"Passion of the Christ" Movie

  • Thread starter Thread starter stove
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stove

Guest
The Passion of the Christ: I have Googled and read many articles that the late Pope said about this movie “It is as it was”. This was apparently advertised on the movie home page etc. On the other hand, I have also read that the movie was anti-Semitic and had other problems. My question to the Catholic community is this: is this movie a good movie for Catholics to see? Please vote on if you think I should see this movie (I am an adult over 18 years old)

• See it, it accurately depicts the passion of Christ.
• See it, it has inaccuracies but accurately depicts Christ’s Passion.
• Do not see it, it does not accurately depict the passion of Christ.
• Do not see it, it is full of inaccuracies and is a product of the devil.
 
The movie takes certain artistic liberties that are not in the Synoptic Gospels, but it does not contradict them.
It is not anti-semitic. That is, it does not promote against the Jew as an ethnic race, but it does carry out the Gospels relating to the rejection by the RELIGION of Judaism, of their own promised Messiah.
From that standpoint it is anti-Juda**ism; a religion **that rejects the Messiah.
 
I saw the movie. It took the liberty to add some “special effects” but i don’t think the movie contradicts any teachings. I liked the movie…it made me see how much Jesus suffered 😦
 
I saw the movie. It took the liberty to add some “special effects” but i don’t think the movie contradicts any teachings. I liked the movie…it made me see how much Jesus suffered 😦
Yes it does and all for MY sins, my Lord and my God.
How much You love me, I could on this earth, never know. Thank you Thank you. My Lord ans my God.
 
The Passion of the Christ: I have Googled and read many articles that the late Pope said about this movie “It is as it was”. This was apparently advertised on the movie home page etc. On the other hand, I have also read that the movie was anti-Semitic and had other problems. My question to the Catholic community is this: is this movie a good movie for Catholics to see? Please vote on if you think I should see this movie (I am an adult over 18 years old)

• See it, it accurately depicts the passion of Christ.
• See it, it has inaccuracies but accurately depicts Christ’s Passion.
• Do not see it, it does not accurately depict the passion of Christ.
• Do not see it, it is full of inaccuracies and is a product of the devil.
I voted no. 2.
It may have some historical inaccuracies, but still captures Jesus’ Passion in a powerful way (I’ve heard a priest say that the Suffering depicted in the movie is only 1 percent of the actual Passion).

And about that comment of the Pope, “It is as it was", why was it said in some reports that the Pope did not actually say them but did not actually have any comment, thus it is some rumor? ‘What is the truth?’

IMHO, Even if the Pope commented or not, This is some Film you’ve got to see even if it is full of gore and blood. That is how much we cost. We were bought by the Blood of the Lamb.
 
Dear Stove, Go see the movie!

The artistic detail is extremely good, not the typical Hollywood varnishing over. There is a lot of symbolism there that will make you think. God bless Mel for following God’s inspiration to wake up people to the reality of Christ’s Passion.

After you see the movie Stove, please let us know your impression.
 
you left out another choice, did not see it, have no plans to see it because Mel Gibson’s movies are inherently too violent, way over the top to the extent that they indicate in my mind a profound inner disturbance, and I do not find anything either entertaining or edifying in his films. I am far more moved at this stage in my life by prayerful contemplation of the scriptural accounts of the Passion than in filtered mass media depictions.
 
you left out another choice, did not see it, have no plans to see it because Mel Gibson’s movies are inherently too violent, way over the top to the extent that they indicate in my mind a profound inner disturbance, and I do not find anything either entertaining or edifying in his films. I am far more moved at this stage in my life by prayerful contemplation of the scriptural accounts of the Passion than in filtered mass media depictions.
I’ll second that!
 
