Paul’s Ethics

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoelFitz

New member
Did Paul introduce any new ideas into his ethical teaching? Was in based on the famous both/and idea of Catholic teaching, stressing Jewish traditional morality and Stoic/Cynic ideas? A possible exception might be his ideas about eating food offered to idols.

Did his views on the importance of faith in Christ influence his ethical teaching.? If so what were the new ideas in his ethical teaching?
 
Paul’s Jewish ethics were completely replaced with Christ as the fulfillment of the law. He once practiced parsing the law and hedging it to derive right practice. After meeting Christ, parsing the law was no longer a requirement since it is fulfilled in the law of love. When Christ enables you to place God and others before yourself, he has reversed what Adam broke. Because of Adam we habitually and sinfully place ourselves before God and others.

There is no ethical question that can’t be answered by understanding love.
 
Did Paul introduce any new ideas into his ethical teaching? Was in based on the famous both/and idea of Catholic teaching, stressing Jewish traditional morality and Stoic/Cynic ideas? A possible exception might be his ideas about eating food offered to idols.

Did his views on the importance of faith in Christ influence his ethical teaching.? If so what were the new ideas in his ethical teaching?
YES …Christ became the hinge of everything. And yes Faith in Christ was also very much part of things:)

(read Pinckaers on this)

As for the stoics etc read vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/audiences/2008/documents/hf_ben-xvi_aud_20080702_en.html
 
Rcjones,

thanks for your reply.

I agree with you that Paul considered love vital.

But did Paul recommend ethical behavior which the good Jew or Gentile would not follow? His sexual ethics and approach to idols seem to be in conformity with Judaism.
 
Bookcat,

I appreciate your reply.

I agree that Paul is Christ centered. But was the behavior of a Pauline Christian different from a good Jew, excluding certain foods and Sabbath observances, which we have already discussed?
 
Bookcat,

I appreciate your reply.

I agree that Paul is Christ centered. But was the behavior of a Pauline Christian different from a good Jew, excluding certain foods and Sabbath observances, which we have already discussed?
I can not vouch for every early Christian etc…but the very fact that the Teachings of Jesus went well beyond such…to the “abundant excess etc” I would say that a Christian who lived as A Christian could exceed such…and yes Paul too would have taught more than what Jews would have done…even the example of Love etc…is wider in how Christians would have lived…(again I am sure there must have been some Jews who lived such well…etc)

Read Pinckaers on Pauls Ethics and how they were Christ centered etc
 
Bookcat,

I agree with you.

My aim at present is to try to understand Paul better, so I am very grateful to you for your interest in my queries.

The ethics of Paul were essentially Jewish/Stoic. His condemnation of sexual immorality and idolatry were no different from the Jews of his time. But I take your point that due to their love of God and Christ, following Paul, Pauline Christians would have been faithful to good behavior, at least in general.

Sometimes I wonder if I were brought up in court and charged with being a Christian would I be acquitted for lack of evidence.
 
Bookcat,

I agree with you.

My aim at present is to try to understand Paul better, so I am very grateful to you for your interest in my queries.

The ethics of Paul were essentially Jewish/Stoic. His condemnation of sexual immorality and idolatry were no different from the Jews of his time. But I take your point that due to their love of God and Christ, following Paul, Pauline Christians would have been faithful to good behavior, at least in general.

Sometimes I wonder if I were brought up in court and charged with being a Christian would I be acquitted for lack of evidence.
Pinckaers has written well on his ethics…how he judged cases etc by relating all to Christ…make sure you read him on this.
 
Rcjones,

thanks for your reply.

I agree with you that Paul considered love vital.

But did Paul recommend ethical behavior which the good Jew or Gentile would not follow? His sexual ethics and approach to idols seem to be in conformity with Judaism.
I would put it the other way around. Judaism was in conformance with the Law of Love that he preached. And according to Romans, the conscience of the gentile would be in conformance with the law of Love.

Would they follow it? No. They didn’t follow the law or their conscience which is why we are all guilty. Only Christ dwelling within us enables us to follow it.
 
Bookcat,

thanks for all your replies.

Are any of the books you recommend on the www where I can read them for free?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top