Paradise Lost. Anti Catholic?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Prodigal1984
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Prodigal1984

Guest
Hi all I have been interested in reading Milton’s Paradise Lost, but I was just wondering if it is anti Catholic in nature like Bunyans The Pilgrims Progress?
 
Last edited:
When the Index was still around, it was condemned by the Church.

Milton was fervently anti-Catholic. Early on in Paradise Lost there is a passage which depicts souls in cassocks and habits with rosary beads falling into hell.

Also, Milton’s theology is more in line with the Calvinism of the time, which is contrary to Catholic teaching. There is also the question of his Arianism through his implicit subordination of the Son in Paradise Lost. Not to mention his obvious sympathies to Lucifer in the text due to his own political support of the Revolutionaries against the King.

I think as a text, it’s certainly entertaining. But I wouldn’t recommend it if you do not have a strong Catholic understanding of Theology.
 
It is a decent piece of Western literature and should be read as a result, but it is by no means a theological treatise much less an apology for Catholicism.
 
Hunh. I knew Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress was anti-Catholic. I didn’t knew that about Milton’s Paradise Lost.
 
Yah. I read The Pilgrims Progress about a year ago. It’s an interesting allegory but it is definitely anti pope seeing as one of the antagonists is named pope.
Which is kind of why I was wondering about Paradise Lost, since it seems to be from another Protestant from the same general era.
 
Thank you. I mean I’m not like wavering in faith, I just see it as there’s plenty of wonderful Catholic writings. I’d rather not read something that is clearly anti Catholic, but I knew it is kind of a classic I’m western literature, so was just curious.
 
Totally fine to read it and appreciate it as literature, even if you don’t buy it’s theology. Reading things you don’t agree with is part of becoming a well rounded adult.
 
Milton was anti Catholic. I have an English degree and think that from a literary perspective it is a work of art. The way it is written is in blank verse and the meter is iambic pentameter, which is consistent throughout, it’s very impressive. The theology in it is not valid. I like to think of it more like fan fiction.
 
I learned it in college, and my professor was a strict, but kindJesuit.

It’s a fictional account of the fall. It’s not a theology book.
 
I’m not sure putting clergy necessarily means all clergy are bad, I agree.
There have been bad clergy, we are all aware of that.
 
Hi, I’m an English major and both literary works mentioned here were included in my studies.

Based on my studies, my professors told me that the authors at that time were concerned of Protestant reformations and were positive about them in Britain. Both authors did not object to this change. The author of The Pilgrims Progress was a Protestant preacher who disagreed with the Catholic Church, thus writing a religious allegory about this.

However, with Paradise Lost, it’s one of the greatest epic poems you can find. It does have some anti-Catholic motifs in this poem, but it’s really valued for its literary styles and imagery. Please keep in mind that the events happening in the poem are not based strictly from Biblical accounts. Some fictional elements are added. Therefore, it’s not classified as Christian allegory because it has some fictional accounts.

It’s a great read for its literary style and for the admiration of 17th century literature, but not for its theology that it is presenting.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top