Patron Saint?

• Thread starter Thread starter LydiaW
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LydiaW

I want to ask about how you pick a patron saint? Am I supposed to have a special moment where i realize who it is? I really would love to get the medal of whatever saint would be appropriate for me.

I would look for one that is similar to you, someone who you can look to as a model for living the faith. It might be someone who shared the same struggles as you or came from a similar background or just someone who particularly inspires you. Also, some saints are patrons of certain causes, professions, or groups of people.

Here’s a good site that organizes them all by name and topic:
catholic-forum.com/saints/patron02.htm (by name)
catholic-forum.com/saints/patron00.htm (by topic)

An other idea is to consider the Saints whose name you share. I believe that it has always been a requirement of the Church that at Baptism, children are given the name of a Saint. My name is Kathleen Anne so I have looked at St.'s Catherine (of Genoa, of Sienna, etc) and St. Ann, the mother of our Blessed Lady. At my confirmation I took the name Maria. At 11 years old, I had not a clue as to what I was doing, but now I think I know why I have such a special devotion to Mary.

hmm…well, I looked, and even though Lydia was a woman in the bible, she is not a saint. The websites that were posted have helped me learn more about different saints, but I am having a hard time choosing an appropriate topic. I have had a lot of problems in my life, and so it’s kinda hard to choose one thing.

Lydia,
Here are a couple of ideas: Pick a Saint sort of randomly, maybe one of the ones you came across but weren’t sure of and read their biography. As a woman, I definitely want a woman as my patron, but I guess it wouldn’t have to be.

The other idea, is to get a book on the lives of the Saints. I saw a book recently on new Saints (maybe they aren’t as busy). Ask your guardian angel to help.

I don’t think, if you pick one for now, you can’t change your mind later. After all the saints are very holy and therefore will probably be very understanding.

Good luck. I am praying for you. Make the searching for a patron a part of your spiritual life.

Is there any chart somewhere of what your name could “equal”? I’ve looked at the Saint whose feast day is on my birthday, and I’ve tried to look at ones whom are the patron saints for certain things I am interested in (but a lot of them seemed like their stories were unrelated so I started looking for ones whose stories I felt spoke to me) - but it just would be really nice if one of my names really was a saint name. One is an old testament name, that was listed on one of the Saints names listings - but since they’re not officially canonized??? I don’t think that counts does it?

AmISearching?:
Is there any chart somewhere of what your name could “equal”? I’ve looked at the Saint whose feast day is on my birthday, and I’ve tried to look at ones whom are the patron saints for certain things I am interested in (but a lot of them seemed like their stories were unrelated so I started looking for ones whose stories I felt spoke to me) - but it just would be really nice if one of my names really was a saint name. One is an old testament name, that was listed on one of the Saints names listings - but since they’re not officially canonized??? I don’t think that counts does it?
The Church recognizes three sources of sainthood: biblical, traditional and canonical. All three sources are valid. Certainly holy people contained in the bible should be saints. Would you exclude Moses, Elijah, Esther, Ruth, or Judith? Traditional saints were those of the early Church, many of which were martyrs, who were acknowledged by one or more Christian communities as worth of honor. And finally we have canonical which is the bestowing of sainthood after a formal process of verification.

I would not hesitate to choose from any of the three sources for your patron saint. 👋

Thanks - its not so much that I didn’t think they should count, but I hadn’t heard about the three types of Saints - so I thought they all had to be specifically canonized… Thanks for the explanation…

it’s funny, Ruth is my middle name…
Anyhow, I got some Saint books from the library, and I have been looking them over, and I agree that I want my patron saint to be female. My Dad, who is I think drawn to the Catholic Church, but afraid to leave the church he is in now, wear’s a St. Jude Medal in secret, and has a St. Jude Candle which I light and say the prayer on it for him when I come over to his house and remember to. So, I guess I want a Saint to watch over me too. None of the saints I have found really share the same events in my life as me though…So I think I will keep looking…

40.png
LydiaW:
hmm…well, I looked, and even though Lydia was a woman in the bible, she is not a saint. The websites that were posted have helped me learn more about different saints, but I am having a hard time choosing an appropriate topic. I have had a lot of problems in my life, and so it’s kinda hard to choose one thing.
Are you sure Lydia was not a saint? Only God knows. There is an old saying, “Grow where you are planted.”

Deacon Tony

Well, Lydia was the first convert to Christianity in Asia. She was converted by Paul. She offered to let Paul stay in her home as a guest while he was in the area, and he accepted. She was also a business woman, she sold purple fabric, and purple was a sign of royalty, and only nobility and the rich wore it. I think it would be wonderful if she was a Saint.

AmISearching?:
I think an OT saint would be all right. As a Lay Carmelite, I know we acknowledge Elijah the prophet as St. Elijah. And the names of several OT persons are recited in the intercession of the saints on All Saints Day. Just ask your priest about it, if you aren’t sure.

40.png
LydiaW:
it’s funny, Ruth is my middle name…
Mine too =) though I am still looking as well. Personally I may end up with a handful of Patron Saints =) I just wish I could find more information on some of them…

40.png
LydiaW:
Well, Lydia was the first convert to Christianity in Asia. She was converted by Paul. She offered to let Paul stay in her home as a guest while he was in the area, and he accepted. She was also a business woman, she sold purple fabric, and purple was a sign of royalty, and only nobility and the rich wore it. I think it would be wonderful if she was a Saint.
LYDIA PURPURARIA
Memorial - 3 August
Profile - Lay woman. Business woman in Thyatira, dealing in purple cloth, the most expensive type in the 1st century Middle East. Paul’s first known convert.
Name Meaning - purple seller (= purpuraria)
Canonized - Pre-Congregation (Traditional)
Patronage - dyers
Readings - "On the sabbath we went outside the city gate along the river where we thought there would be a place of prayer. We sat and spoke with the women who had gathered there. One of them, a woman named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth, from the city of Thyatira, a worshiper of God, listened, and the Lord opened her heart to pay attention to what Paul was saying. After she and her household had been baptized, she offered us an invitation, “If you consider me a believer in the Lord, come and stay at my home,” and she prevailed on us. "

-Acts 16:13-15

Pre-congregational means that she was acknowledged a saint prior to the implementation of the formal canonization process.

Oh I just looked on the Saints by name link and found her. Do you think she should be my patron saint because I am named for her?

Lydia,

I don’t know you, but St. Lydia was certainly a woman of the world. You said that your Dad was not a Catholic but loves God and that maybe how it was for Lydia after she converted. Why don’t you pray to her and she what happens. Maybe she will give you a sign.

Love,

Kathy

ok…good idea…I am definantly not a really outgoing person, like she was though. Is there a special prayer I should pray to her?

40.png
LydiaW:
ok…good idea…I am definantly not a really outgoing person, like she was though. Is there a special prayer I should pray to her?
O HEAVENLY Patron, St. Lydia, in whose name I glory, pray ever to God for me: strengthen me in my faith; establish me in virtue; guard me in the conflict; that I may vanquish the foe malign and attain to glory everlasting. Amen.

The above is only a suggestion. Prayer is only a conversation, sometimes your own words are better than any composed by others.

:blessyou:

wow thank you for the prayer. I looked online and she isn’t popular enough to have a medal or anything…should i have two patron saints? her, and another?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back