D
decreasing
Guest
I recently posted this relatively short explanation of a passage in Philippians on a discussion board that was apparently not intended for an in-depth discussion. I was actually referred to this forum to present it for discussion, so here am I. And I quote:
"I have had the pleasure of meditating on this passage and discussing it many times since I was first confronted with it as I debated with a Roman Catholic priest in his office in Columbus, Ohio. When he brought it to my attention, I thought that he was mistaken. There was no way that Paul could have written those words! To my shock, though, he certainly had.
That shock was subdued with further examination…
…on Philippians 2:12-13…
“… work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.”
(Php 2:12-13 ESV)
“[W]ork out your own salvation with fear and trembling…”
This is the part that really got me when I heard it come from the mouth of the priest. In fact, this is all that he quoted. This alone seems to totally destroy all that it seems Paul taught in his other writings, but when taken with the rest of his sentence instead of all by itself, plucked right out of its context, it is so much more significant and compatible with the rest of his writings. Let me show you…
Paul not only tells believers to work out their own salvation while trembling fearfully, but He also tells them WHY they need to be doing it with this disposition. I would ask Paul, “Why would I need to be fearing and trembling so much when doing this work of my salvation? Hasn’t Christ already accomplished the work of my salvation? What have I to fear?” And Paul would inevitably answer me, “Would you just listen to the rest of my sentence?! Haven’t you read what the Lord’s brother James wrote: “let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak’?” So, then I would listen a little more intently to his words and find out why he was saying this:
“FOR…”
For? Of course! “For” (which could Just as easily be translated “Because”) is an indication that an explanation is on its way. So I can know exactly what Paul meant when he instructed believers to work out their own salvation because he gives his own interpretation of his words in the very next clause:
(Remember—“FOR”) “…it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.”
Let’s take this piece by piece…
We notice first that Paul gives the actual reason in the very first part of this second part of the sentence: “it is God who works in you…” So the reason we are to fear is because God is the one working in us? Interesting. Why would that cause fear? Wouldn’t that cause confidence and joy? I would say so, but Paul just got done exhorting the Philippian Christians to have a humble spirit like the one Christ had when He willingly subjected Himself to His Father.
So how does this instruction to fearfully tremble in the work of our own salvation flow from an exhortation to be humble? Well, what does it mean to be humble? Does it not mean that we do not exalt ourselves to a great position? Doesn’t it mean to divert the attention away from ourselves and towards another? So, in the case of the working of our salvation, our being humble, and our trembling as we work out our salvation, it would seem that we are to be extremely careful not to do this work with the false notion that we are the ones actually accomplishing these works.
Since we know that believers are to humbly acknowledge God’s working in our lives in fearful trembling, now we have to ask how much we are to attribute to Him. Thankfully, Paul gives us the answer to that as well:
“…both to will AND to work for his good pleasure.” (emphasis mine)
This just goes deeper and deeper does it not? Not only are we to humbly recognize God’s work in our salvation as the one who does it through our fearful and trembling actions, but we now know that God not only gives us the will—He also gives us the specific actions that we accomplish! God “in [us]” works the will and the work! Amazing!
Now, suppose I am a synergist who believes that if God doesn’t get my compliance He’s outta luck in His mission to save me. If that were true of me, then I would have to do some serious re-evaluation of my theological structure of beliefs. I want to be in line with what God’s word teaches, and this Holy Spirit inspired church father is telling me that God is the one who is doing all the things that I myself am prone to believe I did of my own free choice and compliance with God. I mean, GOD is giving ME the will to work for HIS good pleasure! And not only that, but He is actually doing the work through me! I just don’t know how else to understand this passage. Paul is saying that even our continued life after regeneration is a life filled with actions given to us directly by the primary, causal actions of God Himself.
This gives a whole new perspective to the Christian life (for those who never noticed it). And if what Paul says is true, [name withheld to protect the innocent] , your whole understanding of this passage is backwards. Believers are not to fear and tremble because they are trying to work with God in an attempt to secure their salvation. No, they are to work hard towards the end that their calling and election will be made sure (II Pet. 1:10) while ever bearing in mind that they are totally in the hands of God’s grace and not helping God finish the work."