Pastor and confessor

  • Thread starter Thread starter billcu1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

billcu1

Guest
Why do some people say that your Pastor should not be your confessor? All my previous Pastors have been my confessors while they were here and not moved to somewhere else in the Diocese by the Bishop.

Bill
 
Why do some people say that your Pastor should not be your confessor? All my previous Pastors have been my confessors while they were here and not moved to somewhere else in the Diocese by the Bishop.

Bill
I don’t think I’ve ever heard that, except by some folks that are uncomfortable going to confession to someone that knows them. However, there is the belief that your pastor should not also be your spiritual director, which might be what you’re thinking about. In that case, I think it’s to maintain a neutrality on the part of your spiritual director so he can be more objective.
 
I don’t think I’ve ever heard that, except by some folks that are uncomfortable going to confession to someone that knows them. However, there is the belief that your pastor should not also be your spiritual director, which might be what you’re thinking about. In that case, I think it’s to maintain a neutrality on the part of your spiritual director so he can be more objective.
Some people like the blinds too so that Fr. can’t see them. I just go in and sit and talk. Some of my sins seem to center around a central theme and they are sins of the flesh of course. I don’t know who would make a good spiritual director. Someone that is a non-cloistered monk or nun I would think.

Bill
 
Maybe you’re thinking of chuch employees? A pastor typically won’t be a confessor for his own employee. Other than that I would think that the pastor would be a regular confessor to many/most of his flock.
 
During a recent conversation, our pastor and several parishioners were talking about past reconciliation services and I remember him saying something about how there is an authority (I don’t know if that was the word he used, but I can’t remember exactly what he said) reserved to the pastor of a parish to forgive the really serious sins of his parishioners. Why would that be the case if the pastor shouldn’t be your confessor?
 
During a recent conversation, our pastor and several parishioners were talking about past reconciliation services and I remember him saying something about how there is an authority (I don’t know if that was the word he used, but I can’t remember exactly what he said) reserved to the pastor of a parish to forgive the really serious sins of his parishioners. Why would that be the case if the pastor shouldn’t be your confessor?
I’m not finding this in the Code of Canon Law. Perhaps he was speaking of the lifting of excommunications, but I’m not seeing anything specifically about parish priests.

vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P51.HTM
 
Why do some people say that your Pastor should not be your confessor? All my previous Pastors have been my confessors while they were here and not moved to somewhere else in the Diocese by the Bishop.

Bill
Such is* fine.*

👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top