Please put my mind at rest about rosary blessing

  • Thread starter Thread starter Issalight
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Issalight

Guest
I really love praying the rosary and giving away rosaries. I have them blessed by the local priests in the Roman Catholic church. I converted 10 years ago and love being Catholic.
My problem is that both priests bless my rosaries differently.One priest puts holy water on them the other says a short prayer over them .I recently took a bag full of rosaries to be blessed and the priest sais a blessing over the bag. Does this mean that each and every rosary in the bag is blessed?
I hate to sound like a silly person, just feeling really anxious about it. Can anyone help in clarifying this for me?
 
I recently took a bag full of rosaries to be blessed and the priest sais a blessing over the bag. Does this mean that each and every rosary in the bag is blessed?
Yes. It is not uncommon for a priest, including the Pope himself, to bless the bags and handfuls of holy items brought by all the hundreds or thousands of people visiting a shrine (like the Vatican) by simply standing up front and saying a blessing. If you have something unblessed on you and your intention was to have it blessed, it’s then blessed. It is not necessary for the priest to take each item out of the bag and individually bless it. The Pope would be standing there all day long blessing 20,000 rosaries if that were the case, since each pilgrim brings a bunch, some people even bring hundreds of them.
 
Last edited:
When I was in the Philippines with my fiance, I saw a priest at Mass throw holy water on a bunch of items on or near the altar. I figured that they were blessed. Father knows best.
 
Some priests use holy water, some just make the sign of the cross over it. I’ve seen priests do it both ways.
Traditionalist priests tend to say longer, more involved blessings. But I’m sure the shorter modern blessings work just as well.
 
I’m pretty sure too. When I got my Bible blessed, Father sprinkled holy water on it and said a prayer.
 
Thank you, thats really put my mind at rest. You are all so lovely.
 
A priest told me that if you want something Blessed then holding it up at the end of mass at the final blessing is sufficient to have the item Blessed. So you can just attend any mass and at the final blessing, hold your item up and it will be Blessed.
 
A priest told me that if you want something Blessed then holding it up at the end of mass at the final blessing is sufficient to have the item Blessed. So you can just attend any mass and at the final blessing, hold your item up and it will be Blessed.
@edward_george1 can correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure that’s not how blessings work.
 
Unless the priest has somehow made it known that he intends to bless all religious objects by the final blessing at Mass, no, that isn’t how it works.

-Fr ACEGC
 
Unless the priest has somehow made it known that he intends to bless all religious objects by the final blessing at Mass, no, that isn’t how it works.
When I went to Mass at Fatima, the priest at the end of the Mass asked anyone who wants their item blessed to hold it up and he said the prayer. I thought that was a great way of doing it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top