Picture of Jesus - Untruth

• Thread starter Thread starter Reign
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think it goes too far when He’s represented as blonde with blue eyes?
Nope. And I don’t have a problem with Jesus portrayed this way either.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.) (Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Not that it is bad, but it is not the truth.
Speaking of truth, it is thought that Jesus was crucified naked, but I have never seen an image of that. He’s always got a cloth wrapped around his hips. Is that a problem?

Welcome to the forum.

Personally, I do not care what he looks like. My guess is that he is darker complected than he is usually depicted as. Hair probably short or maybe shoulder length.

It’s not idolatry. All prayer goes through God. We kneel not to a image, but to God Himself.

And for say, Lutherans or Anglicans, they have crucifix like us and it provides a target for their worship. They don’t think Jesus is actually on that cross. They can distinguish between real things and images.

But, the picture is just a random person having no resemblance to Jesus.
No resemblance?

How do we know He didn’t actually have long hair? Some Jewish men did, such as King David’s son Absalom whose hair was long enough to get caught in tree branches while he was trying to run away from his father.

How do we know He wasn’t actually good looking (not that I find many pictures of Jesus to particularly fit my idea of good looks anyways).

True, we don’t realky know what He looked.like. but then we have many pictures of people from ancient and medieval times that weren’t particularly realistic looking either.

If I knew I was descended from, say, some.9th century King of England, and saw a coin or whatever depicting said King, I would be interested. The depiction, even if not realistic, would remind me of that person, their life and my connection to them. Same with depictions of Christ, Mary and the Saints.

And here I thought the local custom of a Nazorean was to have Nazorite hairdo (think Samson). 🙂 j/k

I trust the Shroud is genuine. Jesus had long hair.

I trust it because the head of the Sturp team did another investigation years later in order to silence the “lunatic fringe” who doubted the dating. To his surprise, the samples left over were not wholly linen. They had medieval cotton expertly dyed and woven in by the nuns who repaired it. He was embarrassed, and angry that they were given bad samples from the worst part of the cloth to do the C14. But luckily he had the courage to come forward before he sadly died of cancer.

Last edited:
Why do many denominations have portraits and paintings of Jesus in the church as if it’s the actual one?
I’ve never seen any artist claim their representation of Jesus is the photorealistic completely accurate depiction of The Man.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

For anyone curious, this is a historically accurate version of Jesus and probably closest to his actual appearance

He definitely wasn’t blonde and blue eyed or really European appearing in any way

I always have a problem with people saying this corresponds with Jesus.

It’s just a reconstruction of a middle eastern man in the Roman era. And just as we don’t look alike with our compatriots now (even when we are related genetically by geography), not all jews looked exactly like this.

Last edited:

For anyone curious, this is a historically accurate version of Jesus and probably closest to his actual appearance

He definitely wasn’t blonde and blue eyed or really European appearing in any way
That image is just as problematic as the rest of them if not more so. The creators took quite a bit of liberty with their choices.

In the end, I think people are drawn to an image that speaks to them and don’t give it much more thought than that. After all, the whole point of any religious image is prayer and contemplation.

I’m partial to the divine mercy image and most Good Shepard images myself.

THE SHROUD OF TURIN, 1ST CENTURY AFTER CHRIST ! , Fanti/Malfi, 2015

Prof. Fanti and prof. Malfi have debunked the British Museum’s conclusion that the Shroud’s C-14 evidence was proof of a date. Using newly developed alternate methods, they dated the Shroud to 35 B.C.E. plus or minus 250 years at a 95% confidence level.

Anyone who still believes that the Shroud originated in the 14th century ought to read this book. A new edition is soon to be available.

Last edited:
Within the context of depicting a first century Middle Eastern Jew, it does, but there’s also no problem with people depicting Jesus in a way they can relate to and identify with. He is God, after all (at least to us Christians), and capable of taking any form.

I had an art class…many, many years ago…where we did a section on religious art and did comparisons of the depiction of Jesus throughout history. We discussed how each culture envisions Jesus within that culture and this is a natural expression of how people relate to God. Many people seemed to have a strong need to have Jesus represented similar to how they themselves looked. It’s a natural phenomenon.

When anti Semitism was especially strong in Europe, Jesus was also most strongly represented as being the least Semitic…blonde and blue eyed. It was almost a subconscious rendering of having Jesus be the least Jewish as possible. Of course, most people were just picturing Jesus looking like themselves but there are also subtle politics involved as well.

I remember when a famous painting of black Jesus was on Time magazine cover and many people were very upset with this depiction…same reasons, same problem. It’s really interesting to study as an art form!

How’s school going?

How do we know He didn’t actually have long hair? Some Jewish men did, such as King David’s son Absalom whose hair was long enough to get caught in tree branches while he was trying to run away from his father.
Well, you’re talking about centuries between the two individuals. The Mediterranean norm at the time was shaven with short hair. While certainly there would have been Greco-Roman era Jews who would have eschewed such fashion, in general, just about anywhere you went in the Roman world, that would have been the fashion.

I always have a problem with people saying this corresponds with Jesus.

It’s just a reconstruction of a middle eastern man in the Roman era. And just as we don’t look alike with our compatriots now (even when we are related genetically by geography), not all jews looked exactly like this.
True, not everyone of an ethnicity looks the same, though this is much closer than anything Davinci depicted or in most images of Jesus in Catholic parishes today (in the United States).

Jesus was also most strongly represented as being the least Semitic…blonde and blue eyed. It w
I remember seeing a picture where Jesus was depicted in this manner. Strong, yellow-haired, red-cheeked, dressed like a Scandinavian. I thought it was very weird.
How’s school going?
It’s going well, thank you for asking. :pray:t2:

40.png
Benjinho:

That image is just as problematic as the rest of them if not more so. The creators took quite a bit of liberty with their choices.

In the end, I think people are drawn to an image that speaks to them and don’t give it much more thought than that. After all, the whole point of any religious image is prayer and contemplation.

I’m partial to the divine mercy image and most Good Shepard images myself.
Lol…you mean white Jesus? I’m also not sure what you mean by problematic. They didn’t “take quite a bit of liberty,” this is how middle Eastern men looked during the time of Jesus.

Last edited:

I just grate over the “Jesus wasn’t white” claptrap. Look at any typical Arab today, who is from the same stock as Palestinian Jews of the first century. Arabs of the Levant are light-skinned, or white.

And even if one could argue “diaspora!” Jews are also generally white.

and finally, how could anyone say Jesus looked like this picture? No one has his skull to reconstruct his face.

So this picture, along with the “Jesus wasn’t white” is political double-garbage.

It’s called the Mediterranean type. Generally olive skinned complexion. The problem, as it has been since prehistory, is that the Levant in particular has been a mixing ground for many ethnic groups, through migration and conquest. But most assuredly Jesus’s ethnicity would have been Eastern Mediterranean, so if you look at the average Syrian or Palestinian Arab, that is the ethnicity of Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back