B
bellringer06
Guest
Hello all,If you could take Plan B in the same 24 hrs as the attack, and that would prevent conception, then I would think that’s okay to do. I DO agree that once conception has taken place, then it’s a no-go.
I don’t get on the site too often because I am busy with school, but today I was on and saw this thread and thought I’d add my two cents.
I am a student pharmacist and I think I can maybe help clear up some of the grey area around Plan B we are experiencing on this thread. However, please remember I am just a student and still learning. If another thread like this shows up a year from now I’ll be much more capable of answering.
Plan B, or Levonorgestrel, is taken in one way to prevent ovulation. However, the process of maturation takes a fair amount of time (this is why it takes us ladies time to ovulate after our periods). From what we’ve learned so far in school, it seems that once the egg has matured to a point it will be released. It seems to me that to prevent ovulation a drug would need to be in the system a lot longer than 24 hours before ovulation.
Also, we need to consider the drug’s onset of action. In the time it takes the drug to be absorbed through the intestines, pass into the bloodstream, enter the brain, and implant in the pituitary gland (where it will send a signal not to release the ovulation hormones), the baby’s entire genetic code may have already been determined.
Remember too that fertilization can occur within three hours after intercourse and we do not have medical technology available to determine the exact timing of conception.
I went ahead and took the liberty of looking up levonorgestrel on Lexi-Comp, a site with accurate, comprehensive, up-to-date drug information for pharmacists, and it says that it would take approximately 2 hours for the drug to reach peak serum concentrations (this means when the majority of the drug is in the bloodstream–not even reached the pituitary gland yet).
So, assuming it would take a woman at least one hour to obtain the medication and it takes two hours for the medication to reach peak serum concentrations, there is a chance she may already have ovulated (or conceived) before taking the medication.
In a nutshell, my thinking is, why chance it? If a woman takes Plan B, she will never know if she had conceived (unless the medication fails to be effective for her–no medicine is 100% effective for 100% of the population). Since we cannot yet p(name removed by moderator)oint conception or ovulation (to an accurate enough time in this sense), it would seem that we cannot in good conscience promote the use of this medication. We cannot be 100% certain a new life is not on the way.
I apologize for the length of this post, but hopefully I was able to help a little bit. I’ll try and come back to this thread within 24 hours, but I can’t promise anything with school and such. By the way, this is a great topic to be discussing during Roe v. Wade week!
God Bless.