Please pray that hurricane turns

• Thread starter Thread starter BenRosa
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
:amen:
I live in Gainesville, Florida (in a mobile home), so I’m praying hard…:gopray2:

40.png
BenRosa:
OK, who put the “Kick me” sign on Florida?

http://doppler.tbo.com/wfla_tropic1.jpg

Thanks to all for your prayers regarding Frances…

Again, we ask for your prayers as Ivan makes tracks towards us.
May His peace be with you all…
Here we go again…:rolleyes:

Luckily, my mobile home was undamaged exept for some skirting bent out of place. My folks place (down the street from me, was also undamaged, tho’ my Mom and Dad were sort of freaked out by the experience (My Mom more so). Hope this storm doesn’t do a Charley (head into the gulf, then right face into Florida)…

P.S. Ben, how did you fare in Tampa?

40.png
BenRosa:

Thanks to all for your prayers regarding Frances…

Again, we ask for your prayers as Ivan makes tracks towards us.
May His peace be with you all…
You’ve got’em…my sister and her family live in your area. Take care, Annunciata:)

Although the eye of Frances was just a few miles from Tampa, it was a tropical strom by then, having traversed the width of the state. However, it was early Labor Day morning when Frances had moved on out into the Gulf, that the backside feeder bands really hit us hard (60 mph sustained winds) and knocked-out our power (no house damage though). We had gone to bed thinking we had been spared. In reality, we had been, considering others who took the full brunt of not only Frances, but Charley three weeks earlier. So, we are grateful for that to our Father and pray for a quick rebound for those others.

Now, we have this Ivan “the Terrible” bearing down on us. But we realize that if you want to live in Florida, these kinds of risks must be assumed. No different than in Tornado Alley and the states on fault lines.

Let His will be done, there is good in it even if we can’t see it right away.

Thank you all…

I was in Charleston for Hugo in '89 (believe it or not, I slept thru the actual storm!:sleep: ), so I know what a Category 4 hurricane can do.
Ben is right about the risk of living in various areas- hurricanes in Florida, earthquakes in California, tornadoes in the Midwest, blizzards in the north. There is not place that is truly “safe”. Heck, I remember living in New York and getting hit by hurricane David in ‘79. I was just starting my sophomore year in high school, and rode on the bus thru pouring rain (the bus had to take a long detour due to downed trees). I get to school, where it’ s decided it’s too risky for us to remain in school, so I had another bus ride in the pouring rain (and this one was two hours long as the bus schedule was messed up, so my bus had to drive all over to drop us off). Talk about government logic!:rolleyes:

40.png
BenRosa:

I am starting to wonder that my self. I can’t believe we are facing another one. It is almost surreal. I am planning a huge party in November when hurricane season is over.

I noticed that south Florida is already calling for evacuations.

My kids have missed 10 days of school. They just started back today. At least they will get a couple of days in before their next break. It is crazy! Just crazy!!!

You are all in my prayers, I too know the power of hurricans having grown up just 10 miles from the dune line in Delaware. Not many make direct hits there but we had some wild rides with the few that did. Now I am living in the “UpState” region of South Carolina, and I would have never believed how much hurricans effect us here. Most of the time they have been down graded by the time they reach us, but I don’t think that’s much comfort in Ashville,NC today or to any of the people who were hit by one of the 22 tornado’s in SC on Tuesday.
I know that somewhere, some how a much greater good will come from all of this, at this point I am praying that all my family and friends in the paths of these storms will survive to see it.
God bless you,
Linda H.
:blessyou:

I have a sister that lives in Orlando. She was here (Ohio) when charlie and frances hit, but has since went back. At the very least, they will get a lot of rain in Orlando, so of course I will be praying for her, and anybody else in the state. God be with them.

What powerful faith you all have…thank you for intercessions on behalf of those in the “cone of doom”.

