T
timeandeternity
Guest
I just had the most intense and deep discussion of John 6 with a Protestant. It lasted for about 4 hours, and I have many questions and doubts that need to be resolved.
I read the following article: vintage.aomin.org/johnchapter6.html It is the most logical Protestant explanation of John 6 that I have ever read. At the same time, I do think that his take on John 6 is not necessarily opposed to the Catholic interpretation.
However, John 6:53 is what is really causing problems, and if you only reply to one part of this post, please reply to this question. If John 6:53 is truly literal, does that mean that we don’t have life within us, even after baptism and true faith in Christ and his teachings? If the concept of the obtaining of eternal life by faith and baptism is not to contradict the concept of obtaining eternal life by the Eucharist, there needs to be an explanation for this verse that does not do violence to the rest of Scripture that talks about faith, baptism, and salvation.
In addition, I am extremely unclear on St. Augustine’s stance on the Eucharist. I have read nearly all his statements on the Eucharist, and while some of them can be interpreted as meaning that the Eucharist is really Christ’s physical Body and Blood, there are two quotes in particular that seem very clearly to state that he thinks John should not be interpreted literally. One is from “On Christian Doctrine,” Bk. 3 Ch. 16, following a quote of Jn. 6:54: “This seems to enjoin a crime or a vice; it is therefore a figure, enjoining that we should have a share in the sufferings of our Lord, and that we should retain a sweet and profitable memory of the fact that His flesh was wounded and crucified for us.” The other is from his Expositions on the Psalms, again following a quote of Jn 6:54: “Some received this foolishly, they thought of it carnally, and imagined that the Lord would cut off parts from His body, and give unto them;…but He instructed them, and said unto them, ‘It is the Spirit that quickens, but the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.’ Understand spiritually what I have said; you are not to eat this body which you see; nor to drink that blood which they who will crucify Me shall pour forth. I have commended unto you a certain mystery; spiritually understood, it will quicken you. Although it is needful that this be visibly celebrated, yet it must be spiritually understood.”
Please answer my questions directly. I already know every single common Catholic argument for the Eucharist and for a literal interpretation of John 6, so please do your best not to provide me with what I already know.
I read the following article: vintage.aomin.org/johnchapter6.html It is the most logical Protestant explanation of John 6 that I have ever read. At the same time, I do think that his take on John 6 is not necessarily opposed to the Catholic interpretation.
However, John 6:53 is what is really causing problems, and if you only reply to one part of this post, please reply to this question. If John 6:53 is truly literal, does that mean that we don’t have life within us, even after baptism and true faith in Christ and his teachings? If the concept of the obtaining of eternal life by faith and baptism is not to contradict the concept of obtaining eternal life by the Eucharist, there needs to be an explanation for this verse that does not do violence to the rest of Scripture that talks about faith, baptism, and salvation.
In addition, I am extremely unclear on St. Augustine’s stance on the Eucharist. I have read nearly all his statements on the Eucharist, and while some of them can be interpreted as meaning that the Eucharist is really Christ’s physical Body and Blood, there are two quotes in particular that seem very clearly to state that he thinks John should not be interpreted literally. One is from “On Christian Doctrine,” Bk. 3 Ch. 16, following a quote of Jn. 6:54: “This seems to enjoin a crime or a vice; it is therefore a figure, enjoining that we should have a share in the sufferings of our Lord, and that we should retain a sweet and profitable memory of the fact that His flesh was wounded and crucified for us.” The other is from his Expositions on the Psalms, again following a quote of Jn 6:54: “Some received this foolishly, they thought of it carnally, and imagined that the Lord would cut off parts from His body, and give unto them;…but He instructed them, and said unto them, ‘It is the Spirit that quickens, but the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.’ Understand spiritually what I have said; you are not to eat this body which you see; nor to drink that blood which they who will crucify Me shall pour forth. I have commended unto you a certain mystery; spiritually understood, it will quicken you. Although it is needful that this be visibly celebrated, yet it must be spiritually understood.”
Please answer my questions directly. I already know every single common Catholic argument for the Eucharist and for a literal interpretation of John 6, so please do your best not to provide me with what I already know.