Overcoming Apathy

  • Thread starter Thread starter teslaeden
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

teslaeden

Guest
I am passionate in my drive to serve God and to show and tell others how to know Him. Yet it seems that although the testimonies I give are exciting and hopeful for me nobody else cares. This makes me sad. I try to encourage people when they suffer by telling them God’s good news but it’s like they won’t accept it and stay miserable.
What can I do to reach people? What can I do to share the joy, love, and truth that God has blessed me with with people who want to hear it instead of those who treat me as though what I say is nonsense?
And last, why do people (even self-professed Christians) reject or remain indifferent to God’s word and His presence in our lives? It’s very offensive to me and challenging sometimes to stay on the path towards God when I seem to be the only human on it.
 
May I suggest gathering more grace for the sake of this goal?

Two different people saying exactly the same words can achieve completely different results, it is not the words only which have effect or not – it is the grace that moves hearts interiorly. Hearts that have long been dulled by sin require all the more grace.

If you were to walk up to a person and say a few words, and a saint were to do so saying the same, the results could be quite different.

So to gather grace, you must pray, and sacrifice, and engage in mortification. And then your goal will see more results.

The more holy and saintly you become the more you will be able to achieve this goal.

The Green Scapular is very helpful too.
 
Maybe use fewer words and more actions.

“Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary.”

Attributed to St Francis
 
We all want our loved ones and friends to see the truth of Christ, I agree.
And sometimes it can be disheartening. Especially when we’ve been given this gift of faith. Jesus recognized that when he spoke to the apostles and said, Blessed are those who believe, and do not see…

The less I preach and the more I pray, the less I judge and the more I serve, the less I argue and the more I practice penance the more success I have.

You never really know how much success there is anyway. Only Christ knows. We spread seed, and His grace waters it. I have seen a little bit of that happen, and trust that God’s in control of all of these situations.

Joy is the greatest evangelistic tool that there is, I think as well. Mother Teresa is one of my heroes there. She did not necessarily “feel” joy, but she sure knew how to “BE” joy to those who were suffering.

I’m not preaching to you. Trust me, these words are as much for myself as they are to you. I go through lots of times when I struggle against despair. I am right now, which is probably why your thread called me to answer you.

One thing I do, when I’m entering a spiritual battlefield is to try to prepare by a good and sincere confession, spending with with Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament and trying to avoid the noisiness of this world as much as possible for a while. Remember that Jesus always went away to pray. If Jesus needed to do that, you can bet your… that we need to do that to.

Peace to you!
 
Peace be with you, Teslaeden.

Jesus faced the same difficulties.
So there is at least one other person on the road with you.

Peace be with you.
Simon.
 
I am passionate in my drive to serve God and to show and tell others how to know Him. Yet it seems that although the testimonies I give are exciting and hopeful for me nobody else cares. This makes me sad. I try to encourage people when they suffer by telling them God’s good news but it’s like they won’t accept it and stay miserable.
What can I do to reach people? What can I do to share the joy, love, and truth that God has blessed me with with people who want to hear it instead of those who treat me as though what I say is nonsense?
And last, why do people (even self-professed Christians) reject or remain indifferent to God’s word and His presence in our lives? It’s very offensive to me and challenging sometimes to stay on the path towards God when I seem to be the only human on it.
Pray to the Lord before you speak to these people and ask for the Holy Spirit to fill you up and speak for you.

“For it is not you that speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks through you.” - Matthew 10:20
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top