Parish obligations

• Thread starter Thread starter T.More
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T.More

I have some questions concerning an individual Catholic’s relationship to his parish.

[1] What obligations, if any, does the Catholic have to his local parish (ex. attendance at worship, tithing, and other participation)?

[2] Is the relationship with the local parish covenantal? If so, what are the terms of the covenant?

[3] Is it ok for a Catholic to attend another parish simply because he likes one better than the other?

Thanks

1. “Other particpation” is very important. Being a Catholic means more then an hour a week. Our job is to help others as a Catholic.
  2. It is wrong. If you don’t like your parish, why not participate and do something about it. I notice the biggest whiners, are the people who don’t volunteer to change anything.

T. More:
I have some questions concerning an individual Catholic’s relationship to his parish.

[1] What obligations, if any, does the Catholic have to his local parish (ex. attendance at worship, tithing, and other participation)?

[2] Is the relationship with the local parish covenantal? If so, what are the terms of the covenant?

[3] Is it ok for a Catholic to attend another parish simply because he likes one better than the other?

Thanks
I think a Catholic has an obligation to support the Church with time, talent and treasure. While in most cases, that probably means joining their local parish, I don’t believe that there is any requirement that anyone attend any particular parish (such as the one closest to home).

Where I grew up, parishes were neighborhood based and ethnically based. But today they often take in much broader areas with several being equally distant from home for many.

I personally believe that it is important to select a parish (wherever it is) and become a part of that parish community (as opposed to going it alone). I also believe it is important to actively support the parish that you choose to attend (wherever it is). Support it financially as well as with contributions of time and effort.

I think the question of whether the parish relationship is covenential is best answered above my pay grade, however, that is not my understanding.

Finally, I think that you are free to select the parish that is right for you, regardless of where it is.

Blessings.

I know we have 15 churches in a five mile radius, so one out of the neighborhood is probably only so by a 1/2 mile…I also know people come in to my parish from other neighborhoods because we have an awesome priest. I can’t imagine that if you have a liberal church in your neighborhood, but you are a conservative Catholic, why you would have to endure that Mass instead of one that totally helps you worship and thank God. On the other hand, what can you really do to change your church if the priest is opposed to your way of thinking?

I’m sure some day our wonderful priest will have to move on. If we get a liberal priest and services change to where I can’t worship God to my fullest, I may try to effect change for a while, but I could foresee finding another church if I don’t perceive my efforts will help.

JELane

In the current Code of Canon Law, there is no obligation to belong to one’s geographical parish.

John

John: Thanks. That is helpful. Is there an obligation to belong to any parish at all (even outside of one’s geography) or may people lawfully roam at their discretion?

If there is an obligation, what obligations attend this commitment?

Thanks!

I wish people would CLARIFY when they say something is WRONG…wrong to WHOM? in that persons eyes or the CHURCHES?

You run a danger of misleading people in not clarifying whose “wrong” you are referring to

Like the other poster stated…it is NOT (wrong) to go to another parish if you are experiencing problems in the one(s) closet to or in your geographic area. CANON LAW speaks thus…NOT (I)

F2R: I am not sure how asking questions can be confusing. Indeed, I am asking b/c I don’t know.

Let me ask some related questions:

[1] What parish(es) does a Catholic have obligations to, if any? (i.e. none, one he registers in, geographic one (understanding this has been answered in the negative), etc.)

[2] What triggers these obligations, if any, to a particular parish? (I.e. registration, etc.)

[3] What are these obligations to that particular parish? Examples might (or might not) include an obligation to tithe to that particular parish, attend one or more services at that particular parish, donate time to that particular parish, or anything else.

[4] What is the source of these obligations? For example, canon law, Tradition, Scripture, etc.

I am very curious. Thanks!

If I understand it right, the Catholic Encyclopedia seems to teach that one becomes a parishioner by geography. Further, whatever rights and responsibilities that existr flow from the parishioner’s relationship to the parish (which is established by geography). From entry “Parish:”
The faithful become parishioners by acquiring a domicile or a quasi-domicile (see DOMICILE) within the territory, or by simply living in it for a month (Decree, “Ne temere”, on marriage, 2 August, 1907). Travellers, however, may address themselves to the parish priest of the locality, though without detriment to the rights of their own pastor.
The entry later says that these parishioners are subject to “parochial law, i.e., the reciprocal rights and duties of the parish priest and parishioners.” I am extremely curious about what these recipriocal rights and duties are. Can anyone point me to any resources?

The entry on domicile provides a little more information, indicating that one is not a parishioner outside his geographic parish:
“On the other hand those who have neither a domicile nor a quasi-domicile in a parish, who are only there as transients (peregrini), are not counted as parishioners; the parish priest is not their pastor and they should respect the pastoral rights of their own parish priest at least in so far as possible . . . Generally speaking, transients (peregrini) are not subjects of the local ecclesiastical authority; they are not held to the observance of local laws except inasmuch as these affect public order, nor do they become subjects of the local judicial authority.”
It sounds to me like traveling to another parish for a service that one perfers makes one a “transient,” not subject to that ecclesiastical authority. Further, I would be curious about under what circumstances traveling to another parish impinges on the rights of the parish priest.