Ivan turned left last night just before striking the island nation of Jamaica, sparing them from the most devastating winds. In fact, the turn put Tampa out of Ivan’s crosshair now, but we are still in the dreaded “cone of doom”. Just in case, we still have our escape pod (the '95 Buick LeSabre) fueled-up and ready to go. It surely can outrun Ivan’s 8 mph speed of advance.

I don’t know how this situation is going to resolve itself…seems like somebody’s going to catch hell from this catagory 5 hurricane.

Again, thank you…may His peace be with you all. I wish my faith was as strong.

“If you just had faith this size of a mustard seed…you could move a mountain.” Our Lord.

Pray for it to be sent to Texas!!!

We need the rain! Alot! The Hurricans have been causing high pressure across texas causing tempratures to soar. I, for one, welcome the huricane to the Lone Star State. We can handle it. 😉

I’d never pray that a Cat 5 hurricane hit anyone…but if rain is what Texas needs, I’ll pray that an abundance of it to fall upon your hot and dry state.

My wife’s twin sister (who lives in UK) phoned my wife just moments ago. Their younger brother was vacationing in Negril. They had wind, but Negril wasn’t so bad. Her younger brother said that the area in Jamaica where the family is from is fairly devastated.

My wife was born in Saint Thomas Jamaica – the southeastern part of Jamaica. The villages that her many relatives live in include Mount Vernon, Cedar Valley and Wilson Gap (all in Saint Thomas parish). She says the relatives are mostly in the south eastern part of Saint Thomas parish.

Saint Thomas parish was very hard hit. And almost no news is out yet. The best news I found was from Reuters:

“In Jamaica, aid agencies and officials said they were still trying to find out what had happened in the southeastern parishes of St. Thomas, one of the hardest-hit areas…”

I realize that many of the members of Catholic Answers Forums are Americans, living in the United States. BUT - it really bugs me that in this thread there is no concern for those whose lives have been devastated by Ivan. All I am reading is insular, parochial, self-centered self concern.

If that sounds harsh, consider that the Island of Grenada is a total mess, with more than 20 people killed, 90% of the houses on the island badly damaged or totally destroyed. It is expected to take a month to restore electricity, because most of the electric lines are on the ground.

Jamaica got damaged pretty badly too, with people dead there too, although it wasn’t hit as badly as expected.

Grand Cayman, population about 40,000, has taken a terrible pounding too.

Yes, I know that Florida has been hit by two hurricanes already in the past month, and it is a terrible thing to see a storm is heading for you, with not much to be done. But, spare some feeling for those much worse off than yourselves.

It may well take Grenada years to recover from this - it is not a rich country. It depends very much on the nutmeg crop, and all the nutmeg trees have been downed or damaged.

At least, pray for them. Better yet, donate clothing, food, building supplies, etc., to help them recover.

40.png
Exalt:
Pray for it to be sent to Texas!!!

We need the rain! Alot! The Hurricans have been causing high pressure across texas causing tempratures to soar. I, for one, welcome the huricane to the Lone Star State. We can handle it. 😉
We don’t need the rain that bad. I live twenty miles from the coast and will have to work through any hurricane. When we get one, so be it. But it is never a good trade off.

[Joan M] “I realize that many of the members of Catholic Answers Forums are Americans, living in the United States. BUT - it really bugs me that in this thread there is no concern for those whose lives have been devastated by Ivan.”

Your point is well taken…those in Ivan’s (Charley’s & Frances’) wake need not only prayer to ease their new burden, but material support as well.

Hurricane Ivan which is headed into the Gulf of Mexico shows New Orleans as a possible landfall, which is about 35 miles south of my home. We must pray to Our Lady! Two years ago, when Louisiana was faced with a second hurricane in two weeks time, Catholics along the gulf coast credit their prayers to the Blessed Mother for Hurricane Lily downgrading from a category 4 to a category 2 when it hit the coast line. There is no good explanation for why this happened. I know why! Our Blessed Mother interceded once again! For those who have already been hit, Americans will do everything possible to aid the victims of this hurricane including sending the Red Cross with food, water, supplies, etc. God Bless, Puppy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back