PA Church Desecrated

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

"…Something evil happened at Holy Family Catholic Church in Seward last week.

Post-GazetteOvernight Thursday, someone broke in, climbed onto the altar, and unbolted the tabernacle from the front-and-center table. The thief ripped the 18-inch bronze box from the wall and disappeared into the dark. Nothing else was taken.

Inside were two ciboria, ritual dishes half-filled with wafers of holy altar bread. Catholics call it the Blessed Sacrament, and believe it’s the body of Jesus Christ himself.

A volunteer discovered the damage at 6:30 a.m. Friday, when she arrived to prepare for the morning Mass. Word traveled fast.
“A holy place was desecrated,” said the Rev. John Wilt, pastor at Holy Family. “It was so distressing, so awful. A Catholic church without the Blessed Sacrament … the people were so upset, so sad.”

“I felt like someone had died. I felt it physically,” said Margory Cassidy, secretary at the church. “They tore up the wall, there was a mess strewn all over the floor…”

post-gazette.com/pg/05074/471534.stm

40.png
HagiaSophia:
Post-GazetteOvernight Thursday, someone broke in, climbed onto the altar, and unbolted the tabernacle from the front-and-center table. The thief ripped the 18-inch bronze box from the wall and disappeared into the dark. Nothing else was taken.
A good presumption by the pastor that it was done as an anti-Catholic or anti-religion act. There’s just no market for chalices - even a dumb thief knows that.

My old church, Saint Mary’s in Batesville, was desecrated and burned by the KKK in the 1970s. I was in the Army then, and no longer a member of the parish, but it was the church from which my mother was buried.

By the way, will you be at the Rose Dinner?

vern humphrey:
By the way, will you be at the Rose Dinner?
I will try to be there. My wife is the last stage of uterine cancer, and recently had extensive surgery at the Sloan Kettering Institute in New York City. I was in NYC all last month to be with her. She is still recovering from the surgery and has to undergo more chemotherapy this month and next. Depending on how she is doing, I may or may not be in Little Rock all next month.

If I am, I will certainly go to the affair.

40.png
Richardols:
I will try to be there. My wife is the last stage of uterine cancer, and recently had extensive surgery at the Sloan Kettering Institute in New York City. I was in NYC all last month to be with her. She is still recovering from the surgery and has to undergo more chemotherapy this month and next. Depending on how she is doing, I may or may not be in Little Rock all next month.

I’m so sorry! I’ll offer prayers for her and your family.

40.png
Richardols:

I will pray for your wife and family, you,too.

God Bless, Richardols…we care.

40.png
Richardols:

May God comfort and keep you and your wife during this time of trial. I will keep her in our family prayers and rosary intentions.

This is just sickening, I am a total advocate of locking up parishes when there is no Mass or other events happening, and installing security systems. Especially in rough neighborhoods and inner city areas. I pray the parish will get their Tabernacle back, but it is highly unlikely.:banghead:

But I can never imagine what has happened to poor Jesus’s consecrated body and blood. Lord forgive them, for they know not what they do.😦

I am NOT for locking Churches…that is the last refuge we have in a terribly fallen world. Most (not all) parishes could pay to have people sit in the Church during hours when no events or Masses are not taking place. I was raised during a time when all Catholic Churches were open all day…if you needed to be with the Lord, you could just go to Church…that is how it should still be, even though it is more rough and more evil times.

40.png
Richardols:

we’ll be praying for you and your family.

40.png
Richardols:

I will pray for her as well.Listen ArchBishop Fulton J. Sheen is now venerable Sheen, he needs two miracles for Sainthood, ask him for intercession. God Bless you and tell your wife prayers are going up for her.

Thank you all for your prayers. Vivian is resigned to accepting God’s will, whichever way it will go. As hope springs eternal, I shall take your suggestion, Lisa, and ask Blessed Fulton Sheen for intercession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back