G
Gianna_MarieJMJ
Guest
Hello,
I am almost 21 years old and my boyfriend and I are talking about getting married soon, but we’ve run into a problem. ( First off I’ll say that I AM older than him…he is 19) We have been together for almost 4 years in May and my boyfriend has just recently asked our Parish Priest (with whom we are also friends with and have known for quite sometime) for some spiritual direction regarding him proposing. Well, to sum it up our Priest said that he feels even though we are young, we shouldn’t wait much longer and for my boyfriend to be in control of this and not to let my father or anyone try and make this decision for him. My boyfriend, being the gentlemen he is, wanted to get my dad’s blessing before jumping into this and it turns out my dad wants us to wait a couple more years before engagement/marriage. Now…we both have decent jobs for our age and have saved up quite a bit. My boyfriend is starting school this spring as well. Now…Im not even sure if this is the correct place to even talk about this or ask this but…what should I do? My boyfriend is stressed out because even though we feel that we’re ready…my dad doesnt understand. You know? We don’t want to upset anyone but at the same time we’re old enough to make this decision ourselves.
Thank you all so much! God Bless!
I am almost 21 years old and my boyfriend and I are talking about getting married soon, but we’ve run into a problem. ( First off I’ll say that I AM older than him…he is 19) We have been together for almost 4 years in May and my boyfriend has just recently asked our Parish Priest (with whom we are also friends with and have known for quite sometime) for some spiritual direction regarding him proposing. Well, to sum it up our Priest said that he feels even though we are young, we shouldn’t wait much longer and for my boyfriend to be in control of this and not to let my father or anyone try and make this decision for him. My boyfriend, being the gentlemen he is, wanted to get my dad’s blessing before jumping into this and it turns out my dad wants us to wait a couple more years before engagement/marriage. Now…we both have decent jobs for our age and have saved up quite a bit. My boyfriend is starting school this spring as well. Now…Im not even sure if this is the correct place to even talk about this or ask this but…what should I do? My boyfriend is stressed out because even though we feel that we’re ready…my dad doesnt understand. You know? We don’t want to upset anyone but at the same time we’re old enough to make this decision ourselves.
Thank you all so much! God Bless!