I’ll say something here…
The Passion of the Christ is a must-see movie (to those old enough to understand it). Why? Because, especially for ex-protestants, it gives a real idea of the suffering Christ did for us. While we all know that he suffered, was tortured, died, and was buried, do we really understand what scourging was? How it was in ancient times to go through the pain Christ went through? I say especially for Protestants because as Protestants, we focused on the Resurrection more so than the Passion. I cry and cringe every time I watch this movie, but after it makes me understand that our Lord really suffered a horrible price for us. I totally disagree with those who say that it’s too violent, I don’t think it gives us 10% of what He really went through. It’s certainly a horrible sight, but taken in context, it gives us more of an understanding, and for this reason, I will continue to remind myself and my family of what Christ went through for us.
 
you left out another choice, did not see it, have no plans to see it because Mel Gibson’s movies are inherently too violent, way over the top to the extent that they indicate in my mind a profound inner disturbance, and I do not find anything either entertaining or edifying in his films. I am far more moved at this stage in my life by prayerful contemplation of the scriptural accounts of the Passion than in filtered mass media depictions.
I agree with this, too. I did see the movie, but I don’t normally go to Mel Gibson’s historical movies because they are just too bloody.
 
I agree with this, too. I did see the movie, but I don’t normally go to Mel Gibson’s historical movies because they are just too bloody.
Well, Jesus’ Passion was very bloody. Would Mel sanitize that one to bring us His Passion without any blood? Would hardly be realistic.
 
If we’re afraid of blood to the point of reducing Jesus’s great act of love to a great act of nothingness, what does that do for us? Certainly I wouldn’t recommend kids watch something this drastic, but for those old enough to understand, it is not too gory in the passion sense. That’s the way it was.

The only part I don’t understand is why they have some children in there. That seems a little much for them to handle. That and some other things I won’t mention…this makes me a bit wary. But it don’t judge those that do see it, or books on it. I could be wrong about what the children were allowed to see and do or not. shrugs shoulders
 
For me, the movie was a film of the Stations of the Cross. In all the years I have done the Stations, they never resonated like they do now that I have seen this movie. I also felt that watching this movie was like watching all the great Caravaggio paintings come to life. It was breathtaking in it’s cinematic beauty.
 
The only part I don’t understand is why they have some children in there. That seems a little much for them to handle.
I think it would be easier on the child actors than on the children in the audience, since the actors could see that Jim Caveziel was really not being killed, that he was just acting. (well, except for the times that he fainted during the scourging!)
I let my son, 11 at the time, see it, as we all need to know what Jesus did for us.
 
I think it would be easier on the child actors than on the children in the audience, since the actors could see that Jim Caveziel was really not being killed, that he was just acting. (well, except for the times that he fainted during the scourging!)
I let my son, 11 at the time, see it, as we all need to know what Jesus did for us.
I don’t just mean about Jesus dying that might be scary for children. I mean, like, the demon children and the bird. That might be a little hard for them. Personally, I wouldn’t put my child through that until they were good and ready. I suppose I would know when that is. 👍
 
in my opinion, one wouldn’t understand how much Jesus suffered until he watches this movie. I always knew that Jesus suffered but i didn’t know “that much” since you can’t know this from the Bible alone.Visual aids are always good. This is the most important reason for me to see this movie again and again
 
in my opinion, one wouldn’t understand how much Jesus suffered until he watches this movie. I always knew that Jesus suffered but i didn’t know “that much” since you can’t know this from the Bible alone.Visual aids are always good. This is the most important reason for me to see this movie again and again
EXACTLY!!

I’ve read & heard what Jesus went through, but to see it the way Mel Gibson put it together :eek: honestly, changed the way I see our Lord and what he went through. (It brought me to the chruch…I had never went before.)

Powerful & lifechanging!

My mother NEVER EVER watches anything bloody or violent.
She wouldnt’ even watch westerns w/ my dad.
This past Easter weekend I got her to watch it.
THANKS BE TO GOD.
After never attending Mass in 35+ years or even opening a Bible…she never misses Mass now, reads her Bible that I bought for her, asks questions, attends Bible studies with me.
It was a wonderful tool to help her to see how much Our Lord loves us.

That movie changed our life.

Obiously, I’m for anyone who is old enough to go see it.

There are a few things that aren’t in the Gospels, but it all seemed to serve it’s purpose.
 
