Patron Saints

• Thread starter Thread starter HOMEWARD-BOUND
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HOMEWARD-BOUND

I would like to know who your Patron Saint is and how you selected him or her. And any thoughts you may have in selecting a Patron saint.

Thank you !

my patron saint is the grandmother of the Lord, and the name was chosen by my parents at baptism because my mother liked the name. for CCD when we dress as saints, I just come as I am and tell the kids I am dressed like a grandma, which I am, like my patron.

Christina the Astonishing, Marie (Our Lady) Theresa (Little Flower & Avila)… 🙂

I dont have a Saint. What does it mean to have one? How do you go about choosing one?

My father wore a Saint Christpher medalion all the time.

40.png
betra2000:
I dont have a Saint. What does it mean to have one? How do you go about choosing one?

My father wore a Saint Christpher medalion all the time.
What is your first and middle name…in the real world?

Usually, Catholic children are named after Saints. And they choose a Saints name for confirmation also.

But if you don’t have a Saints name, you can just pick your favorite. From then forward, you can count on that Saint to interceed for you in prayers. 🙂

I don’t need to pick one yet (I’m not even in RCIA yet!) but I’m siding towards St. Angela Merici…

However - I am also so far quite fond of St. Francis de Sales - but I’m not going to take a male name, but theres certainly nothing wrong with “claiming” him anyway!

When I was going through RCIA in a (at the time) liberal parish we were discouraged from picking a saint’s name for our confirmation, so I didn’t choose one then. But, I have chosen a few saints for my patron saints for various needs and aspects of my life.

I chose St. Catherine Laboure as my confirmation saint (strictly personal, but not official) because Our Lady was instrumental in leading me into the Church and St. CL was the visionary of the Miraculous Medal apparitions and I share a version of her name.

I chose St. Bernadette because the apparitions of Lourdes drew me into exploring Marian theology and devotions, which was a part of the process that brought me into the Church.

St. Dypmhna helped me recover from the effects left over from my days in a cultish Pentecostal sect, so she is one of my patronesses.

St. Michael came to my rescue at the request of Jesus and Mary to deliver me from a demon sent by Satan to oppress me. So, the Archangel Michael is my champion and the guardian of my salvation.

I was received into the Lay Carmelite Order on May 5th, which is the feast day of St. Angelus, a Carmelite priest, convert and martyr. He has been the guardian of my Carmelite vocation ever since.

And, last by by no means least, St. Therese of Lisieux who is the patroness of my Lay Carmelite community and my guide in living the Rule of St. Albert according to her “Little Way.”

St. Cecilia is my “official” chosen patroness- I took her name at my Confirmation. She is the patroness of musicians, and has interceded fairly often for that aspect of my life.

My middle name is Anne, so St. Anne is also a patroness.

And my vocation is that of a scientist, so St. Albert the Great, patron of scientists, is also a personal patron.

I came into the church Easter 2004. I had studied the life of Padre Pio for years. I really felt like his guidance and intercession led me into the church. I chose him as my confirmation name. I have been asking his help ever since.👍

Mary is my patron, and also my name. Can’t think of a better choice. I have devotion to other saints as well, but Mary is the number one.

Stephen Michael Francis.
My cousin Loretta who was also my godmother picked the name Stephen, can’t recall how Michael & Francis were chosen.

I wanted to have the confirmation from St. Universal. Meaning I wanted to choosed every saint to pray for me. That wasn’t an option.

I came into the church Easter '05 and my patron Saint is St. Monica

Patronage abuse victims; alcoholics; alcoholism; difficult marriages; disappointing children; homemakers; housewives; married women; mothers; victims of adultery; victims of unfaithfulness; victims of verbal abuse; widows; wives I chose her for her patronage to wives, married women, and mothers.
I like how she prayed for her son until she died and he eventually converted. She inspired me.

catholic-forum.com/saints/saintm04.htm

newadvent.org/cathen/10482a.htm

My patron saint is St. Nicholas (as my first name is Nicholas). I also just called my mom to ask her about my patron saint and she said she’s pretty sure St. Michael was what I took at confirmation.

Lucy de Syracuse was my chosen patron saint at the time of my Confirmation and 1st Communion when I converted. I chose her because I do not have the greatest of eyes and to also help aid me in avoiding “spiritual blindness”. Seeing is not believing, but believing is seeing - I choose to see! (sometimes she can give me a little boost when I need to open my eyes to the Lord’s blessings around me)

My Confirmation Patrons are George (the patron of Scouts) and Edward the Confessor. As of late, I have also been particularly drawn to St. Francis of Assisi, St. John Vianney, and St. Benedict of Nursia. (There’s a bit of a pentinence/monasticism theme here for some reason…). Also a big fan of St. Peter and the other Apostles.

I also call on the intercession of St. Michael the Archangel.

I am a member of the Militia Immaculata and enrolled in the Brown Scapular, so Our Blessed Mother is very dear to me. (I sometimes invoke OL of Loreto–I am a hot air balloon crewman) Incidentally, I’ve belonged to St. Mary’s parish in the next town for a long time…

Pax Vobiscum!
-ACEGC

40.png
betra2000:
what is your baptismal name? check one of the many saint sites and links for that name and learn about your patron.

I was baptised just this past August. I came from a Wiccan/Pagan background, and was in to it pretty deep. So, I thought it fitting as my baptismal name and patron saint to choose Saint Benedict. And ever since I first came to the church a year and a half ago, he has been a constant presence in my life.

Pax,
Dean

St. Francis de Sales. I feel “bad” really in feeling such an affinity for him when he’s so popular. I love reading about the saints, and upon reading St. Francis’ story, I knew he was my kind of man. He was so dedicated to getting his message out there and went through so much pain, torture, and humiliation to do so. His relationship with the children in the village reminds me of my “child-magnet” self. His finally breaking through to the people through his writings speaks to me. I so often feel myself comparing notes, so to speak, between my life and St. Francis’. It reminds me to never give up, but just keep searching for the right way in.

The world holds us to be fools; let us hold it to be mad. -St. Francis de Sales

People can pass thirty nights in dancing and no one complains about it, but if they watch through a single Christmas night they cough and claim their stomach is upset the next morning. -St. Francis de Sales

Hypocrisy cannot last long but is quickly dissipated like rising smoke, whereas true virtue is always firm and constant. -St. Francis de Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back