Planning for visiting Lourdes.. want more information

  • Thread starter Thread starter shanishani7
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shanishani7

Guest
I really am wishing to go to Lourdes for so long… anyone has been there before? I am planning to stay there for 2-3 days in Lourdes, will attend Masses, do a Bath, and Candle Night…

I want to know which months are open for mass, baths and candle nights? are there any special event besides these? I cannot find which months opened from the official site.

I will go there in this year, want to know which month is the best, and maybe visiting some churches in France, Italy nearby…

Please also give me some suggestions for my planning 🙂 Thank you.
 
I think Lourdes (the grotto) is open year round. When you go depends on what kind of person you are. I mean, if you don’t mind winter then December through February are not so bad, but September and October will have the most pleasant temperatures, it seems to me.

I also wish to go soon, but first I must scrape up some Euros or Greenbacks by God’s Grace, so it depends on Him!

Maybe you can go to Lisieux as well but it’s far north of Lourdes. Consider getting a Eurail Pass, Trains in France are awesome!
 
I really am wishing to go to Lourdes for so long… anyone has been there before? I am planning to stay there for 2-3 days in Lourdes, will attend Masses, do a Bath, and Candle Night…

I want to know which months are open for mass, baths and candle nights? are there any special event besides these? I cannot find which months opened from the official site.

I will go there in this year, want to know which month is the best, and maybe visiting some churches in France, Italy nearby…

Please also give me some suggestions for my planning 🙂 Thank you.
Lourdes has a narrow travel window, due to severe cold weather. Really, only late spring and summer are available.

I’ve been there 2x, in high summer (July/Aug) both times. The first time, the weather was cold and blustery; the second time, quite warm.

The baths run at 55[sup]O[/sup]F. Be prepared for cold water.

Lourdes is nowhere near Italy, nor to most places in France. You could however, visit Huesca and Zaragoza (home of Our Lady of the Pillar) in northern Spain, possibly Madrid and Avila (home of Saint Teresa) easily.

Bon Voyage and ICXC NIKA.
 
I think Lourdes (the grotto) is open year round. When you go depends on what kind of person you are. I mean, if you don’t mind winter then December through February are not so bad, but September and October will have the most pleasant temperatures, it seems to me.

I also wish to go soon, but first I must scrape up some Euros or Greenbacks by God’s Grace, so it depends on Him!

Maybe you can go to Lisieux as well but it’s far north of Lourdes. Consider getting a Eurail Pass, Trains in France are awesome!
Thanks for information. Can I also visit and see the incorrupt body of St Therese of Lisieux in there? Where was she buried? and is that welcomed for everyone to see? Thanks.
 
Thanks for information. Can I also visit and see the incorrupt body of St Therese of Lisieux in there? Where was she buried? and is that welcomed for everyone to see? Thanks.
Saint Thérèse’s body is not incorrupt.

Saint Bernadette’s body (the visionary of Lourdes) is; but her tomb, at her convent in Nevers, where she died in 1879, is more than halfway across France from Lourdes.

ICXC NIKA
 
Saint Thérèse’s body is not incorrupt.

Saint Bernadette’s body (the visionary of Lourdes) is; but her tomb, at her convent in Nevers, where she died in 1879, is more than halfway across France from Lourdes.

ICXC NIKA
I am planning to go in May/June. I also want to visit Rome in Italy, attend Papal Mass. And stay in Italy for a few days to visit Florence/ Venice also. However, it seems it takes at least 14 hours by Train between France and Italy. And I need to get back to France in last days as I am buying round trip tickets. 😊

Where else did you go for those 2 trips in Lourdes? How many days staying in Lourdes? 1-2 days is enough?
 
I am planning to go in May/June. I also want to visit Rome in Italy, attend Papal Mass. And stay in Italy for a few days to visit Florence/ Venice also. However, it seems it takes at least 14 hours by Train between France and Italy. And I need to get back to France in last days as I am buying round trip tickets. 😊

Where else did you go for those 2 trips in Lourdes? How many days staying in Lourdes? 1-2 days is enough?
First time: 2000, part of a 10-day pilgrimage to Lourdes, Rome and Paris (Rue du Bac/Notre-Dame). 3 days Lourdes. But we flew everywhere; a total high-end itinerary.

