Paul is anti-Jew

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoelFitz

New member
Who are the opponents in the Letter of Paul to Titus? It is clear that some of them, at least, are Jewish Christians. They are considered to be proto-Gnostics, but the evidence for this seems slim.

Commentators seem to read into the vague descriptions given in Ch 1 of Tit later ideas.

Eminent exegetes ctiticize each other. Martin says they are ascetics, Neyrey disagrees.

What is the ordinary person to do? Is it safer to stick to what is clearly said that the opponents are Jewish and leave it at this?

It seems clear that Paul is anti-Jewish here.

What do any of you think.
 
It would seem that the Jewish Christians that Paul is referring to is that old opponent - The Judaizers - who continue to demand that Gentile Christians must first become Circumcised before becoming Christian.

It’s almost like the Judaizers mistook the phrase, “*Salvation comes **from *the Jews” to “*Salvation comes **through *the Jews”.

But I don’t think the “Jewish Christians” are the only opponents. These are any opponent that tries to thwart the teachings of the Apostles.
 
Right - because if it was only applicable to the specific people Paul had in mind, it really wouldn’t have any meaning for us today. But “all Scripture is useful” - so the message must have broader applicability.

Also must remember that there were fairly significant divisions amongst the Jews of the day (as there are today) so we can’t make blanket statements about the beliefs or practices of “the Jews.”
 
NW & NHI

Thank you so much for your solid replies to my posts. I appreciate your insights and staunch Catholic commitment.

I would prefer to get replies rather than to be ignored. Hence the titles of my topics may be somewhat provocative at times.

I am studying the Bible on my own and my principal interests are Paul and the Apostolic Fathers. At present I am studying the Pastoral Epistles, and am now on Titus. Without feedback and communication with others I find study difficult.

I really am very encouraged by the insights both of you are giving me.

I am also grateful to others who contribute to the topics I initiate.

NHI

I agree there were many differences groups and opinions among the Jews in the first century, as there are now. There were Pharisees, Sadducees, Elders, Scribes, members of the Qumran community etc. The Jews then as now were divided, somewhat like the Irish and other groups today. “Two Jews, three opinions”.

It has been claimed that when the Gospels refer to the Jews they have the leaders in mind. I wonder!

Jesus in a way was similar to the Jews of today, as among his first supporters were many members of his extended family, and he also fought with his relatives (very human), indicated by his complaint about prophets not being accepted among their own people.

I agree that blanket statements are always difficult to support, which in itself is a blanket statement.

NW

Again I agree that among the opponents were Judaisers, but there may have been others, as you note.

You wrote:
It’s almost like the Judaizers mistook the phrase, “Salvation comes from the Jews” to “Salvation comes through the Jews”.
One must be careful here. Jesus focused almost exclusively on the Jews, his contacts with gentiles were limited, and not very positive. Matthew being very Jewish may have distorted the views of Jesus somewhat.

Perhaps one might be able to date a text by its views of the Jews. Earlier texts are favorable to Jews. Later ones are not. But this would be a debatable idea.

You conclude your post with:
But I don’t think the “Jewish Christians” are the only opponents. These are any opponent that tries to thwart the teachings of the Apostles.
I agree fully with you, while I disagree with trying to claim Paul had proto-Gnostics in mind. This has been used to date the PEs as post-Paul.
 
NW

Again I agree that among the opponents were Judaisers, but there may have been others, as you note.

You wrote:

One must be careful here. Jesus focused almost exclusively on the Jews, his contacts with gentiles were limited, and not very positive. Matthew being very Jewish may have distorted the views of Jesus somewhat.

Perhaps one might be able to date a text by its views of the Jews. Earlier texts are favorable to Jews. Later ones are not. But this would be a debatable idea.

You conclude your post with:

I agree fully with you, while I disagree with trying to claim Paul had proto-Gnostics in mind. This has been used to date the PEs as post-Paul.
I think you may enjoy Fr. Montague’s Bible Study on Timothy and Titus from Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture. You can Google their website.

Regarding Post Paul writing, I definitely disagree. I agree there were gnostics involved, but I don’t think people understand that gnosticism didn’t sprout out of Christianity. Gnosticism was a sect (one that pre-dated Christianity) that grafted itself onto Christianity, just as it had grafted itself onto numerous other pagan belief systems. There is no reason that gnostics couldn’t have already been trying to influence Christian teachings immediately in the new Church.

BTW, thanks for your kind words, brother! I enjoy many of the threads that you and I have shared.

God Bless!
 
Acts 21:20-26 (New International Version)

20When they heard this, they praised God. Then they said to Paul: “You see, brother, how many thousands of Jews have believed, and all of them are zealous for the law. 21They have been informed that you teach all the Jews who live among the Gentiles to turn away from Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children or live according to our customs. 22What shall we do? They will certainly hear that you have come, 23so do what we tell you. There are four men with us who have made a vow. **24Take these men, join in their purification rites and pay their expenses, so that they can have their heads shaved. Then everybody will know there is no truth in these reports about you, but that you yourself are living in obedience to the law. **25As for the Gentile believers, we have written to them our decision that they should abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality.”

26The next day Paul took the men and purified himself along with them. Then he went to the temple to give notice of the date when the days of purification would end and the offering would be made for each of them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top