Pharmacists Refusing to fill B/C prescriptions

• Thread starter Thread starter sarcophagus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sarcophagus

I just read an article today saying that pharmacists as well as physicians and other health care professionals are allowed to refuse to do something that they agree is morally wrong. One of the examples was pharmacists refusing to fill birth control prescriptions. Now, i understand that the idea of birth control is morally wrong in the christian society, and for other religions, but what if the prescription is needed for another reason? For example, I don’t like birth control, the idea of contraception as well as others, however, I have a hormonal imbalance. I was prescribed birth control so that I didn’t have to take other nastier medication. This is only a trial, if the birth control works, i will stay on it, but if it isn’t, I need to take other. It seems to be working so far. So what then? What happens if I am refused, but for medical reasons? This seems very innappropriate to me considering I need them for other reasons?

Are there any pharmacists out there who know anything about this? Thanks

I know something of the case of the pharmacist in Madison WI that refused to fill a B/C perscription. There is some sort of law suit going on regarding this event. In this case, when presented with the refill request he asked if the perscription was to prevent pregnancy. When the customer replyed yes then he refused to fill. Presumably he would have filled the perscription if it was be used for a different purpose. Also, he refused to transfer the perscription to another pharmacy and insisted that the customer come back when someone else was working.

Oh…ok, thanks james…that helped a lot. Though i doubt that these bills would effect me, i was concerned. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back