Second time, 2007, a pilgrimage by tour-bus through Spain & Portugal with a 3-days stop over the border in Lourdes; other stops Madrid, Avila, Santiago de Compostela, Fatima, etc.

2 days should be good. One would be cutting it close. You can expect long lines at the baths.

ICXC NIKA
 
If are just visiting Lourdes, I would recommend you book with 206 Tours, a Catholic company that does pilgrimages. I have been on some of their pilgrimages (including one that went to Lourdes) and just now am arranging a private pilgrimage with 206 Tours of Catholic shrines in France and Prague of my choosing. However, doing the last with them could be expensive.
Otherwise, some published guides could help you at least a little: “The Pilgrim’s France,” by James & Colleen Heater (2004) and “Catholic Shrines of Western Europe,” by Kevin J.Wright (1997), which you could ask for via interlibrary loan from your local public library. General travel guides by publishers like Fodor’s and Lonely Planet do not cover Catholic shrines generally (though these may help with the Vatican and sightseeing in cities like Florence though). Check with your local public library (or is there is a good bookstore in your city) to see what they have when it comes to the last.
Also of possible use to you is the website tripadvisor, which provides travellers reviews of places to see, which includes reviews Catholic shrines by those who have gone there–though most of these reviews are appreciative without substantial practical advice.
( I see tripadviser identifies two tour operators that give tours at Lourdes (click on “Things to Do” at the Lourdes Shrine site on tripadvisor. Then you wouldn’t have to plan a visit to a place you have never been yourself.)
 
Don’t forget about Paray le Monial and St. Margaret Mary…I suppose it all depends on your timeframe.
 
I did a 3 week pilgrimage in France with FOCUS and did a 3 day stop at Lourdes. It was my lifelong dream to go and it was an amazing place to be.

As with the other posters, I do agree on some things. I went to Lourdes around Bastille Day (July 14) and the weather was warm during the day and cold at night. It also rained while we were there. Our group had a cabin in the woods, which was about a 15 minute walk to town, but it was well maintained and had food included. There are tons of hostels there for everyone to stay at.

As such, I recommend good walking shoes, umbrella/rain coat, and a hat. Most of the day, our group did Mass early morning, did tours and wandered around the Grotto/shops during the day, and the candlelight vigils at night. It was beautiful, and the grotto itself is open 24/7. I spent a good chunk of my nights there.

I also recommend bringing BOTTLES. That water is DELICIOUS 🙂 And it also doesn’t spoil. If you can bring some home, I say go for it.

For the baths, just so you know, do it first thing (or right after Mass and there’s only a few English Masses), because you might end up waiting for awhile. At Lourdes, the poor/ill/medically handicapped are the celebrities. They are first for anything at Lourdes, so depending on how long you want to wait and how many people there are that day, that is up to you. Our group had reservations for after public bath times were over, and we still ended up waiting an hour or so. The water is FREEZING, but its worth it.

I also recommend doing the Stations of the Cross that go up a side of a mountain. That was an amazing experience (to me anyway), as it felt like actual Calvary. I wasn’t as fit then. Haha.

The only thing that bothered me about Lourdes is what I called Lourdes Vegas, where outside the gates of the main areas around the Grotto, there’s tons of shops and lights and restaurants that make it seem like they are just there to capitalize on the miracle. Regardless of it, though, it didn’t take away from the holiness of the place. That was the first place I really met Mary and I have always wanted to go back since.

Other places in France we visited:
St. Baume: Mary Magdalene (true relic, her cave is high up a mountain and its a beautiful trek up)
Toulouse: St. Thomas Aquinas
Nevers: St. Bernadette (incorrupt body)
Ars: St. John Vianney
Paray-le-Monial: St. Margaret Mary Alacoque
Paris: St. Catherine Laboure

Have a blast! Please pray for all of us here 🙂
 
en.lourdes-france.org/

So much in France - it was my wife and I’s favorite pilgrimage (not only to Lourdes…to all around the holy places of France…the Grand Chartreuse…etc)
 
Something you might want to consider. A major renovation; “Project of the Grotto, the heart of Lourdes” is currently underway. The implementation of this project will take place throughout the winters of 2015 and 2016. You can get more info. here

Peace, Mark
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top