picking a patron saint

  • Thread starter Thread starter newcalling
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newcalling

Guest
I’m set to be confirmed in the church this coming Pentecost, and I am trying to decide who to pick as a patron saint.

I have three or four candidates:

Saint Michael has been close to me for many years. He is partially responsible for me joining the church. I selected the parish I attend because he is the patron saint of the parish (Mission San Miguel Arcangel.) I now live more than an hour away from it, but I still attend there and have joined the choir. I don’t see myself ever changing parish unless I move farther away, mainly because of my love for Saint Michael the Archangel. He is a good candidate for me.

Mary: I don’t know if someone can have the Holy Mother as a patron saint, but she is equally responsible for me joining the church, and she has appeared to me in difficult times since childhood. It was when praying the hail Mary in the parish chapel that all of my doubts about joining the church vanished. I plan on undergoing Marian consecration.

Kateri Tekakwitha: I have felt called to her since I learned about her last year from the mission gift shop. She is the patron of nature lovers, and I am definitely a nature lover. She is also a converted Native American, and Native American spirituality influenced a lot of my religious beliefs before I felt called to the church. She inspired me greatly.

Francis of Assisi: I am feeling strongly called to join the Secular Franciscan order when I have been in the church long enough. Whenever I read about saint Francis I almost feel like I could be reading about myself, even though our stories are quite different. The Franciscan rule really resonates with me and I love his attitude and teachings. I adore animals as well, but that is by far not the only way in which I resonate with Saint Francis.

Any guidance you can offer is appreciated greatly. I’m not stressed about it, and I know that whoever I pick will be wonderful. I’m just mulling it over and looking for some additional guidance. I have discussed it with my adult catechism teachers, but they didn’t know how to guide me and brushed it off. I am going to be 42 in May, before Pentecost.
 
Yes folks can choose the name Mary.

Read about the saints further and pray? 🙂
 
Maybe I’m too rigid somehow, but I would have to go with a same gender saint.

You could put them all into a hat and draw one.

Sometimes I think a saint chooses you more than vice versa.

Mine is Francis, and I know he prays for me but I love Catherine of Siena and Therese better. He doesn’t mind. 🙂
 
You can never go wrong with picking a patron saint. They’re all great! I don’t really have any advice for you other than thinking about whether or not there is one you feel closest to.
(by the way, I know this isn’t the point of the post but the Marian consecration is awesome! I just did it)
 
Doesn’t have to be a saint of the same sex, either. It’s pretty common to have a name saint that’s not the same sex, and the same thing goes for Confirmation.

And of course you can have Mary as your patron saint.

Don’t stress. Pick the one who means the most to you, or the one that you want to pick.

Or even better, ask God who you should pick! He’s a pretty reliable chooser! 🙂
 
Thank you for the responses. Anyone have personal experience with any of these saints? I’d love to hear them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top