Peter / Jews & Paul / Gentiles

• Thread starter Thread starter Singinbeauty
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Singinbeauty

Hello Allā€¦ šŸ‘‹

Ok, I have posed this question before but thought it would be beneficial to address it again. In regards to Peter being the leader of the Apostles (later deemed the Pope), where does this leave Paul?
Galatians 2:6-8:
6As for those who seemed to be importantā€”whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not judge by external appearanceā€”those men added nothing to my message. 7On the contrary, they saw that I had been entrusted with the task of preaching the gospel to the Gentiles,[a] just as Peter had been to the Jews.** 8For God, who was at work in the ministry of Peter as an apostle to the Jews**, was also at work in my ministry as an apostle to the Gentiles.
According to Paul in Galatians, he was to head up the ministry to the gentiles while Peter went the other direction to minister to the Jews.

The passage above indicates that Paul and Peter were co-leaders of the Church, focussing each on different aspects of the followers of Christ. Peter does not appear to be the head of the Church as Paul even had to repremand Peter indicating that he was not a ā€˜subordinantā€™ of Peter but an equal.

I want to get opinions from both sides, this is an honest inquiring thread so please - I have been burned too many times - NO FLAMING or ACCUSATIONS of my real reason for starting the threadā€¦ It is as it states.

This is not a place to beat on catholics or non-catholics.

I look forward to our discussionā€¦ šŸ‘

Hello Allā€¦ šŸ‘‹

Ok, I have posed this question before but thought it would be beneficial to address it again. In regards to Peter being the leader of the Apostles (later deemed the Pope), where does this leave Paul?

According to Paul in Galatians, he was to head up the ministry to the gentiles while Peter went the other direction to minister to the Jews.

The passage above indicates that Paul and Peter were co-leaders of the Church, focussing each on different aspects of the followers of Christ. Peter does not appear to be the head of the Church as Paul even had to repremand Peter indicating that he was not a ā€˜subordinantā€™ of Peter but an equal.

I want to get opinions from both sides, this is an honest inquiring thread so please - I have been burned too many times - NO FLAMING or ACCUSATIONS of my real reason for starting the threadā€¦ It is as it states.

This is not a place to beat on catholics or non-catholics.

I look forward to our discussionā€¦ šŸ‘
Even though Paul had actually encountered Jesus in a vision and preached the same thing the apostles preached (which would have been impossible if they had not all been guided by the same Spirit), still Paul finally came to the apostles to check out that he was doing the right thing (not running in vain) and **they added nothing to his message. **

The fact is, if he had been in error, they could have added to the message. He recognized their authority. He submitted his message to them and they confirmed it. It was the same message as Peter preached. Once they had judged that his preaching was true, he claimed his equal dignity as an apostle.

It would be incorrect to say that Peter and Paul were co-leaders just because their preaching was primarily to different groups. All the apostles had the mission to preach the gospel. But itā€™s obvious in the gospels that Jesus had something special or additional in mind for Peter. He was given the ā€˜keysā€™, he was told ā€˜feed my sheepā€™, and he was the first to preach the gospel on Pentecost. He, along with James and John, was present at the transfiguration and in the garden. He was the first to say, ā€œYou are the Christ, the son of the living God.ā€

1 Peter 5; 1 The elders which are among you, I extort, who am also an elder

The first elder in this sentence in the greek is presbyter while the second elder is co-presbyter (Strongs)

Peter it seems does not feel he is above the other apostles

The passage above indicates that Paul and Peter were co-leaders of the Church, focussing each on different aspects of the followers of Christ.
In the Holy Orthodox Church, there is the Feastday of SS Peter and Paulā€“preceded by a two week fast. šŸ™‚

1 Peter 5; 1 The elders which are among you, I extort, who am also an elder

The first elder in this sentence in the greek is presbyter while the second elder is co-presbyter (Strongs)

Peter it seems does not feel he is above the other apostles
The greatest among you will serve the restā€¦thats what a pope does,he serves his peopleā€¦heā€™s also given the keysā€¦(doesnt the old testament explain what the keys are?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back