S
SoonerServant
Guest
Many Catholics say that in this passage, when Jesus says,“And you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hades will not overcome it.” is saying that Peter is the rock of which Jesus spoke.
The issue I have with this, is, that the word Peter, in Greek, is petra. Which means an individual stone or a portion of a larger rock.
However, the word rock, in this context, in Greek, is petros. Which means a large rock formation suitable for a foundation.
The passage would actual read,“And you are petra, and on this petros I will build my church, and the gates of hades will not overcome it.”
I don’t believe the church of Christ was founded on Peter, but on the truth that Peter confessed when he proclaimed Jesus to be the one true son, of the living God.
The issue I have with this, is, that the word Peter, in Greek, is petra. Which means an individual stone or a portion of a larger rock.
However, the word rock, in this context, in Greek, is petros. Which means a large rock formation suitable for a foundation.
The passage would actual read,“And you are petra, and on this petros I will build my church, and the gates of hades will not overcome it.”
I don’t believe the church of Christ was founded on Peter, but on the truth that Peter confessed when he proclaimed Jesus to be the one true son, of the living God.