A
Arizona_Mike
Guest
Can I ask why this is of such concern to you?So there’s no chance early Christians borrowed ideas from pagan mythology and used those ideas when .writing about Christ?
Can I ask why this is of such concern to you?So there’s no chance early Christians borrowed ideas from pagan mythology and used those ideas when .writing about Christ?
I mean did the early Christians reject the beliefs of pagan mythology.Do you mean cultural elements from pagan societies or pagan worship?
I returned to the Church after 24 years of being away and I fear that what if what’s so important to me now, my faith, isn’t what I was taught after all? What if my beliefs turn out to be a copy of pagan mythology rather that the Truth?Can I ask why this is of such concern to you?
I returned to the Church after 24 years of being away and I fear that what if what’s so important to me now, my faith, isn’t what I was taught after all? What if my beliefs turn out to be a copy of pagan mythology rather that the Truth?Can I ask why this is of such concern to you?
Can anyone comment on this?Possible? Yes. Did it? We will never know.
I think there is a much more compelling arguement for YHWH beginning as a pagan diety than for Jesus being a clone of one.
:twocents:I returned to the Church after 24 years of being away and I fear that what if what’s so important to me now, my faith, isn’t what I was taught after all? What if my beliefs turn out to be a copy of pagan mythology rather that the Truth?
Aloysium is right. I wouldn’t worry about it. Is there anything I wrote that you don’t feel to be a correct explanation of the different concepts of Jesus and Dionysus? We can “what if” all day, but ultimately we have to accept the evidence.I returned to the Church after 24 years of being away and I fear that what if what’s so important to me now, my faith, isn’t what I was taught after all? What if my beliefs turn out to be a copy of pagan mythology rather that the Truth?
Wikipedia is not a good source for religious research because of the nature of the open editorial policies.I decided to see what I could find myself and this from a troubling Wiki article. Addmittedly, I haven’t read the whole thing. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_Christianity
<<<<<<<<<<Both Early Christianity and Early Rabbinical Judaism were significantly influenced by Hellenistic religion and Hellenistic philosophy. Christianity in particular inherited many features of Greco-Roman paganism in its structure, its terminology, its cult and its theology. Titles such as Pontifex Maximus and Sol Invictus were taken directly from Roman religion. The influence of Neoplatonism on Christian theology is significant, visible for example in Augustine of Hippo’s identification of God as summum bonum and of evil as privatio boni. Striking parallels between the New Testament account of Jesus and classical gods or demigods such as Bacchus, Bellerophon or Perseus were recognized by the Church Fathers and termed “demonic imitation” by Justin Martyr in the 2nd century.
“ Without the power of the orthodox Church and the Rabbis to declare people heretics and outside the system it remained impossible to declare phenomenologically who was a Jew and who was a Christian. At least as interesting and significant, it seems more and more clear that it is frequently impossible to tell a Jewish text from a Christian text. The borders are fuzzy, and this has consequences. Religious ideas and innovations can cross borders in both directions.[1] >>>>>>>>>>
Yay! I’ve got Mere Christianity on my bookshelf, unread.CS Lewis has some very interesting things to say on this subject. Parts of “Mere Christianity” touch on it and “The Abolition of Man” addresses it in some depth. The “Epilogue” of JRR Tolkien’s non-fiction essay “On Fairy Stories” also addresses it.
I can’t find much in this book that addresses what we’re talking about.Yay! I’ve got Mere Christianity on my bookshelf, unread.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. So there’s no chance early Christians borrowed ideas from pagan mythology and used those ideas when .writing about Christ?
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. So there’s no chance early Christians borrowed ideas from pagan mythology and used those ideas when .writing about Christ?
.
You know I was actualy agreeing as I read this post untill I reached this paragraph. What is your source for this claim that the pagans of antiquity did not take the testimony of women seriously or claimed they had lesser souls. I know of no religion that does this in particular. Within the empire hundreds of different female dietys were worshiped, and female clergy like the Vestal Virgins and Oracles of Delphi were held in high regard. While much of your post is correct in that pagans have a very different world view from christians I can’t agree with this untill you show me some evidence here.But the more pagan-y, old-fashioned pagans were actually against any approach to Christianity as similar to good pagan values, because Jews and Christians were atheists from their point of view. Christians actually took the eyewitness testimony of women seriously, and treated women as equals with equal souls. Christians worshipped a poor man who’d been crucified, instead of a rich and powerful magician king or a great monster-slaying hero. What the heck were they thinking? Wasn’t it just too embarrassing and gross to take seriously?
Plato, who was certainly a pagan: “It is only males who are created directly by the gods and are given souls. Those who live rightly return to the stars, but those who are ‘cowards or [lead unrighteous lives] may with reason be supposed to have changed into the nature of women in the second generation’. This downward progress may continue through successive reincarnations unless reversed. In this situation, obviously it is only men who are complete human beings and can hope for ultimate fulfilment; the best a woman can hope for is to become a man” (Plato, Timaeus 90e).You know I was actualy agreeing as I read this post untill I reached this paragraph. What is your source for this claim that the pagans of antiquity did not take the testimony of women seriously or claimed they had lesser souls. I know of no religion that does this in particular. Within the empire hundreds of different female dietys were worshiped, and female clergy like the Vestal Virgins and Oracles of Delphi were held in high regard. While much of your post is correct in that pagans have a very different world view from christians I can’t agree with this untill you show me some evidence here.
