Philosophical Logic of Creation Ex Nihilo

• Thread starter Thread starter splegrand
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Something does come from God who has existence and is an eternal Something.
Assumption = God exists.
So in the begining:
God = Something Yes/No
Yes
Universe = Something Yes/No
No
then
Creation:
God created the universe Yes/No
Yes
then
Universe = something Yes/No
Yes
Then
Since God = Something and the universe = Something then
Something comes from Something

The Singularity annihilates all the Laws of Physics including the dear quantum ones.
A Black Hole is NOT a singularity. The Singularity exists as an adimensional point at the core of the Black Hole and it is the cause of or it’s effects show as a Black Hole.
This is why is so hard to find them, currently they are being hunted by using some of the corollary effects caused near and around the event horizon of the Black Hole.

Peace!

I have a bit of a concern about the philosophical explanation of how God created Everything. …
Modern Catholic Dictionary has for creation (excerpt):
God creates out of nothing both because he starts with no pre-existing matter and because he parts with nothing of his own being in the act of creation.

Completely agree. However, by the structure of the sentence, it is referring to the complete absence of matter when specifying nothing.

I am referring to an absence of “existence” of anything with the capital Nothing. In the sense of no form, no corpus, nada.

So I still come back to the only form, if you will, was the triune God. The Trinity was the existence and created all other existence, which to me does not violate logic. Existence can not arise from non-existence as those who try to remove a pre-existing form (GOD) that all other forms are created by.

I don’t think that this logic violates anything in the CCC, however, that does not necessarily make my thinking correct. So my question still stands. To rephrase the question - is it correct logically to say that all existence flows from the eternal pre-existence of God? With the understanding that no part of God was taken to create any other existence. God created all existence with his own Logos, if you will.

BTW, I think the side discussions have been fruitful on this thread. So please don’t become disheartened with my continued questioning.

You wrote: “So I still come back to the only form, if you will, was the triune God. …”

Per Saint Thomas Aquinas, God is not composed of matter and form.

You wrote: “is it correct logically to say that all existence flows from the eternal pre-existence of God? With the understanding that no part of God was taken to create any other existence.”

Note also the Vatican I dogma of faith On God, The Creator Of All Things."
Canon 4. If anyone shall say that finite things, both corporeal and spiritual, or at least spiritual, have emanated from the Divine substance; or that the Divine essence, by the manifestation and evolution of itself, becomes all things; or, lastly, that God is a universal or indefinite being, which by determining itself constitutes the universality of things, distinct according to genera, species and individuals; let him be anathema.

Yes, whatever exists that is not God is something created by Him out of nothing. God is Being or Existence itself.

40.png
splegrand:
You wrote: “So I still come back to the only form, if you will, was the triune God. …”

You wrote: “is it correct logically to say that all existence flows from the eternal pre-existence of God? With the understanding that no part of God was taken to create any other existence.”

Canon 4. If anyone shall say that finite things, both corporeal and spiritual, or at least spiritual, have emanated from the Divine substance; or that the Divine essence, by the manifestation and evolution of itself, becomes all things; or, lastly, that God is a universal or indefinite being, which by determining itself constitutes the universality of things, distinct according to genera, species and individuals; let him be anathema.
The Vatican 1 quote seems to be addressing Spinozan Monism, the belief that all being is made of God’s substance and just exists under different aspects.

The idea that all non-Divine being flows from God (from his creative action and not the molding of the Divine Substance) is orthodox.

More generally speaking, back to the original question, when we say God created ex nihilo we mean that God created all of the things he created without using pre-existing material. We don’t mean that the things he created came from nothing. They came from his creative action, from God as their cause.

Last edited:
Philosophically, non-being is not pure potentiality. Pure potentiality is what the essence of matter is. Matter is a potential being, non-being is simply non-being, it is neither an actual or potential being. Being is divided into actual and potential being. Potential being is a kind of being, it is not actual nor is it absolutely nothing or simply non-being. It is in-between so to speak simple non-being and actual being.

Last edited:
40.png
Vico:
40.png
splegrand:

The Vatican 1 quote seems to be addressing Spinozan Monism, the belief that all being is made of God’s substance and just exists under different aspects.

The idea that all non-Divine being flows from God (from his creative action and not the molding of the Divine Substance) is orthodox.

More generally speaking, back to the original question, when we say God created ex nihilo we mean that God created all of the things he created without using pre-existing material. We don’t mean that the things he created came from nothing. They came from his creative action, from God as their cause.
The Holy Trinity is the cause of creatures.

The Latin expression is ex nihilo which translated is “out of nothing”. Emanation has been used at various times in philosophy such as by Plotinus, Islamic Neoplatonism, and Bahá’í. Flow (peiv) is the base of the compound word emanation (eppelv) which is used by the Neoplatonists, so it seems that it could present a difficulty to use it in connection with ex nihilo.

Last edited:
Philosophically, non-being is not pure potentiality. Pure potentiality is what the essence of matter is. Matter is a potential being, non-being is simply non-being, it is neither an actual or potential being. Being is divided into actual and potential being. Potential being is a kind of being, it is not actual nor is it absolutely nothing or simply non-being. It is in-between so to speak simple non-being and actual being.
My response has always been the same (when people say my position refers not to nonbeing but prime matter), which is that existence itself is something which you can be in a state of potentiality to (as when something isn’t in existence, like a person, yet could be), as such, for anything to be in a state of pure potentiality it must be completely devoid of any actuality, meaning all of existence. But that which holds absolutely no existence and lacks all actuality we rightfully call non-existence. As such, non-existence, nonbeing, and pure potency must all be same thing.

By definition the “Nothing” has no existence. Something that has existence CANNOT follow from something that has NO existence. It would be a logical fallacy, such as a “square circle”.
God by himself is existence. This is to say his very nature is existence, and we can say that existence is a nature. It is through the power of his existence that he gives being to things which did not exist. This involves a giving of existence to a potential essence rather than the creation of existence itself. It is the creation of existence from nothing that is impossible. God cannot get existence from nothing but he can give existence to that which was nothing.

God is the only being whose nature is existence. Creation only exists through participation in the being of God and not by it’s own nature; and neither is it’s nature identical with God. So we are in existence, but not existence itself.

Last edited:
As such, non-existence, nonbeing, and pure potency must all be same thing.
There are things which do not exist that do not have the potential to exist such as square circles. Logical impossibilities are not pure-potency and yet still they are nothing.

Last edited:
There are things which do not exist that do not have the potential to exist such as square circles.
Yes, I’m in agreement…
Logical impossibilities are not pure-potency and yet still they are nothing.
Well there is a large difference between the nonbeing I’m talking about and this one. This one is coming from a pre concieved idea, an essence, which necessarily must be somewhat restrained as to only include whats in the definition and exclude everything outside of it. What I mean by nonbeing isn’t an essence, I’d say, but rather that starting point by which multiple beings may arise. For, if there can be a transition from nonbeing to being A, yet it could’ve transformed into a being B or C or an infinite number of other beings, then there has to be something about the starting state (nonbeing) which holds potential for infinite beings. But nonbeing also doesn’t hold actuality; as such, it can only be the thing of infinite potency, or what I call pure potency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back