Parish obligations

• Thread starter Thread starter T.More
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catholics are part of a community, that community is the parish, which is a territorial, ethnic, or ritual division of the local church, that is the diocese. You should be registered in the parish where you will be worshipping, and become an active part of that community as far as circumstances allow. You will have to register to celebrate sacraments in that parish, and to have a record of your donations kept properly. You should support the parish financially, unless you are willing to worship in a tent without lights, heat and a/c. You should also support parish outreach such as St. Vincent, etc. You should contribute your time and talent by responding enthusiastically when volunteers are called upon, again as you are able.

We are called by virtue of our baptism to evangelize, to spread the good news. It is the responsibility of parishes–all the members, not just the pastor and staff–to assist parents in their primary duty of educating children in the faith and bringing them to the sacraments. This is a work of justice (see Zenit Vatican News service, July 31).

Your parish director of religious education will be issuing and invitation for catechists and volunteers in your parish. There is no better way to learn more about your faith than to teach it.

If priests have an obligation to the territory, should we have an a moral obligation to your neighbors rather then to live out our Catholic faith and role model behavior. How can a priest that might be too lenient in the celebration of Mass ever change if there is no one nudging him along? You’ve abandoned him.

I was hurt by the liberties the archdiocese of boston took in handling the sex abuse scandal, but I didn’t run away from MY parish and MY archdiocese due to the abuses that was directly effected. Sure I took alot of slack from laspe Catholics, but every week I attended that parish within that archdiocese. I stuck around to rebuild. I met people who didn’t want to be associated with a parish or an archdiocese that had a pedophile(s) in it, and thought parishes should be knocked to the ground.

I see people who even go to a different parish because of abuse in the liturgical sense, not building a faithful community but running away from the obligation to stick around and rebuild.

Honestly the reasoning sounds no different then a laspe Catholic crossing town to go to the Unititarian Universalist Church.

Your OPINION…and that is nothing more…that I have abandoned my priest is ignorant…

And its good to know that YOU seem to have more knowledge than the formal response and permission from my Archdiocese to worship outside my boundaries…

But even though you think you know better, I’ll follow what the PRIEST from the Archdiocese told me…and ALSO the Church itself I contacted, and explained why I waited (out of OBEDIENCE to the Archdiocese to await a reply) It was explained to me BEAUTIFULLY that like secular laws…there is the “Spirit of the Law” and the “Letter of the Law” and the intent of certain Canon(s) when worded as “open for interpretion” ie…(on other basis)… falls under the “spirit of the law”

You shouldnt be telling people they ABANDONED their priests…its a two way street…Priests also have OBLIGATIONS (according to Caon) to minister to us PROPERLY… you are setting yourself up as judging to know what (I) and a HOST of other Parish shopping Catholics have or havent done in trying to rectify any church problems before I left.

And NO…I dont owe you an explanation or story of what I DID try to accomplish.

How charitable… I was sharing my experience and my feelings on the subject. I thought I had a lot to offer on the situation. yes I was talking about ME, and how I felt when people leave OUR parish because they are too good for to inititate change.

I guess why can’t I ignore his response just as you ignore you former parish priest.

Priests do have obligations, but it is our job to hold them to that obligations by as I said “nudging” them along.

I been picking up the pieces in my archdiocese/parish hoping people will come home, but go find greener pastures whether it be conservatice or liberal if you wish I’ll be here.

In your first sentence, you say you were talking about yourself…but in the second part, you AGAIN, accuse ME…so I know you INITIALLY meant ME… 😉

You almost sound like a martyr at the end…“trying to pick up the pieces and (bring people home)”…do you mean getting them INTO Church…ANY church? then God bless you and much success… you are a better person than me.

But I humbly submit, its not WHERE people are attending church, that “brings them home”… its ATTENDING church…and I hope you aint trying to be a busybody in someones VERY PERSONAL decision to worship at another Church…cause as long as they are in compliance with their respective Archdiocese, registered and are assisting that parish of which they belong, they ARE (HOME)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back