“· In pain shall you bring forth children, woman, and you shall turn to your husband and he shall rule over you. And do you not know that you are Eve? God’s sentence hangs still over all your sex and His punishment weighs down upon you. You are the devil’s gateway; you are she who first violated the forbidden tree and broke the law of God. It was you who coaxed your way around him whom the devil had not the force to attack. With what ease you shattered that image of God: Man! Because of the death you merited, even the Son of God had to die… Woman, you are the gate to hell. –Tertullian, “the father of Latin Christianity” (c160-225)”Plato, who was certainly a pagan: “It is only males who are created directly by the gods and are given souls. Those who live rightly return to the stars, but those who are ‘cowards or [lead unrighteous lives] may with reason be supposed to have changed into the nature of women in the second generation’. This downward progress may continue through successive reincarnations unless reversed. In this situation, obviously it is only men who are complete human beings and can hope for ultimate fulfilment; the best a woman can hope for is to become a man” (Plato, Timaeus 90e).
Aristotle: ‘It is the best for all tame animals to be ruled by human beings. For this is how they are kept alive. In the same way, the relationship between the male and the female is by nature such that the male is higher, the female lower, that the male rules and the female is ruled.’ Aristotle, Politica, ed. Loeb Classical Library, 1254 b 10-14.
Women generally could not testify in pagan Greece, as they were classed with children and slaves in status. Plato felt that some exceptions could be made in homicide cases for women, children, and slaves, but only with the permission of all the (male) defendants and if the woman was older than 40 years of age, as infancy for a woman was considered to extend at least to age 30. See jstor.org/stable/262256?seq=1
Re the ability of pagan women in classical Rome to be witnesses, this is a complex issue, and was usually related to the period of history, the woman’s class status, her age, the wishes and desires of the man who had legal authority over her, either as a father (patria potestas), husband (manus) or slave owner; the nature of the court’s jurisdiction (they were sometimes permitted to testify in family court matters), whether they were testifying against a man (less likely) or another woman (more likely), whether they were acting as a disinterested witness or as a defendant, and the crime of which they were accused. Accused adulteresses could not testify at all, as they had dishonored a man in the past, nor could a wife accuse a husband of adultery in court under Julian law. There was also a blanket restriction against women testifying in very serious matters, such as homicide or forgery.
Women were greatly restricted in their ability to bring suit, but they were allowed to defend themselves in some restricted circumstances (and there are some examples of this in literature and histories, as with Maesia of Sentinum in 30 A.D., as reported by Valerius Maximus - her testimony was allowed because due to her noble, masculine bearing, she was felt to be an androgyne, possessing the honor of a man although in a woman’s body), although it was still felt to be preferable that a man should defend them.
The best resource on this is probably Judith Evans Grubb’s excellent Women and the Law in the Roman Empire, London: Routledge, 2002
As Skadi said, there were women who held positions as oracles, etc. who were held in high regard as the mouths of the gods, but it should also be considered that they were under the control of male priests (as was the Pythia, who was the female oracle at Delphi), and the gibberish she spoke after inhaling the methane or ethylene-laced vapors was then interpreted by exclusively male priests, the hosioi (“ὅσιοι”, “holy ones”) and the prophētai (“προφῆται”, singular prophētēs). Plutarch was one of these.
You’re welcome to post more quotes if you’d like, Skadi. I was responding to your request for evidence that pagan religions (and to the Romans and Greeks, religion and the state were unified under the polis a) believed that women had lesser souls than men, and that b) women’s testimony was considered less truthful than men’s. Your question asked whether there was evidence, which I provided to you, not whether one mediterranean culture was superior to another in its views towards women. Christ’s radical teaching on the equal worth and dignity of women was not found in those cultures.“· In pain shall you bring forth children, woman, and you shall turn to your husband and he shall rule over you. And do you not know that you are Eve? God’s sentence hangs still over all your sex and His punishment weighs down upon you. You are the devil’s gateway; you are she who first violated the forbidden tree and broke the law of God. It was you who coaxed your way around him whom the devil had not the force to attack. With what ease you shattered that image of God: Man! Because of the death you merited, even the Son of God had to die… Woman, you are the gate to hell. –Tertullian, “the father of Latin Christianity” (c160-225)”
I’m sure the pagan population of Rome stood in awe of such respect for women as this, certainly they found lavishing words as kind as this on their wives and daughters disgusting. Women on ancient times were unfortunately treated as second class citizens, regardless of dominant culture or religion. In fact for over a millennia the freest women on earth were not in the Roman Empire or Christian Europe but Germanic and Scandinavia, the rites and treatment of women after the adoption of Christianity in North Europe fell off significantly until the 18th century really.
Not to say that Christianity degrades women. But in ancient times the belief in male superiority was extremely prominent in ALL religions, whether based in dogma or not.
Shall I find more?
While the dictionary version of th word Pagan is a religion worshiping anything other than the god of Abraham, it originated as Roman military slang for farmer or country dweller, and eventually became equivalent to the modern term “Hick” as Christianity spread in city’s much more effectively then rural areas.It occurs to me that part of the problem, at least in this thread, is that the word “pagan” remains undefined. Even now, do we use the word as it might have been used 2,000 or more years ago?
There are a couple of points I’d like to bring up, but would like to learn how other posters define the term.