O
Odell
Guest
I don’t know where to begin with this at the point I’m in on this debate. I’m talking the first paragraph that i didn’t post. Would someone help me with this one? Please!
I say the next part as a Catholic who loves Catholicism. Gay families in general are not the people destroying the world and straight. Catholic families in general are not saving it. I grew up in a Catholic house hold (and for 5 years of my childhood I also went to an Episcopal Church). Being a “good Catholic family” did not stop my step-father from beating my mother and sister and I on a regular basis. It didn’t stop the things we were exposed to or the crushing poverty that we lived in. Having good Catholic grandparents model a good Catholic marriage didn’t stop any of what happened from happening. Neither did the church. Not the priest, not Communion, or Catechism or Reconcilliation. None of the sacraments fixed what was broken in the household. Not a single gay marriage – not the childless unions of my friends or the ones with beautiful, happy children in their homes – affected my personal life in any way. What they DID DO was help model what a happy home looks like so that I could imitate it later. What being good Catholics DID do was prevent my mother from leaving for 20 years. Today, the church teaches that it’s okay to leave a situation like the one our family was in, but the damage was already done by earlier teachings and a change that came too late to make a difference. 20 years later, she was still trying to work it out.
A point of this personal example is that following tenants of faith for the sake of dogma does not create faith. The holiness doesn’t lie in the words and rules and you can’t force holiness or moral behavior simply with putting rules in place for them to follow. At best, you just get an empty faith that is moral in name only
The Catholic church HAS changed its views and practices, especially in regards to family, over the years. As it grows in its understanding of social issues, it does – very slowly and with great deliberation – adapt and come to new and increased understanding. It also already practices one-way spiritual transgenderism. I have no doubt that the church will continue to change and grow and one day will have a different position on relationships. The issue is that the church formally recognizes one union and one union only – a procreative one. I absolutely understand why this is and I appreciate the theology behind it. I believe in the theology of procreative union. But I also believe that other types of unions are not formally recognized because the theology behind the creative force in non-procreative union is not something that the average lay person is going to be able to wrap their head around. Therefore, theoretically, it is best to just leave it alone rather than lead everyone into confusion and states of delusion (which I mean in the Eastern sense). Because it’s hard enough to get people to understand same-sex marriage. I think this – like Tantra (which is also not meant for lay people) – takes an awfully pessimistic look at the emotional and spiritual capabilities of lay people. I believe it will change. I don’t believe the Catholic church will ever call it ‘marriage’ because what the Church means by ‘marriage’ (this specific yab-yum type of physio-spiritual union) is not what the lay person means by ‘marriage.’ I don’t believe it will come as a compromise or a “loss” when the change happens. It will come because the church ready to teach and broaden the understanding of creative force within human relationships.
I say the next part as a Catholic who loves Catholicism. Gay families in general are not the people destroying the world and straight. Catholic families in general are not saving it. I grew up in a Catholic house hold (and for 5 years of my childhood I also went to an Episcopal Church). Being a “good Catholic family” did not stop my step-father from beating my mother and sister and I on a regular basis. It didn’t stop the things we were exposed to or the crushing poverty that we lived in. Having good Catholic grandparents model a good Catholic marriage didn’t stop any of what happened from happening. Neither did the church. Not the priest, not Communion, or Catechism or Reconcilliation. None of the sacraments fixed what was broken in the household. Not a single gay marriage – not the childless unions of my friends or the ones with beautiful, happy children in their homes – affected my personal life in any way. What they DID DO was help model what a happy home looks like so that I could imitate it later. What being good Catholics DID do was prevent my mother from leaving for 20 years. Today, the church teaches that it’s okay to leave a situation like the one our family was in, but the damage was already done by earlier teachings and a change that came too late to make a difference. 20 years later, she was still trying to work it out.
A point of this personal example is that following tenants of faith for the sake of dogma does not create faith. The holiness doesn’t lie in the words and rules and you can’t force holiness or moral behavior simply with putting rules in place for them to follow. At best, you just get an empty faith that is moral in name only
The Catholic church HAS changed its views and practices, especially in regards to family, over the years. As it grows in its understanding of social issues, it does – very slowly and with great deliberation – adapt and come to new and increased understanding. It also already practices one-way spiritual transgenderism. I have no doubt that the church will continue to change and grow and one day will have a different position on relationships. The issue is that the church formally recognizes one union and one union only – a procreative one. I absolutely understand why this is and I appreciate the theology behind it. I believe in the theology of procreative union. But I also believe that other types of unions are not formally recognized because the theology behind the creative force in non-procreative union is not something that the average lay person is going to be able to wrap their head around. Therefore, theoretically, it is best to just leave it alone rather than lead everyone into confusion and states of delusion (which I mean in the Eastern sense). Because it’s hard enough to get people to understand same-sex marriage. I think this – like Tantra (which is also not meant for lay people) – takes an awfully pessimistic look at the emotional and spiritual capabilities of lay people. I believe it will change. I don’t believe the Catholic church will ever call it ‘marriage’ because what the Church means by ‘marriage’ (this specific yab-yum type of physio-spiritual union) is not what the lay person means by ‘marriage.’ I don’t believe it will come as a compromise or a “loss” when the change happens. It will come because the church ready to teach and broaden the understanding of creative force within human relationships.