Our Lord's appearance according to the mystics

  • Thread starter Thread starter Monica4316
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Monica4316

Guest
I sometimes read books by Ven. Mary of Agreda, Bl. Anne Catherine Emmerich etc… I read in some texts about how Our Lord and Blessed Mother looked like. I’m thinking of eventually drawing Jesus and the Blessed Mother and I wanted to use the revelations to help me. The one thing I can’t find much about though is His eye colour. I’m wondering if anyone has come across something about that? I have one source but I’m wondering if there are others that talk about Our Lord on earth too.

I know there are some historical studies some of which I agree with (getting details from the Shroud of Turin) and some of which I don’t (some purely secular conclusions) - but I’m looking for any information from Catholic Saints / mystics.

Thank you! 🙂
 
Mystical visions aren’t necessarily historically accurate since they are filtered through the minds of those who receive them. Read Fr. Benedict Groeschel’s book, “A Still, Small Voice” on the topic. For example, St. Bernadette saw Mary with blue eyes and St. Juan Diego with brown eyes. Visions are not meant to be sources for such things, rather they are given to certain people at certain times in history for their benefit. It’s really modern communications that have made it possible for us to see/read about their experiences.

Jesus’ eye color is unknown. It would depend on the typical coloring of his family at the time. I would surmise dark brown, but that’s just my own guess. Yours would be just as good.

As an artist you are free to depict Jesus, Mary and the Saints however you want. Many artists have painted/sculpted them in the dress of their own day. We no longer wear robes/gowns unlike most of humanity until modern times. So, the trend is to depict them as closely as possible to their own native dress and coloring. It’s really no possible to know just what coloring they had, so you can paint/draw them however you think best.
 
And in the “Heaven is for real” movie and film Jesus eyes are blue. And a young girl Akiane at age 8 based on a vision she had though her parents were aetheists drew a painting of Jesus with blue eyes that Colton recognised as the Jesus he saw in Heaven.
If you want to google, “Akiane Jesus painting”

I think Our Lord and Our Lady appear as one of us when the appear, eg Our Lady of Guadalupe appeared as a Mexican with all the skin colour, and facial features

Whereas in Akita she appeared with Japanese looks

Etc…
Mystical visions aren’t necessarily historically accurate since they are filtered through the minds of those who receive them. Read Fr. Benedict Groeschel’s book, “A Still, Small Voice” on the topic. For example, St. Bernadette saw Mary with blue eyes and St. Juan Diego with brown eyes. Visions are not meant to be sources for such things, rather they are given to certain people at certain times in history for their benefit. It’s really modern communications that have made it possible for us to see/read about their experiences.

Jesus’ eye color is unknown. It would depend on the typical coloring of his family at the time. I would surmise dark brown, but that’s just my own guess. Yours would be just as good.

As an artist you are free to depict Jesus, Mary and the Saints however you want. Many artists have painted/sculpted them in the dress of their own day. We no longer wear robes/gowns unlike most of humanity until modern times. So, the trend is to depict them as closely as possible to their own native dress and coloring. It’s really no possible to know just what coloring they had, so you can paint/draw them however you think best.
 
Thanks for the reply… I know that private revelations are filtered through the person’s understanding but I still tend to believe and accept what the Church has accepted. I would be interested more in drawing how the Saints saw Our Lord than my own understanding having never seen Him… This is less about artistic expression for me and more about capturing what we know in Church tradition. 🙂 still if anyone has any sources on this particularly that would be great. I know Our Lady has appeared in different ways but the Saints have also seen her as she was at Nazareth. Though they are private revelations, there is similarity in how they describe things like haircolour. I have a book called the Life and Glories of Saint Joseph from TAN that talks about this 🙂 Our Lady also described the appearance of Jesus to St Bridget. I personally don’t go by what was most common etc at the time, because Our Lord could be an exception. Just my understanding :). I also believe the Shroud of Turin is a true representation. Anyways I am just interested in what they have said 🙂
 
Thanks for the reply… I know that private revelations are filtered through the person’s understanding but I still tend to believe and accept what the Church has accepted. I would be interested more in drawing how the Saints saw Our Lord than my own understanding having never seen Him… This is less about artistic expression for me and more about capturing what we know in Church tradition. 🙂 still if anyone has any sources on this particularly that would be great. I know Our Lady has appeared in different ways but the Saints have also seen her as she was at Nazareth. Though they are private revelations, there is similarity in how they describe things like haircolour. I have a book called the Life and Glories of Saint Joseph from TAN that talks about this 🙂 Our Lady also described the appearance of Jesus to St Bridget. I personally don’t go by what was most common etc at the time, because Our Lord could be an exception. Just my understanding :). I also believe the Shroud of Turin is a true representation. Anyways I am just interested in what they have said 🙂
I think you have a mistaken idea about “what the Church accepted” about visions. It doesn’t mean that every detail of such visions are accepted as fact, it merely means that there is nothing contrary to Church teaching in such visions and that they are “worthy of belief” for that reason. So again, you are free to depict Jesus, Mary and the Saints however you wish. There is no Church teaching regarding artists’ religious work. If you want a blue-eyed Jesus then draw one, but it doesn’t really matter one way or the other as far as the Church is concerned.
 
