Parents role in a situation

  • Thread starter Thread starter rosejmj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s also evidence that there are indeed things she considers bad enough to give anyone living in her house the choice of continuing or leaving.
Well, I don’t know. I think there are some here who have the attitude that their children are welcome to live in their house up to the point when they are so toxic they have to be cut out of their lives altogether. Some people honestly don’t have a middle ground between those two states of a relationship.
 
Last edited:
Of course, the parents also should respect their adult children enough to let them make their own decisions about certain things. If the parents are too heavy handed in their demands, they will likely alienate their children so that when the children do finally leave home, they won’t have much to do with their parents. I’ve seen this happen with some of my relatives.
+1 I’ve seen it too. Being too strict with the rules will ensure compliance while they need your help, but are you really teaching your kids how to succeed in their free-will or how to make good choices if you’re making them for them?

Emotional maturity is something college students don’t have not to be confused with financial maturity. There’s a big difference.
 
Last edited:
Compassion toward the moral good is assertive not demanding.
If the daughter follows the rules within the home, showing steadfast
kindness without condoning her life style reflects The Gospel.
If the daughter were to demand the home rules change and her boyfriend
move in, that would be another matter. I don’t think that is what is going on.
The Godly, not showing fleshly anger, would be to let her finish her degree.
~
Love is not demanding, is in The Holy Bible. So is avoiding doubt, worry,
and fear. So is, I worship, pray, give tithes, offering, and alms - thank God
I’m not like that sinner over their. Every once in a while assert the benefits
Jesus gives for the gift of virginity before marriage.
~
I do understand all of the concern here. The daughter quite naturally would
know the parents disapproval, and there treating her with love and concern anyway,
would only help her conscience.
Bishop Fulton J. Sheen would never be tolerant on principles. But he would
tolerate a fellow sinner.
~
Peace.
 
Compassion toward the moral good is assertive not demanding.
If the daughter follows the rules within the home, showing steadfast
kindness without condoning her life style reflects The Gospel.
If the daughter were to demand the home rules change and her boyfriend
move in, that would be another matter. I don’t think that is what is going on.
The Godly, not showing fleshly anger, would be to let her finish her degree.
~
Love is not demanding, is in The Holy Bible. So is avoiding doubt, worry,
and fear. So is, I worship, pray, give tithes, offering, and alms - thank God
I’m not like that sinner over their. Every once in a while assert the benefits
Jesus gives for the gift of virginity before marriage.
~
I do understand all of the concern here. The daughter quite naturally would
know the parents disapproval, and there treating her with love and concern anyway,
would only help her conscience.
Bishop Fulton J. Sheen would never be tolerant on principles. But he would
tolerate a fellow sinner.
~
Peace.
So, you’re saying if active religious orders don’t let their members stay in the order if they sleep around, they’re not being tolerant of sinners? It isn’t possible that they’re simply saying, “Having talked about your thoughts about having sleep-overs with your boyfriend–and yes, we understand you are “taking precautions” so you won’t become pregnant–we’ve come to the conclusion that our community isn’t the right community for you.” There is no way in the world that Bishop Fulton Sheen would condemn religious sisters as being intolerant of a fellow sinner for asking someone to leave their community because she doesn’t believe in practicing chastity. (NOTE: The OP is not talking about a daughter who has difficulty remaining chaste, even though she tries! The topic is a family member who has deemed chastity before marriage to be unnecessary and deliberately chooses not to live in a chaste manner. The topic is not an adult child still living in the parental home who has fallen into unchastity out of weakness, but rather one who rejects the rule of life in the parental home outright.)

People with adult children still have the right to have a domestic Church that runs according to the rule of life of the parents. Just as monasteries take in guests for a short time without doing a moral inventory of any kind, just so parents can host their adult children without anything like that. Those who live in their home, however, choose to live according to their rule of life.

The only question I see in the situation described by @rosejmj is whether or not the daughter’s rule of life is in agreement with the parent’s rule of life. Some parents here say yes, it is. Others say no, it isn’t. It seems pretty clear that it depends on what the parents can imagine themselves doing if they were young again or what boundaries they would think they would need on themselves if they were single again, frankly. (I say this because of those who believe that if I were to be widowed after menopause I should not concern myself about getting married again before becoming sexually active again.)
 
Last edited:
I don’t understand why there are over 300 posts. It seems pretty obvious that parents have the right to decide the rules that apply to those who live in their house.
 
I don’t understand why there are over 300 posts. It seems pretty obvious that parents have the right to decide the rules that apply to those who live in their house.
It has devolved into a discussion about whether it is intolerant to make the pursuit of chastity the rule of life in your own home and, to some extent, whether or not chastity is even a realistic expectation for those who hope to obtain a postgraduate education.
 
It has devolved into a discussion about whether it is intolerant to make the pursuit of chastity the rule of life in your own home and, to some extent, whether or not chastity is even a realistic expectation for those who hope to obtain a postgraduate education.
This is a wisdom thing. How do you teach your kids the moral way so they can of their own free-will make good decisions that don’t require overly strict rules? This is very difficult.

I agree that if she needs financial assistance, including a place to stay, she owes the parents obedience. But it’s equally important to have a relationship with your daughter and while I don’t think caving is the way to go, I do think you accept her ability and freewill to make immoral decisions. Prudence says to stay chaste till marriage (something my wife and I did) but not all children have that wisdom. The culture unfortunately teaches a lot about the importance of experience and getting what you want NOW instead of waiting for something important. That’s a very difficult reality to overcome.

