B
betabeta
Guest
I’m so sorry that you lost your mother and she never had a chance to see the truth and goodness of your family and grandchildbetabeta, my parents never approved of my husband either. We started dating the spring of 02 while we were both in high school, got married winter of 07 while we were both in college, and had our first baby last month after we had both graduated from college. My mom died spring of 05 and at the funeral a coworker of hers asked how it was going with a certain tutor of mine… apparently mom was hoping I would end my current relationship and start dating the tutorJust a few months ago my dad said I need to make sure I can take care of myself if my husband leaves me
nice advice for a very pregnant lady. My husband is very sad that my parents do not like him. Dad is way too protective of “his baby” and refuses to acknowledge that I am an adult. I think if mom would have lived until her granddaughter was born, she would have changed her mind about my husband – what grandmother can be mad at the man that helped give her the first grandbaby – but that didn’t change dad’s mind. If anything, he’s giving more unwanted advice about raising the baby.
Be prepared for the fact that your parents might not change their mind and you might have to make some topics off limits or stop talking to them altogether until they respect you and your choices. Even if you are behaving like a foolish little child (it does not sound like that is the case btw) they need to respect the fact you are an adult and you need to make your own mistakes now. They can’t protect you forever. PM me if you want to talk in more detail since our situations seem similar.
Hopefully my discussion with my own parents goes ok tomorrow, but it is difficult to come to grips with the fact that they may never change their minds and continue to harden their hearts… I’ve read and re-read the book “Mom Factor” (by Christian psychologists Cloud & Townsend) which has helped me to examine my upbringing and myself and how they’ve influenced my situation. The nice thing is that it is written from a Christian perspective and focuses on seeking reconciliation and support rather than blaming one’s mother for all of the issues.
I hope that your father will realize how much the situation is hurting all of you and be more forgiving. My prayers are with you and your family and thank you for sharing your struggles!