Please Pray For My Vocation

  • Thread starter Thread starter ATeutonicKnight
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ATeutonicKnight

Guest
I have been discerning the Priesthood for over a year and a half, but a few days ago I was beginning to lose interest due to lust trying to make me change my mind. However, last night I spoke with a Carmelite Nun (Not Sister, Nun), and she told me things about my vocation that have made me realize that I am called to the Priesthood. Please pray that I get the courage and strength to fulfill my calling. Pray that I graduate (Preferably this Spring) and that I get the 24 minimum required on the ACT test in order to be eligible for Seminary. The Nun said she was praying very much for me, and she seemed to imply God had a very special and important task for me. Please pray that I do whatever He asks me to do in my life, and that I lead many souls with me to Heaven.
 
I ask the SACRED HEART to bless you, and may Our LORD help you fulfill HIS call for you. MOST SACRED HEART OF JESUS, Please BLESS AteutonicKnight, guard him, guide him, and help him live out this vocation you are calling him to, please make him a Priest for you, please help him get good grades so he can enter Seminary. Amen.
 
May God give you the courage of a true knight, so that you may fight valiantly against the legions of hell in whatever role God assigns to you.

Saint Michael, defend us in battle.
Saint George, pray for us.
 
Knight,

I’ll be praying for you in your discernment, but a couple of things to keep in mind…
I was beginning to lose interest due to lust trying to make me change my mind.
‘Lust’ isn’t a person, so it can’t ‘try’ to ‘make’ you do anything. Take ownership of your feelings and your struggles – you’re a human person, so you’re the one responsible for your decisions and actions. (Maybe that’s what you were trying to say, but it comes across as sounding like “the devil made me do it” kind of logic… 😉 )
made me realize that I am called to the Priesthood.
One other quibble. The priesthood isn’t something that any of us can decide – unilaterally and on our own – that we’re called to! Much like any relationship, it’s something that both the man and the Church – together! – discern whether the call is there. I’ll pray that you may understand the vocation that God has in mind for you, and for your obedient acceptance of God’s will! 👍
 
When the priest lifts the chalice at the Consecration, I always pray:

O Jesus, please pour your Precious Blood out on all those you have called to the religious life and the priesthood and grant them the gift of chastity that they might answer that call…

The next time I’m at Mass, I’ll offer that prayer especially for you, Knight.
 
Knight,

I’ll be praying for you in your discernment, but a couple of things to keep in mind…

‘Lust’ isn’t a person, so it can’t ‘try’ to ‘make’ you do anything. Take ownership of your feelings and your struggles – you’re a human person, so you’re the one responsible for your decisions and actions. (Maybe that’s what you were trying to say, but it comes across as sounding like “the devil made me do it” kind of logic… 😉 )

One other quibble. The priesthood isn’t something that any of us can decide – unilaterally and on our own – that we’re called to! Much like any relationship, it’s something that both the man and the Church – together! – discern whether the call is there. I’ll pray that you may understand the vocation that God has in mind for you, and for your obedient acceptance of God’s will! 👍
Thank you for these two very important distinctions. Yes, that is what I meant when I was speaking about lust. Thank you for clarifying that, and for the second point. I didn’t decide my vocation or anything, but rather, she helped me realize my calling. I hope that distinction helps.
 
Praying for your discernment of God’s true vocation He has chosen for you. It is lovely that you have a nun in your corner! But rest assured, EVERY vocation is important and necessary to God’s plan. My son is disabled, and He can never serve as a priest or cure cancer or anything the world considers “important.” Yet, his vocation is as carefully chosen and important to our Lord as the one He has chosen for you. God bless you, and I’m praying you are on the right path - we need good and holy priests!
 
I have been discerning the Priesthood for over a year and a half, but a few days ago I was beginning to lose interest due to lust trying to make me change my mind. However, last night I spoke with a Carmelite Nun (Not Sister, Nun), and she told me things about my vocation that have made me realize that I am called to the Priesthood. Please pray that I get the courage and strength to fulfill my calling. Pray that I graduate (Preferably this Spring) and that I get the 24 minimum required on the ACT test in order to be eligible for Seminary. The Nun said she was praying very much for me, and she seemed to imply God had a very special and important task for me. Please pray that I do whatever He asks me to do in my life, and that I lead many souls with me to Heaven.
The devil will use a number of tools to try and steer people off the track of faith and Christ. Our trials can strenthen our faith or we can let them overtake us and bring us down. Remember who you are battling and rise above it with the tools the Church has such as confession and your inner desire to serve Christ in whatever capacity he calls you.
 