There was a 29 year old Latin-mass Catholic woman I dated. Her father had control over many of her decisions since he gave her an allowance that paid for her living expenses even though she wasn’t yet working. In July 2013, the Lord broke us up. It was a huge blessing. Three years later to the exact date, I was on my honeymoon. My wife’s grandma died 5 months after we met and my father was beginning to have dementia only weeks after we started dating and we have walked together in faith from the very beginning (it was either the 2nd or 3rd week of dating that we went to both churches together).
 
Last edited:
I don’t understand why there are over 300 posts. It seems pretty obvious that parents have the right to decide the rules that apply to those who live in their house.
They’re mostly talking about how that will affect the relationship between the child and the parents which is a different matter altogether.
 
You won’t either way.
Agreed. The OP’s friend is clearly making and defending her own decisions with her parents. For better or worse, that much is a moot point.
I agree that if she needs financial assistance, including a place to stay, she owes the parents obedience.
I would actually differentiate between the issue of living in our home even with serious differences concerning the rule of life in our house and that of agreeing to give money to what you think is a worthwhile project even though the adult child working on the project has some serious differences with you on other fronts.

Again, that’s a matter of whether you feel you can cooperate, in good conscience–that is, a matter of not abdicating control over your own life choices as an adult. I don’t think it is right to imply to your adult child that you’d use money or shelter as “leverage” to force them into pleasing you. I’d say that is inappropriate because it is inappropriate to influence over what ought to be free decisions in that way. For instance, giving or withholding support based on whether your adult child agreed to marry someone you liked or agreed not to marry someone you didn’t like would be seriously inappropriate, regardless of how good or bad a choice your child was making in the marriage department. Parents can influence their adult children and their adult children can influence them, but some means of exerting influence are not appropriate.
 
Last edited:
That is obviously not what I was saying.
Peace.
Well, when you write, “The Godly, not showing fleshly anger, would be to let her finish her degree,” I think you’re saying the convent would also feel bound to let her stay on as a member of their community, too. I mean, I would count religious sisters among The Godly.

As for Archbishop Fulton Sheen, he would undoubtedly have said the daughter ought to be in obedience to her parents. Consider this passage he wrote about the Holy Family:

What makes the obedience of this Child all the more impressive is that He is the Son of God. He Who is the General of humanity becomes a soldier in the ranks; the King steps from His throne and plays the role of peasant. If He Who is the Son of God makes Himself subject to His Mother and foster father in reparation for the sins of pride, then how shall children escape the sweet necessity of obedience to those who are their lawfully constituted superiors? The Fourth Commandment, 'Thou shalt honor thy father and thy mother, has been broken by every generation since the dawn of man. At Nazareth children would be taught obedience by Him who really is the Commandment. In this particular instance, where the Child is Divine, one might think that at least He would have reserved for Himself the right of ‘self-expression.’ Mary and Joseph, it seems, could have with great propriety opened the first 'progressive school in the history of Christianity, in which the child could do whatever he pleased; for here the Child could never have displeased. 'And he who sent me is with me; he has not left me all alone, since what I do is always what pleases him [John 8: 29].

But there is no evidence that He gave to Mary and Joseph just the nominal right to command. ‘And lived there in subjection to them.’ God subject to man! God, before Whom the Angels, principalities, and powers tremble, is subject to Mary and to Joseph for Mary’s sake. Two great miracles of humility and exaltation: God obeying a woman; and a woman commanding God. The very fact that He makes Himself subject endows her with power. And this obedience lasted for thirty years. Three hours He spent in redemption; three years in teaching; thirty years in obedience. By this long span of voluntary obedience, He revealed that the Fourth Commandment is the bedrock of family life. In a larger way, how else could the primal sin of disobedience against God be undone except by the obedience in the flesh of the very God Who was defied? The first revolt in God’s universe of peace was the thunderbolt of Lucifer: 'I will not obey!'
 
Last edited:
If someone is going to school in some very expensive cities such as New York City or the San Francisco Bay area, even a very small place might cost $2000-3000 per month.
Well, then go to school in a place you can afford.

It says something to me that “adulting” is now a verb (and a gerund noun)–not a state of being, but an occasional practice that is deserves applause if it is practiced even occasionally. (As one pundit put it, the verb is generally used by those who “adult” less than 50% of the time.)
 
Last edited:
40.png
Thorolfr:
If someone is going to school in some very expensive cities such as New York City or the San Francisco Bay area, even a very small place might cost $2000-3000 per month.
Well, then go to school in a place you can afford.
Depending on what major someone wants, they might not be able to find a university that offers that major in a cheap city of their choice.
 
Last edited:
Depending on what major someone wants, they might not be able to find a university that offers that major in a cheap city of their choice.
The parents have no obligation to provide access to such a location through support.
 
The parents have no obligation to provide access to such a location through support.
I never said anything about “obligation.” Perhaps the parents love their child and want to help them to enter a profession that would be fulfilling for them. I never thought of my parents having an “obligation” to help me get through college or go to the college of my choice. I just always knew that they loved me and would help me as much as they could to have a happy and fulfilling life. They always offered their help without me ever asking. And I was always greatful for their help and did the best that I could to pay as much of my expenses as I could when I was in school and to excel in my studies.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top