Philipians 4:8

  • Thread starter Thread starter WoundedIcon
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WoundedIcon

Guest
[BIBLEDRB]Philippians 4:8[/BIBLEDRB]

How far does this command go, because the Bible’s books themselves sometimes violate this premise? It’s kind of stressing me out. There’s so much good angry and sad music out there, including even Psalms, hymns, and classical stuff alongside your typical riffage. But it’s wrong to listen to it? I mean, the way I’m interpreting it kind of stifles the range of artistic expression. Positive! Uplifting! Encouraging! Safe for the whole family?
 
I think you make a good point. I agree that there are many terrible things in the Bible, and if were to think “exclusively” on these good things, we’d have to serious edit scriptures.

It reminds me of a story my mother told me. When she was little, they never read the Bible, although her teachers/nuns would read select parts of it. Once she read part of it herself, and was aghast at what they had “conveniently” skipped over.

Anyway, I personally think that if we don’t make ourselves aware of the evil in the world we are completely at its mercy, as we wouldn’t know we were getting sucked into it until way too late. It’s like fighting a war when you have no idea of enemy tactics, or don’t even know you’re in a war.

So I look at this as advice not to look only at the negative. For myself, I was in a terrible depression for a couple years where I honestly couldn’t think of a single good thing about life, except my love for my wife and family. Even then I was not able to do anything good for them or worth anything other than I was who I was. All roads led to dead ends. I nearly lost all hope, and wished the world would just go away. So I have experience at not thinking of the positive, and it is a horrible way to live.

Alan
 
Be assured you can listen to the psalms as the Church prays them every day, in the divine Office of priests and Religious, and in the Eucharist.
The Psalms speak for us in our human struggles and aspirations.

We cannot always be happy, but we can have a spiritual joy and peace in our trials and sorrows, and that’s what God asks and offers, our hope and trust, which give us a joy in God even in the blackest times. It doesn’t mean we are humanly happy at those times, but the hope and trust we place in God’s goodness is joy in God’s love for us and God’s mercy.

Sometimes it is part of our healing to find that either we or others have created musical or verbal vehicles for us to understand and process our feelings. Sometimes music can speak in a way words cannot. Sometimes other people have written something that expresses our feelings better than er can ourselves, and that can help us to find our way to heal and grow.

My son said, after a time of sorrow and loss, “Mum, music stopped me from going mad.” Sometimes it helps us to survive bad times because it engenders the sense that we are not alone, we are understood because someone else has written for us the music or the words, therefore we can retain that hope and trust which is unrecognised joy .
*

“If you have hope this will make you cheerful. Do not give up if trials come; and keep on praying.”* [Romans 12:12]
*
“If any one of you is in trouble, he should pray; if anyone is feeling happy, he should sing a psalm.”* [James 5:13]

“Gladness of heart gives life…console your heart, chase sorrow far away: for sorrow has been the ruin of many…and worry brings premature old age.” [Ecclesiasticus 30 22-24]
“Since you have been brought back to true life with Christ, you must look for the things that are in heaven, where Christ is sitting at God’s right hand. Let your thoughts be on heavenly things, not on the things that are on the earth, because you have died, and now the life you have is hidden with Christ in God. But when Christ is revealed—and He is your life—you too will be revealed in all your glory with Him.” [Colossians 3:1-4]

“Do not be afraid, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.” [Psalm 43:1]
 
[BIBLEDRB]Philippians 4:8[/BIBLEDRB]

How far does this command go, because the Bible’s books themselves sometimes violate this premise? It’s kind of stressing me out. There’s so much good angry and sad music out there, including even Psalms, hymns, and classical stuff alongside your typical riffage. But it’s wrong to listen to it? I mean, the way I’m interpreting it kind of stifles the range of artistic expression. Positive! Uplifting! Encouraging! Safe for the whole family?
This is possibly my favorite piece of scripture. I am thinking that there is plenty of good angry and sad music out there that is filled with tons of truth that this piece of scripture talks of. Although it may be sad, it still can be filled with truth, and in that sense very lovely and just. I think this piece of scripture means that we can always lift our hearts up in joy to our Lord…no matter what the circumstances…that is such a comfort! The truth doesn’t stifle, it expands…
 
The city of Phillipi was named after Phillip the Great, father of Alexander the Great, both of them great military leaders. Phillipi was basically a retirement community for Roman military, and as such, was a very orderly and disciplined place. The Christians there exemplified that order and discipline and St. Paul is said to have loved visiting the Christians there. He did so on his second and third apostolic journeys.

Much of the language used in St. Pauls letter to the Philippians is military in nature. He speaks of fighting side by side to obtain the victory of salvation and such things. Remembering that Paul was a Roman citizen, he also speaks of their shared citizenship in heaven. And Roman citizens were interested in things like virtue, justice, honesty and such. Paul is playing on these Roman qualities of honor, duty, discipline, and the idea of joint sacrifice in order to obtain a goal. And he uses himself as the example of that virtue, discipline and willingness to sacrifice in the next verse…

Keep on doing what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me. Then the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:9)

Paul’s comments were to military men about virtue, discipline, mutual love and shared suffereing for their joint victory in Christ, and all this in the face of a pagan culture which sometimes taught otherwise. I really don’t think it had anything to do with the Psalms, some of which are laments. Paul was never afriad to quote the Psalms when he wanted to!

But it is beautiful, and entirely relevant today. We could use some of that modesty and discipline in our culture and lives.

-Tim-
 
I’ve been wondering recently about the precise meaning of this verse. I, too, was wondering whether it meant that we are only to think about positive things or whether it actually referred to meditation on what was virtuous so as to encourage the mind to practice virtue, especially given the following verse.

As an INF with a strong “empathic” sense, I have always found literature/art/etc. of a more pathetic (in the more ancient sense) nature to be quite moving/inspiring. This is why the Passion of our Lord, in particular, has always moved me so. (Heck, when I was very young…and even Protestant…I even prayed, perhaps somewhat ignorantly and arrogantly(?), for the stigmata, if it was God’s Will that I might more fully share in His suffering and bear its marks!) Even concerning the Problem of Evil (and I hope I’m not bordering on heresy here), I’ve always held this line in a song to be very informative: “Be there no tears of joy when the heart feels no pain.” (Miriam Stockley) For me, trouble brings forth the opportunity to love. There is thus a kind of perfection in imperfection.

This is not to say that I am not a joyful person where appropriate, but I am also a very sober person, realizing that there is much trouble and sin in the world. It is actually something I meditate on a lot, not to make myself sad, but to make myself feel empathy for those going through it and to inspire myself to action and to love.

Given the Philippians verse, is such an attitude toward the “darker side” of life a Christian one? Is there any kind of Church consensus (infallible or otherwise; papal or of the counsels) on the interpretation of this verse?

Indeed, I’ve always taken the word “think” here to have the sense of “meditation” or “a taking account of”. (The Greek could, indeed, suggest this.) Thus, could Paul here be speaking of the kind of “meditation” we do on God’s Word so as to promote the practice of a godly life?

I’m so “pathetic”, aren’t I? 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top