Past Sins

  • Thread starter Thread starter scc11
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scc11

Guest
I was wondering what the rule was on confessing past sins if you went to confession and didnt confess a sin not because you were withholding it on purpose but because you totally forgot about it?
Reason I ask is, I was just reading my catechism and was reading about using the Lord’s name in vain. About a month ago I accidently said G-D. :mad: I know. Before I came back to the church I would say this constantly but now I don’t. This one just totally slipped out and I didnt mean to say it at all.
I went to confession about two weeks ago and confessed a different sin, not this one. I totally forgot about this one.
What should I do.
I know that if we go into confession with the intent of confessing all mortal sins we are forgiven but I just want to make sure.
Sometimes past sins will pop up in my head that I didnt confess before but I dont know whether to confess or not?
Some say yes some say no because you were absolved of them before.
I do an examination of conscience before I go to confession and try to remember as many as I can but sometimes a few slip by me.
Any thoughts or advice?
 
I was wondering what the rule was on confessing past sins if you went to confession and didnt confess a sin not because you were withholding it on purpose but because you totally forgot about it?
Reason I ask is, I was just reading my catechism and was reading about using the Lord’s name in vain. About a month ago I accidently said G-D. :mad: I know. Before I came back to the church I would say this constantly but now I don’t. This one just totally slipped out and I didnt mean to say it at all.
I went to confession about two weeks ago and confessed a different sin, not this one. I totally forgot about this one.
What should I do.
I know that if we go into confession with the intent of confessing all mortal sins we are forgiven but I just want to make sure.
Sometimes past sins will pop up in my head that I didnt confess before but I dont know whether to confess or not?
Some say yes some say no because you were absolved of them before.
I do an examination of conscience before I go to confession and try to remember as many as I can but sometimes a few slip by me.
Any thoughts or advice?
I’m not a priest or theologian, so don’t take this as official Church teaching, but I wouldn’t be so worried about it.

Next time you go to confession, just mention that you had used God’s name in vain and forgot to confess it.

In my opinion, this is not a mortal sin (even though it is of grave matter) since you didn’t commit it with “full knowledge and deliberate consent.”

From the catechism:
1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: “Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.”
 
Left an abusive husband years ago,separated for many years…few years ago,.made a bad moral choice in sleeping with a man,and had his baby.I look at our precious little boy,and I can’t believe it was evil,under the circumstances.I don’t know if I should keep asking God’s forgiveness for this sin,as I am not completely out of the relationship with this man.I ask God’s forgiveness,and I am sincerely trying to move in a different direction all together.I stopped smoking!((Hough I only smoked once or twice a month),so maybe that’s a sign that I can make a permanent turn away from sinning in that way all together.I want to be morally clean again,but I don’t want to be alone.
 
Left an abusive husband years ago,separated for many years…few years ago,.made a bad moral choice in sleeping with a man,and had his baby.I look at our precious little boy,and I can’t believe it was evil,under the circumstances.I don’t know if I should keep asking God’s forgiveness for this sin,as I am not completely out of the relationship with this man.I ask God’s forgiveness,and I am sincerely trying to move in a different direction all together.I stopped smoking!((Hough I only smoked once or twice a month),so maybe that’s a sign that I can make a permanent turn away from sinning in that way all together.I want to be morally clean again,but I don’t want to be alone.
Leaving an abusive husband is not a sin but as you are still married having a sexual relationship with another man is a sin of grave matter. To be reconciled with God and the Church you will have to cease all sexual activity permanently.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top