Thanks

I have been reviewing the Code of Canon Law and it seems to me that parishes are ordinarily structured geographically (with limited exceptions for rite, language, or nationality), that the faithful are legally joined to and obliged to participate in their home parishes (determined georgraphically) and that priests are obligated to provide for the spiritual needs of those in their home parishes.

Canons 515 and 518 establish that the faithful are ordinarily affiliated with a parish by terms of geography (exceptions for language, nationality, or rite). This is the parish to which a person legally belongs. The faithful have obligations to their real parish (which is determined territorially):
Can. 209 §2 They [the faithful] are to carry out with great diligence their responsibilities towards both the universal Church and the particular Church to which by law they belong.
A priest has numerous obligations to those in his parish. See Can. 528, for example. I think it is interesting that the faithful are under the pastoral care and oversight of the priest in their territorial parish. I wonder what implications this has for those who travel to and participate in the life of other parishes. Does it mean that the person is without legal oversight, being functionally divorced from his own parish? I don’t see how it is possible for a priest to fulfill his obligations to people who don’t participate in the life of his real parish, as opposed to one he travels off to.

T. More

I have a question, which church am I a parishioner of?

… when we left our lifelong parish four years ago my parents registered our family with the parish across town so all our baptimsal & soforth records were there. I still attend this church once a week.

… about a year ago I began to go to a different Catholic church. It is the church of my youth group, where I have voulenteered for numerous things, and where I have gone to Daily Mass for the past ten months.

T. More

I wasnt referring to anything you asked…I was referring to another poster telling you it is wrong to go to another parish outside your geographic location. They were stating their own opinion.

Its a two way street…if the priest isnt fulfilling his OBLIGATION to his parishiners, ie…improper church teaching, liturgical violations, illicit Masses…then the faithful have a right to be propelry spiritually fed…they are not obligated to attend church there.

Also…even if the Priest was doing an okay job, but there is a church outside of ones location, that has beautiful statues, stainglass, ie… a great sense of holiness…it is not a sin to go to that parish which invokes in us a deeper sense of unity with the Holy and Supernatural.

People dont parish shop cause its fun (at least I hope not) one should only parish shop if serious problems occurred and they cant deal with it anymore. Who wants to drive further when Churches are close to home?

My case was a Church that didnt wish to address to the parish a comment made by another priest about being pro gay rights, pro abortion, etc…Opus Dei was made fun of by one of the Priests… they were liberal…I volunteered for Em…I was told there would be training and a ceremony afterwards…I got 2 days. One day was watching a video for 40 minutes…the second was just chatting with others and being handed some xerox copies of the G.I.R.M No ceremony or blessing at the least took place…I was given my schedule and that was that…I felt uncomfortable and stopped shorty before I quit that Church.

The other one I “tried out” (in my area) had the Tabernacle in the BACK of the church which caused confusion upon entering and where exactly to genuflect…the pews were set up some in a row facing front, some were facing othere pews…CHAOS is the nicest word Ic an offer…the priest was consecrating wine and THEN pouring it out in GLASS CUPS from a GLASS PICTURE…when he said this is the body of christ…he took ALL the little hosts and raised them up instead of the BIG ONE… he likened the founder of Mcdonalds to having a mission similar to that of Christ (they BOTH strived for something)

NO WAY am I or anyone “obligated” to stick around for that or any other serious abuses just cause by default we happen to have moved into an area that has such churches in our geographic locale

F2R: Are you aware of a canonical exception for those kinds of issues?

It sounds like you are treating this as an issue of private conscience. I would note that Protestant Reformers made similar kinds of arguments (and for what they described as much worse abuses), although they typically did not have the option of going somewhere else. This led to the separation from the Catholic church and the formation of new bodies. Of course, I am not suggesting that your views would lead you to do that, but I do see parallels.

Thanks

Meggie:

Legally, you belong to the parish of your domicile (where you live). That is the only factor that determines what your proper home parish is, unless you have an exception for language, nationality, or rite (such as being a Byzantine Catholic).

T. More

I live on the outskirts of town…there are four parishes, nearly equal distance from me…the one that I was Baptized in that my parents chose to leave had filled Mass with many abuses, and let a very willful decon speak out against the Pope. In that church I was in a Confirmation Class with a professed Wiccan(satinist, I think)

The church my parent’s chose to attend after is a Polish church…I am not one bit Polish…besides that the congregation is 90% older people, all whom are Polish. Many of the people were very suspicious of me as a teen going to Mass and I never could help the church in any way, yet they loved that my brothers served Mass.

The church I choose to attend for Daily Mass and my youth group is an Italian parish…I am part Italian but have never learned about this aspect of my heritage…I not only enjoy that, but I enjoy the people there. I have lectored, and in a pinch I even served Mass. I voulenteer without reserve there and the people appreciate my help.

I am confused about nationality…I am Irish and Italian and French Canadian…there are Irish, German, Polish and (two) Itailian parishes in town.

T. More:
Legally, you belong to the parish of your domicile (where you live).
You “belong” to the parish where you are regstered, although as I understand it the parish that baptized you collects all your records, when they are sent from the parishes that confirmed you, married you, etc.

