G
garysibio
Guest
Do we know when Peter first came to Rome?
Yes, I would be interested too. The argument from non-Cats is that there is no evidence of this claim, that Peter established the Church in Rome. I can understand from scripture alone why it doesnt appear to be so. Paul seemed to be the main source of the gospel in Rome, according to Acts. Why would he (Paul) go to Rome if Peter was already established there?Thanks.
Does anyone know of any ancient sources that would support this chronology? I don’t dispute it, I’d just like to know if there are any ancient documents that back it up.
Tertullian, in The Demurrer Against the Heretics (A.D. 200), noted of Rome, “How happy is that church . . . where Peter endured a passion like that of the Lord, where Paul was crowned in a death like John’s [referring to John the Baptist, both he and Paul being beheaded].”Thanks.
Does anyone know of any ancient sources that would support this chronology? I don’t dispute it, I’d just like to know if there are any ancient documents that back it up.
From Scripture - Babylon is RomeYes, I would be interested too. The argument from non-Cats is that there is no evidence of this claim, that Peter established the Church in Rome.
I thought the same thing. It was well attested in most of the things it promoted regarding Peter’s being in Rome, but curiously the sourcing was missing for much (all?) of the arguments regarding the rest.Wow…
I finished reading that…and what a conclusion! Sorry to share that twisted view. But it has alot of interesting research. Now I want to hear more about this theory and the Church’s reaction to it.
Sorry, I cannot give the Church’s response, but here is mine.Wow…
I finished reading that…and what a conclusion! Sorry to share that twisted view. But it has alot of interesting research. Now I want to hear more about this theory and the Church’s reaction to it.
Yes…Sorry, I cannot give the Church’s response, but here is mine.
This heretical website shows a statue of St. Peter and misidentifies it as “Statue of Simon Magus” as if some how Catholics are ignorant or that we are being honest and deceitful at the same time. Ridiculous. He concludes with :
Simon Magus arrived in Rome and, during a 25 year “episcopate,” built up a RIVAL RELIGION that amalgamated some aspects of Christianity WITH ELEMENTS OF THE PAGAN BABYLONIAN MYSTERY RELIGION. THIS religion of Simon’s eventually became known as the UNIVERSAL OR CATHOLIC CHURCH!
No. We don’t know but probably near the end of his lifetime. The NT is almost completely silent including the silence of St. Pauls Epistle to the Romans and the Book of Acts. Obviously this is not decisive evidence for or against Peters residence in Rome. 1 Peter 5:13 could possibly testify to Peters residence in Rome. Further possible evidence of his Roman residency is Ignatius in the Epistle to the Romans 4:3 and a fragment of Gaius preserved in Eusebius. Bottom line, historically speaking nothing can be determined with any strong certainty about when he came to Rome and how long he stayed.Do we know when Peter first came to Rome?
Acts 22:22-Chapter to 28 tells of Pauls arrest and the reason he asked to go to Rome to be tried.Yes, I would be interested too. The argument from non-Cats is that there is no evidence of this claim, that Peter established the Church in Rome. I can understand from scripture alone why it doesnt appear to be so. Paul seemed to be the main source of the gospel in Rome, according to Acts. Why would he (Paul) go to Rome if Peter was already established there?
I dont think, either, it necessarily contradicts the possision of the Cat Church. It is possible Paul and Peter had a much closer relationship than we know from scripture. After all, Rome was no simple task for any single Apostle to preach. But Vatican should be able to provide us with some concrete evidence of Peter’s establishment, when they say Peter established the Church in 42 and converted many.
Good question,
Michael
Paul’s letter to the Romans is a letter of introduction to a church he does not know.Yes, I would be interested too. The argument from non-Cats is that there is no evidence of this claim, that Peter established the Church in Rome. I can understand from scripture alone why it doesnt appear to be so. Paul seemed to be the main source of the gospel in Rome, according to Acts. Why would he (Paul) go to Rome if Peter was already established there?
I dont think, either, it necessarily contradicts the possision of the Cat Church. It is possible Paul and Peter had a much closer relationship than we know from scripture. After all, Rome was no simple task for any single Apostle to preach. But Vatican should be able to provide us with some concrete evidence of Peter’s establishment, when they say Peter established the Church in 42 and converted many.
Good question,
Michael