Thanks for the reply… I know that private revelations are filtered through the person’s understanding but I still tend to believe and accept what the Church has accepted. I would be interested more in drawing how the Saints saw Our Lord than my own understanding having never seen Him… This is less about artistic expression for me and more about capturing what we know in Church tradition. 🙂 still if anyone has any sources on this particularly that would be great. I know Our Lady has appeared in different ways but the Saints have also seen her as she was at Nazareth. Though they are private revelations, there is similarity in how they describe things like haircolour. I have a book called the Life and Glories of Saint Joseph from TAN that talks about this 🙂 Our Lady also described the appearance of Jesus to St Bridget. I personally don’t go by what was most common etc at the time, because Our Lord could be an exception. Just my understanding :). I also believe the Shroud of Turin is a true representation. Anyways I am just interested in what they have said 🙂
If you look closely at The Divine Mercy picture, that may be more accurate. Supposedly Jesus’ instruction to St.Faustna were very particular about how He was painted. I believe it tool 2 or 3 try’s before He was satisfied with the picture, and we do celebrate and display this picture the First Sunday of Easter. Looks to me like his eyes are brown too.
 
If you look closely at The Divine Mercy picture, that may be more accurate. Supposedly Jesus’ instruction to St.Faustna were very particular about how He was painted. I believe it tool 2 or 3 try’s before He was satisfied with the picture, and we do celebrate and display this picture the First Sunday of Easter. Looks to me like his eyes are brown too.
Thanks! 🙂 that’s an example sure 🙂
 
I think you have a mistaken idea about “what the Church accepted” about visions. It doesn’t mean that every detail of such visions are accepted as fact, it merely means that there is nothing contrary to Church teaching in such visions and that they are “worthy of belief” for that reason. So again, you are free to depict Jesus, Mary and the Saints however you wish. There is no Church teaching regarding artists’ religious work. If you want a blue-eyed Jesus then draw one, but it doesn’t really matter one way or the other as far as the Church is concerned.
I know this about private revelations… Sorry I didn’t explain it properly. What I meant is just something St Louis De Montfort wrote - that its good to just believe whatever the Church has accepted (in this case, as not being against faith), even if its not necessary. 🙂

As for how I want to draw Our Lord, I just wanted to draw Him how the Saints have seen Him, hence the question.
 
I know this about private revelations… Sorry I didn’t explain it properly. What I meant is just something St Louis De Montfort wrote - that its good to just believe whatever the Church has accepted (in this case, as not being against faith), even if its not necessary. 🙂
No problem. I hoped you knew but had merely misstated it–as I too often do. 😊
As for how I want to draw Our Lord, I just wanted to draw Him how the Saints have seen Him, hence the question.
If they all agreed it’d be easy. 🙂 Since they don’t, you’ll just have to draw your depiction as you feel led as an artist. I’m sure it will be fine. 👍
 
Since Jesus was Jewish, I doubt he looked like most artists’ more European interpretation of him and I don’t believe for a second that Our Lord (or Our Lady) had blue eyes. Nothing wrong with blue eyes 😃 But unlikely that a Jew during that time would have had blue eyes.
 
If you look closely at The Divine Mercy picture, that may be more accurate. Supposedly Jesus’ instruction to St.Faustna were very particular about how He was painted. I believe it tool 2 or 3 try’s before He was satisfied with the picture, and we do celebrate and display this picture the First Sunday of Easter. Looks to me like his eyes are brown too.
There are a few versions of the Divine Mercy. Do you know which one is the original?
 
There is no way to tell from the Shroud of Turin, since there of course, His eyes are closed.

There are however, to this day, MidEasterns with blue or green eyes.

ICXC NIKA
 
Anyways I am just interested in what they have said 🙂
Me too!

I think the question is pretty straightforward, and I’m not sure why there are distinctions being made about private revelation and so forth. Is it really relevant to the question at hand to point out that visionaries might see Jesus in different ways? Very well; but what DID He look like in those visions?

I think your questions are absolutely fascinating, and I would love to see what you eventually come up with! 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top