I will keep you in my prayers Knight, please keep me in yours, I am also discerning a vocation, that I am terribly unworthy of, and I ask forgiveness from you, all my brothers and sisters, and from the LORD OUR GOD…
 
I didn’t decide my vocation or anything, but rather, she helped me realize my calling. I hope that distinction helps.
Aah… you mean that she helped you recognize that God has placed it on your heart to consider discerning a priestly vocation? That makes sense. However, if you mean it as “she helped me discern that I have a vocation”, then there’s an issue – 'cause only the Church itself (and the vocations director of the order or diocese) can help you move in the direction of that recognition… 👍
 
Aah… you mean that she helped you recognize that God has placed it on your heart to consider discerning a priestly vocation? That makes sense. However, if you mean it as “she helped me discern that I have a vocation”, then there’s an issue – 'cause only the Church itself (and the vocations director of the order or diocese) can help you move in the direction of that recognition… 👍
Um, no. I’ve been discerning for a year and a half, like posted. She helped me realize my vocation. That is not against Church teachings. Many mystics told people of their vocations. For instance, Saint Anthony told a family that their newborn baby boy was going to be a Franciscan Friar and the family rejoiced. These are obviously rare and she did say to keep discerning, but she said she felt I was called to the Priesthood, and two others have as well.
 
***Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Amen***
 
No it is not against church teaching that she helped you. Many have found help from all walks of life to get to where they are now. And I am pretty sure not all vocation contacts are priests.

My own mother said she’d kill me if I got married again so she helped me with my calling to stay celibate.😃
 
Divine Mercy Guide Me

Eternal God, Goodness itself, whose mercy is incomprehensible to every intellect, whether human or angelic, help me, Your feeble child, to do Your holy will as You make it known to me. I desire nothing but to fulfill God’s desires. Lord, here is my soul and my body, my mind and my will, my heart and all my love. Direct me according to Your eternal plan. Amen.

[St. Faustina’s Diary (1,203)]
 
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be
done, on earth as it is in heaven Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our
trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil. Amen

Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee
blessed art thou among women and
blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus
Holy Mary mother of God pray for us
sinners now and at the hour of our death
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning is now ever shall be world without end Amen
 
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be
done, on earth as it is in heaven Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our
trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil. Amen

Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee
blessed art thou among women and
blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus
Holy Mary mother of God pray for us
sinners now and at the hour of our death
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning is now ever shall be world without end Amen
 
I have been discerning the Priesthood for over a year and a half, but a few days ago I was beginning to lose interest due to lust trying to make me change my mind. However, last night I spoke with a Carmelite Nun (Not Sister, Nun), and she told me things about my vocation that have made me realize that I am called to the Priesthood. Please pray that I get the courage and strength to fulfill my calling. Pray that I graduate (Preferably this Spring) and that I get the 24 minimum required on the ACT test in order to be eligible for Seminary. The Nun said she was praying very much for me, and she seemed to imply God had a very special and important task for me. Please pray that I do whatever He asks me to do in my life, and that I lead many souls with me to Heaven.
I pray that God instills in Your heart His peace. May He give you the strength to resist temptation. May He grant you wisdom and knowledge to discern His plan for you. And I pray that whatever path the Lord has laid out for you will enable to bring many souls to heaven. AMEN
 
No it is not against church teaching that she helped you. Many have found help from all walks of life to get to where they are now.
Oh, don’t get me wrong – I’m not saying that help isn’t a good thing, in trying to discern a vocation!
And I am pretty sure not all vocation contacts are priests.
And I’m also not saying that only priests can help discern.
A Teutonic Knight:
She helped me realize my vocation.
However, I am saying that priestly discernment is something that happens between a man and the Church (more specifically, between a man and his diocesan bishop or the superior of his community). Unless and until a bishop calls a man to orders, no one can say – unilaterally – “I am called to be a priest”. Not even if twenty mystics are standing there, whispering in his ear “you’re gonna be a priest, dude!”. That’s still just twenty opinions.

What’s being said here is equivalent to a guy who says, “God’s calling me to marry Sally”, and someone he trusts says, “oh, totally, dude! You and Sally are definitely getting married!” But, until you ask and Sally says ‘yes’, it’s still premature – and inaccurate – to say, “my vocation is to marry Sally”.

Hope I’ve made myself clear: I’m not saying that Knight doesn’t have a vocation; I’m not saying that the nun in question isn’t good or holy or improperly encouraging vocations; I’m not trying to impact negatively on Knight’s discernment. I’m just trying to say that one cannot decide unilaterally, “I have a vocation”. Trust me – I’ve seen plenty of guys go through discernment and formation at seminary, saying exactly that same thing, and a year later they’ve dropped out and gotten married. In a way, I’m making a plea for humility: “I’m discerning a vocation”… “I think God might be calling me to the priesthood”… “people affirm me in my discernment by telling me that they think I’d make a fine priest”. All these things are awesome to say – and they all lack the hubris of saying “I’ve decided that I have a vocation”.

(Edited to add:) And, by the way, Teutonic, I’m praying, too, for your continued discernment! God will show you His plans for you, if you stay faithful to listening to His call!
 
Yes, I’m quoting myself… 😊
However, I am saying that priestly discernment is something that happens between a man and the Church
I re-read this, and wanted to correct it to say that “a definite answer to the question of priestly discernment only happens between a man and the Church”. No individual can answer this question on his own, without the hierarchy’s (name removed by moderator)ut and approval.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top