F
Fredricks
Guest
I am tempted to get into an in-depth debate with an Anglican about the Papacy. I chuckle at that!
No doubt you present a very…reasoned Catholic(Anglo-Catholic…) apologist perpsective for the Papacy. I am familiar with the seed theory(not to be confused with seed theology of ORU grads). There is also no doubt in my mind that is not what the document cited is claiming when it says primacy over the whole church. I do not believe Clement, Linus, etc possessed that. If that was “known” to all the ages, you would not have a split or much disagreement over the Papacy.
It is exactly the kind of discussion we should be engaging in. The debate about authority(primacy), or overstepping one’s authority or understepping I suppose, is central to what seperates Christianity regardless of denomination. Historical events, and the results of them, must always be considered fresh. While that paradigm conflicts with those consumed with their understanding of Apostolic Succession, the Christian church marches on discovering OR REDISCOVERING a system set up so many years ago. We are not divorced from the history of OUR collective church.
We are participants in its continuation for future Christians.
No doubt you present a very…reasoned Catholic(Anglo-Catholic…) apologist perpsective for the Papacy. I am familiar with the seed theory(not to be confused with seed theology of ORU grads). There is also no doubt in my mind that is not what the document cited is claiming when it says primacy over the whole church. I do not believe Clement, Linus, etc possessed that. If that was “known” to all the ages, you would not have a split or much disagreement over the Papacy.
It is exactly the kind of discussion we should be engaging in. The debate about authority(primacy), or overstepping one’s authority or understepping I suppose, is central to what seperates Christianity regardless of denomination. Historical events, and the results of them, must always be considered fresh. While that paradigm conflicts with those consumed with their understanding of Apostolic Succession, the Christian church marches on discovering OR REDISCOVERING a system set up so many years ago. We are not divorced from the history of OUR collective church.
We are participants in its continuation for future Christians.