THIS IS NOT A PUT DOWNAt this instance I believe that it might be a good idea to show you something that is showing here that we all might not have noticed.
It comes under the heading of “comfort zones” although I know that every person generally speaking has their own comfort zone in this instance there seems to be something to be aware of, and it is this.
1: look at the similarities of these points and the Jewish leaders of the time of Jesus, the Sadducees, Pharisees etc.
2: This is NOT a put down, but please see it from the point of God’s ways are definitely NOT our ways. **Jesus DID die a horrible death. **3:
Imagine taking on EVERY action of sin of the world from beginning to end of time, and knowing it. With ALL the furyof satin forcing against Jesus.
4: Imagine taking in every thought in sin of every person in and will be in the world till the end of time.
5: Imagine the pure love of Jesus that was bursting from Him even in Gethsemane before the scourges, the brutal kicking, punching, spitting, slapping, crowning and more.
6: Jesus took the leaders of the time out of their comfort zone and mass against 1 person was never going to win.

For this reason I don’t think we can compare a humanistic films, say, “The Highlander” (of Mel Gibson) to “Passion of Christ”. The “Highlander” which I did see and only lasted watching it for about three minutes because it was too gruesome, for me.

Now look at what we have when we put our human thought to spiritual a films, “Passion of Christ”.
you left out another choice,
did not see it,
**Many of those mentioned above did not come to see Jesus **before they passed judgment on Him.
have no plans to see it because Mel Gibson’s movies are inherently too violent,
Nor did they have planes to see Him but they sent others to do the dirty work. way over the top to the extent that they indicate in my mind a profound inner disturbance, and
They said that He was mad over the top and very deranged, not a good role model.
I do not find anything either entertaining or edifying in his films.
**They looked at the situation in a manner of comfort and could find nothing either entertaining or edifying,
**but rather the opposite.
I am far more moved at this stage in my life by prayerful contemplation of the scriptural accounts of the Passion than in filtered mass media depictions.
And why did the leaders take this option? because they were not used to this kind of teaching that had life in it, told the truth, that Jesus really did happen to be the Messiah.
Possibly our human thought may need to be re channeled.
God bless
 
in my opinion, one wouldn’t understand how much Jesus suffered until he watches this movie. I always knew that Jesus suffered but i didn’t know “that much” since you can’t know this from the Bible alone.Visual aids are always good. This is the most important reason for me to see this movie again and again
I have no doubt this movie was a good spiritual experience for some people. that being said, Christians for 2000 years have had no difficulties in “getting it” through meditation on gospel accounts of the passion. the writings of the saints are evidence of their ability to understand, within human limitations, the sufferings of Christ without “visual aids.” for that matter, Stations of the Cross and other religious art have been “visual aids” for Christians throughout history, so have Passion Plays and other expressions of popular piety. It was not necessary to wait for Hollywood to have deep understanding of the meaning of the Passion, Death and Resurrection of Christ through Scripture and the sacraments.
 
I’ll say something here…
The Passion of the Christ is a must-see movie (to those old enough to understand it). Why? Because, especially for ex-protestants, it gives a real idea of the suffering Christ did for us. While we all know that he suffered, was tortured, died, and was buried, do we really understand what scourging was? How it was in ancient times to go through the pain Christ went through? I say especially for Protestants because as Protestants, we focused on the Resurrection more so than the Passion. I cry and cringe every time I watch this movie, but after it makes me understand that our Lord really suffered a horrible price for us. I totally disagree with those who say that it’s too violent, I don’t think it gives us 10% of what He really went through. It’s certainly a horrible sight, but taken in context, it gives us more of an understanding, and for this reason, I will continue to remind myself and my family of what Christ went through for us.
I agree. It *is *violent, but then so was Christ’s Passion (and I think now there is an edited version that has taken out some of the more violent moments during the scourging, etc.) I walked away from that film with a much greater understanding of the suffering Our Lord went through --something I could never have imagined on my own. Now praying the Stations of the Cross and the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary are a different experience for me since viewing that movie.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top