Please help me out with my dilemma on possibly missing Mass this weekend

  • Thread starter Thread starter MeaCulpa01
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeaCulpa01

Guest
Hello, I’m new here. Glad to be here. I have a question about Sunday Mass. I go to Mass normally every weekend Saturday evening or Sunday morning…even when I am travelling and sometimes during the week when I am able. I don’t make it a habit of missing Mass, and I take the responsibility of going to Mass seriously. I am facing a dilemma though this weekend. My beloved dog is very old and the last couple of days he hasn’t been doing well at all. I am giving him all the meds (3 different ones) that the vet has prescribed him and he doesn’t seem to be improving. I just go home from 0500 AM Adoration and I am really worried about him. I planned to go hiking this morning between Adoration and evening Mass, but I have decided not to go hike. I just want to stay by his side in case he may be dying (I hope and pray that isn’t the case) or if he needs any assistance. He is having extreme difficulty getting up to go outside and go to the bathroom. I live 40-45 minutes from my Church which puts me about 3 hours total of being away from him if I go to Mass. I know caring for a sick family member excuses one from Mass, but I can’t find anything about if you are caring for pets or livestock. Does the same rule apply? I am really torn over my inner feelings of needing and wanting to go to Mass, but at the same time wanting to stay and look after him. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you
 
Personally, this attitude hurts the Church and drives people away.
If you believe God is a loving being, He would want you to stay and take care of your animal.
Missing one mass vs missing the last few hours of time with a family member you care for (yes, dogs are family members), which you would regret forever? Easy decision for me.
 
We are stewards over our pets, this includes protecting them from suffering. To comfort a dying pet is an act of mercy. Driving 45 minutes for mass is above and beyond anyway, please, do not fret this kindness. I will pray for you that you.
 
I am so sorry to hear about your dog–this can be so difficult and sad.

I have an old moral theology book, and in it, I found put that if a farmer needs to work on Sunday to bring in the harvest (say if he waits til Monday a lot will go bad) that is a reason you can miss Mass.

I would say that caring for your dog now would be at least as important than that. He needs you now, not a stranger.
 
Which is most important: God or your dog? Worshiping God or caring for your sick pet?
This is a horrible answer!

Compassion for any of God’s creature is important and pleasing to Him. Be at peace, and if you still worry, take it to confession.
 
Thank you all–it helps ease my mind and heart. I appreciate your responses.
 
My best advice is to talk to your priest. If he thinks it’s a valid reason, stay home. If he doesn’t, go to Mass.
 
Most people do not have the priest’s cell number, and priests are rarely “manning the parish office” on Saturday.
 
I’m sorry for what you are going through. Wait and see what happens because you may not have to make a decision before the time you need to. Your pet may stabilise or may need to be in the pet ER, or may have already passed and be relieved from further suffering.

I do agree with the other posters advice and perhaps there is a neighbour who can sit with your dog? Or a close family member or close friend - at least that way even if you can’t be their , there is someone with your pet.

I have been in this position. Dying old dog, contacted by son who had been told by federal police his son had been recovered and we had to literally drop everything, jump on the next plane to go and pick up his son from welfare. I was torn, just like you. I wanted to stay with my dog, but people come before animals even our most treasured pets.

And as hard as it is to hear, God comes first. Yes, they are our family members and yes we are to care for them as they are God’s gifts to us. But we shouldn’t put them before God.

I agree with @(name removed by moderator) comments. I too as hard as it would be, would go to Mass, trust God . As He said he cares for the sparrows etc and feeds them, then know that God cares for your pet . As was also said pray to St Roch who is the patron saint for dogs.

God bless you.
 
There are a few verses about ministering to animals. To be fiar, they seem to be referring to working on the Sabbath.

Is there a televised Mass for Shut-ins available? Or one on the radio?

What does your veterinarian say? There may be an idea of how much time your dog has. Or the vet may have some list to say, “these are signs that the end is near.”

The two of you also might end up discussing whether your dog would indeed pass peacefully, or whether his pain could increase to the point that you and the vet might end up making that decision for him. Obviously you’d rather that your dog pass in peace, at home, where he feels safe and loved. Maybe there’s still a way to do that.

I am not a vet, so don’t take my observation as medical advise. However, I was told with both people and pets that were dying of cancer, that it was the cancer that did the killing, not the refusal to eat. The refusal to eat just was just the body’s way of gently shutting down unnecessary processes that would not have saved the life. (Indeed, sometimes could have increased the patient’s discomfort if forced.)

So on the one hand I take attending worship very seriously.

On the other hand, it resonates with me to read “he needs you, not a stranger.”

If you come to the point where every hour is a changing situation, you’ll know.

We’ll pray for you.
 
Idea: do you have a friend or neighbor that can stay with the dog for a few hours while you go to mass? It might give you peace of mind to know your pooch is in good hands.

Also: I’m sorry. I’ve lost several pets that I was very close to and I know how difficult it can be.
 
Question: Who looks after the dog when you are at work? Can you make similar arrangements while at Mass?
 
Question: Who looks after the dog when you are at work? Can you make similar arrangements while at Mass?
I think the point is that he or she does not want to miss what could be the animals last moments of life.
 
Nobody…I work from home, so I am with him almost 24 hours a day
 
I’ve thought of you and your beloved dog and kept you in my prayers. Many of us understand how you’re hurting, and the deep grief that seems unending. Trust in Our Lord for better days ahead. I’ve found lighting a candle and Adoration to be comforting. May God bless you and your precious pet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top