Perhaps this varies diocese-by-diocese but my parish has registered members from all across our city, which has perhaps 100 parishes. Our diocese knows where everyone lives and what parish they’re registered in, and makes no effort to “put people where they belong”. That would simply make no sense. Has anyone called their diocesan office about this?

Let’s not make an issue out of something that common sense tells us, isn’t.

TCJ:

Is that position supported in canon law? I did not see anything about one’s parish being determined by where he registers. In fact, if I am reading things right, in most cases it is expressly determined by his place of domicile.

Here is a short excerpt.
Can. 515 §1 A parish is a certain community of Christ’s faithful stably established within a particular
Church, whose pastoral care, under the authority of the diocesan Bishop, is entrusted to a parish priest as its proper pastor.

Can. 518 As a general rule, a parish is to be territorial, that is, it is to embrace all Christ’s faithful of a given territory. Where it is useful however, personal parishes are to be established, determined by reason of the rite, language or nationality of the faithful of a certain territory, or on some other basis.

Note that a parish is to be “territorial,” which expressly means “to embrace all Christ’s faithful of a given territory.” I think it is also important to note that priestly obligations extend only to people within his parish (which is territorial).
528 §1 The parish priest has the obligation of ensuring that the word of God is proclaimed in its entirety to those living in the parish. He is therefore to see to it that the lay members of Christ’s faithful are instructed in the truths of faith, especially by means of the homily on Sundays and holydays of obligation and by catechetical formation. He is to foster works which promote the spirit of the Gospel, including its relevance to social justice. He is to have a special care for the catholic education of children and young people. With the collaboration of the faithful, he is to make every effort to bring the gospel message to those also who have given up religious practice or who do not profess the true faith.

By leaving one’s territory to participate in another parish, one is making it impossible or difficult for a priest to fulfil his duty toward that person.

I have heard that more conservative priests tend to be sticklers for this.

T. More:
Is that position supported in canon law?
Do you know if those canons are modifiable on a country-by-country or diocese-by-diocese basis? Many are. That’s why I suggested a call to your diocesan office. If you are really curious to know what the canon really means in your area, you can probably find a local canonist who knows.

Let’s not make an issue out of something that common sense tells us, isn’t.
I think this is an important issue. It determines how and where the faithful will fulfill obligations and exercise their rights. I think it is also relevant in terms of church shoping.

Is it ok for Catholics to just shop around for churches like Protestants do?

If so, how much discretion does a person have in choosing a parish?

Should parishes rework their liturgical styles to try and attract people to their parishes?

To me, there are numerous, practical questions for both clerics and the laity that arise from the discretion to choose one’s parish. The Code of Canon Law does not seem to envision such a thing, as it seems to require or at least presume that Catholics will participate in their parish of domicile.

Since I have not been comfortable with the “possibility” of being in any violations, and I am interpreting Canon Law to mean …(on other basis) that for various reasons a Catholic can go outside their bounds if unsound teaching exists in their locale… I decided to protect myself with the “power of the keys”…whatever is loosed, is loosed…bound…etc… so I contacted my Archdiocese late last night via email… The Chicago Archdiocese…known for a penchant of liberal parishes…and laid out my case…I explained that the few churches in my area that I ahve attended have been liberal among other things, and how we found a Church true to Orthodoxy, GIRM and RUBRICS…

I said a prayer to Jesus that whatever the answer would be, would come from one who is knowledgable in this matter and not biased one way or the other…(I feared a liberal secretary who would rip me up and be biased) and if I got an answer back that wasnt to my liking, I would simply begin a mission to check every single parish in my geo’ locale if that were to be the official RULE.

Here is part of what I wrote and the response I just got back via email…please keep in mind this speaks for the Archdiocese of Chicago, and like another poster said…this may vary by diocese…

I basically wrote that there is confusion about the matter of interpreting Code of Canon law as to choosing a Parish. Many good Catholics are “parish shopping” because of so many violations occuring in our churches, and are we truly forced to attend a church that would possibly leave one miserable due to violations and/or lack of spirituality solely cause its in our “territory”? I also asked…Am I obligated to research every single parish WITHIN my geo locale BEFORE the “possibility” of attending one outside my boundaries?

Archdiocese response:

To whom it may concern,

The Canons basically make the parish responsible for serving all the Catholics registered or not. It is not the Canons intent to restrict membership of a Catholic simply to a parish in geographic closeness to residence.

It is Archdiocesan policy that Catholics are free to worship where they feel most comfortable and at home. Hence, we would encourage you to register and attend the parish whose style of worship provides you with spiritual nourishment and sound teaching. It sounds like you have found such a place. Please join this parish knowing full well that you are in accord with Archdiocesan policy.

God Bless you!
Fr. Bob Tuzik, Ph.D
ODW Staff

For ME…that eases my mind and makes me HAPPY!

I would encourage EVERYONE to contact their Archdiocese out of obedience to make sure whether it is permissable to attend any parish we wish…be honest and dont forget to say a prayer that you get a knowledgable response…no matter WHAT the answer may be. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back