G
graciesings
Guest
So someone on another forum has a thread attacking C. S. Lewis and stating that he wasn’t a Christian. One of their main arguments is that he didn’t agree with the (Calvinist) doctrine of penal substitutionary atonement. I also recently used a George MacDonald quote in an essay and looked him up to make sure his theology was ok. (I’m always careful not to quote heretics and agree with what they said for the whole essay, lol.) I was fine with MacDonald’s theology, but one thing the website mentioned is that he didn’t agree with the doctrine of penal substitutionary atonement.
I know what the idea is… that Christ took our punishment for us, because God had to punish someone for out sins. I grew up hearing the idea, actually. It is accepted as fact by the local Baptists and Lutherans, I never thought that was looking at the atonement in the wrong light… (You can read more here: theopedia.com/Penal_subst…nary_atonement ) I am curious, do you agree with this theory? Does the Catholic church agree with this theory? Why or why not? If not, what other theory does the Church hold? And how much does that even matter…
Thanks and God bless you,
Grace
I know what the idea is… that Christ took our punishment for us, because God had to punish someone for out sins. I grew up hearing the idea, actually. It is accepted as fact by the local Baptists and Lutherans, I never thought that was looking at the atonement in the wrong light… (You can read more here: theopedia.com/Penal_subst…nary_atonement ) I am curious, do you agree with this theory? Does the Catholic church agree with this theory? Why or why not? If not, what other theory does the Church hold? And how much does that even matter…
Thanks and God bless you,
Grace