• Thread starter Thread starter angell1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

angell1

duties of wives
  • THE CATECHISM OF TRENT: The Sacraments – Matrimony
“The wife should love to remain at home, unless compelled by necessity to go out; and she should never presume to leave home without her husband’s consent.”

what does this mean exactly? i really hope it’s not what it looks like at face value reading. very confused. because it really seems to say that wives are not allowed to leave the house unless it’s a necessity. maybe it’s a bad translation? or some missing context?

We’ve already had two threads on this within the past year alone.
40.png
Women need permission to leave the home? Moral Theology
The Catechism of the Council of Trent states, “The wife should love to remain at home, unless compelled by necessity to go out; and she should never presume to leave home without her husband’s consent.” Since doctrine cannot change, does this mean that women today need permission from their husbands to leave their homes?
40.png
Wives Needing Permission to Leave the Home? Moral Theology
Hello everyone! I’ve been doing some reading on the duties of husbands and wives in marriage, and I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on this. I’ve read that in the Catechism of the Council of Trent, it states that one of the duties of a wife is to not leave her home unless there is necessity and has her husband’s permission. This sounds absolutely absurd to me, because according to this logic a wife wouldn’t be able to go out with her friends for lunch (as it’s not a necessity). Was th…
I personally think it would be good if people focused on the moral guidance of the Church today, as expressed in the Catechism today, which is written for our world and its culture today, instead of reading a guidance document from the 1500s, which was written for the culture back then, and trying to apply it 500 years down the road. If we could just use the Catechism of Trent then the Vatican wouldn’t have spent so much time and effort writing a new one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nik
haven’t been on caf much lately, and honestly have a hard time looking at old threads, skips around too much with my software

I note that the Catechism of the Council of Trent also includes a prohibition on coveting your neighbor’s slaves::
The words, nor his servant, come next, and include captives as well as other slaves whom it is no more lawful to covet than the other property of our neighbour.
And one that says we’re supposed to honor kings and rulers and civil officials even if they are wicked, because their authority comes from God:
If we sometimes have wicked and unworthy officials it is not their faults that we revere, but the authority from God which they possess. Indeed, while it may seem strange, we are not excused from highly honouring them even when they show themselves hostile and implacable towards us.
This sort of thing should provide a clue that it was written for times very different than our own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nik
duties of wives
  • THE CATECHISM OF TRENT: The Sacraments – Matrimony
“The wife should love to remain at home, unless compelled by necessity to go out; and she should never presume to leave home without her husband’s consent.”

what does this mean exactly? i really hope it’s not what it looks like at face value reading. very confused. because it really seems to say that wives are not allowed to leave the house unless it’s a necessity. maybe it’s a bad translation? or some missing context?
The doctrine being addressed is the primacy of the family and marriage as the microcosm of the Church. From age to age the best interests of a family will look different and even be the opposite of what was best at another time.

Just keep in mind that Catechisms and the living Church are the gift of Gods will at any given time.

yes, no doubt about that, but it’s hard to tell sometimes, which things still apply and which don’t, especially when you have certain voices claiming that it should still apply

maybe it’s just the way it’s written, it does seem quite severe and binding

Hey I worked as a exec sales trainer…luxury…loved selling diamonds and training those under me.
Im home now
So I am now to care for our kids. Dh husband rule. Love it.
Or they take in the values of caretakers ewww. Brutal and stupid.

Ok I’m a stay at home mom. If you want to converse I will tommorrow night. Its 1:39 am.here
Love
Katie

Last edited:
By golly, we should not only follow that, but live in houses with no central heating, cook over wood or coal, MAYBE have an outhouse, and absolutely no running water.

Nor should we have any modern medicine; child birth at home is de rigeuer, and if she has a fever get someone to bleed her. And I will stop there.

What you are reading is a 500+ year old text; it is not doctrine nor is it moral theology but rather in the line of a disciplinary statement.

Since you appear to be reading the Council of Trent, have you read the documents of Vatican 1 and Vatican 2? Just curious.

it’s hard to tell sometimes, which things still apply and which don’t, especially when you have certain voices claiming that it should still apply
The reason for that is 1) anyone can get on the internet and sound like they are knowledgeable, and 2) people have far too little training in what the Church teaches, as opposed to the online guru.

There are multiple sources provided by the Church and by authors who follow the Magisterium, and several very good publishing houses which hew to what the Church teaches, as opposed to “personal opinion”. On another current thread there is comment about an individual who holds himself out as knowledgeable, but does not appear to have formal theological training (meaning something more than some undergraduate classes); the consensus is to avoid him as he does not represent Church teaching.

which is why i actually found the catechism of trent to check for myself if the passage was actually there. turns out it it is. but the logical implications of wives never stepping outside the house seem quite absurd

Sometimes people forget, the Catechism is not “Infallible”.

That is not what people in hell for being Anathema claim.

Please post Anathemas of the Council of Trent you believe are not binding today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back