give —
be always with me, that I may
be sanctified: and then:
I beseech thee
for the grace to bring this
peace to others.
Jesus, My Savior, I give myself
entirely to Thee through Mary:
Our Lady of Mental Peace,
pray for me!
 
It is a beautiful prayer. It sounds Catholic. I have not seen it before.
 
It is a Catholic prayer written by Monsignor William Sullivan of the Archdiocese of Boston. When he was Chaplain of a psychiatric hospital, he brought in Legion of Mary volunteers to lead the Rosary. He also offered the Our Lady of Mental Peace prayer for patients to use as a private devotion. The prayer was approved by Saint John XXIII and Pope Paul IV.

Some of the details can be found here in this archived article from Kete Korero, the “official publication of the Catholic Diocese of Hamilton”:
issuu.com/catholicdh/docs/kete_korero_32_pages_for_web/19
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top