Palm Sunday

  • Thread starter Thread starter CatholicLife
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CatholicLife

Guest
During Palm Sunday is it okay to bring some olive branches from your house?
 
No, I wouldn’t think so because the priest has to bless the palms before Mass. Why would you want to though?
 
No–the priest blesses the palms used on Palm Sunday. They’re a sacramental.

I suppose if you really want to bring some, maybe you could ask the priest beforehand, and have them blessed? It seems kind of superfluous though.
 
During Palm Sunday is it okay to bring some olive branches from your house?
Priests bless crosses and cars, and houses and who knows what else. Why not? Get them blessed if it is important to you and just do it. Don’t worry- if you can’t the priest will tell you why, but if he refuses you… please let me know why he does.
 
I cannot understand WHY? It is Palm Sunday, not “olive branch Sunday”:confused:
 
From childhood in the 50s to today, I always bring a blessed palm home on Palm Sunday and place it behind the crucifix in our bedroom. Palms are blessed and they are burned to provide the ashes for Ash Wednesday. They are a sacramental.
 
Actually, this is what Paschale Solemnitatis says about Palm Sunday:
The palms **or branches **are blessed so that they can be carried in the procession. The palms should be taken home, where they will serve as a reminder of the victory of Christ, which they celebrated in the procession.
In some parishes, the ushers will hand out the palms to the faithful and then the priest will bless them and sprinkle Holy Water on them as the faithful hold the palm leaves up. At the Cathedral, I have seen people bring their own and these are blessed as well. There are also people outside the Cathedral who make crosses out of the palms and sell them to the faithful (prior to them being blessed). Unfortunately, it’s always a zoo and I hope that some day, the powers that be will make a statement concerning this matter. :confused:
 
I cannot understand WHY? It is Palm Sunday, not “olive branch Sunday”:confused:
**The Scripture, and at least the Pre V2 blessings, refer to “palms AND OTHER BRANCHES.”

Northern Europe, pussywillows were usually blessed, as that is what was available in days before air cargo.

In fact, the Ukrainians and Russians have such a big preference for pussywillows that they import them, though palms grow wild around here. Slavs call it “willow Sunday” in most such languages.

One curch in the south is fold of genuine Philadelphia Hosanna machines: a palm and pussywillows tied together with a ribbon and bell!

For reasons I don’t understand, Palm Sunday is bigger than Pascha for both Melkites and Antiochian Orthodox. Children come with fancy candle, ribbon, and palm combinations.**
 
I would ask your priest regarding this issue, although I do not see it as a problem. I know of several parishes that bless branches of palm, olive, et cetera.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top