Please rate my Altar

  • Thread starter Thread starter Johann_du_Toit
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s lovely, but your opinion matters more than mine 😊 A few examples:

My grandma had a small desk in her living room that had multiple statues, holy cards, candles, and such on it. Some would say it was too cluttered. But there was something homey and comforting about it, probably because it was grandma’s and I loved being with my grandma.

My son’s godparents have a small, old wooden altar from a church in their home. They have a linen cloth on it, the family bible, and two large pictures on it: the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

I have a round end table that I got at a garage sale. I covered it with a large crocheted doily, made by the local Poor Clares. I have a small statue of Our Lady with the Child Jesus, and my Liturgy of the Hours books on it. I never thought of it as an altar, per se, more like my “prayer table” 😃

Your personality, your prayer style, even when and how you use your altar will determine what’s on it and how it is arranged. I think the important thing is that you’ve gotten started.

God bless you!

Gertie
 
Beautiful! 👍

It should inspire all of us la lacking one to do something about it.
 
It is a nice, quiet place to meditate, read scripture, and listen to what God wants you to know. May you find the peace of Christ there.
 
Beautiful! 👍

It should inspire all of us la lacking one to do something about it.
Yes, that was my initial thought too. I have been putting setting mine up for no good reason.

I like simplicity.
 
I love it!! I have always wanted to find one of those old single kneelers that I remember seeing at the rectory when I was a kid. Maybe one day I will find one.
 
I think it’s lovely. Beautiful idea.

DH & I turned one of our spare bedrooms into a prayer room, and we are really loving having that special space in which to pray.
 
Maybe a couple of small candles to set it off? But I wouldn’t lite them in such a small space unless I could watch them. But, it is nice just as it is.
 
That is very nice. I have one also, but I need to find a bigger table because mine looks cluttered. I live with my son and his family and have a very small bedroom. Hopefully, someday I will have a place of my own again and have a nice space for an altar.
I think you are on the right track! 👍
 
I love it!! I have always wanted to find one of those old single kneelers that I remember seeing at the rectory when I was a kid. Maybe one day I will find one.
They are called a “pie dieu” and you can purchase them many places. Look on ebay first fro the best deal. if you’re handy,. you can even build one yourself.
O myself prefer a comfy chair and a good reading lamp. Bad knees. :o
 
Looks nice.

As some one mentioned, a candle would be great.

Keep it simple.

Too many people over do it and the altar becomes a statement rather than a place of prayer.

Jim
 
true true, And I’m sorry for the misspelling. It’s **“prie dieu”. **
 
I’ve been told before that it’s customary to place statues relative to each other (or a crucifix) based on importance and prestige. It’s for this reason that Virgin Mary altars or statues were traditionally placed on the left side of the high altar (the right side of Jesus’ vantage from the crucifix) and those for St. Joseph were on the right of the high altar (the left side of Jesus’ vantage). Since you have nothing to the crucifix’s right side maybe you could move your statue of the Virgin Mary there?
 
I’ve been told before that it’s customary to place statues relative to each other (or a crucifix) based on importance and prestige. It’s for this reason that Virgin Mary altars or statues were traditionally placed on the left side of the high altar (the right side of Jesus’ vantage from the crucifix) and those for St. Joseph were on the right of the high altar (the left side of Jesus’ vantage). Since you have nothing to the crucifix’s right side maybe you could move your statue of the Virgin Mary there?
Ok I did so. I was wondering what to put on the other side of the Crucifix but since you mention St Joseph, will be on the lookout for a st Joseph statue.
 
Maybe a couple of small candles to set it off? But I wouldn’t lite them in such a small space unless I could watch them. But, it is nice just as it is.
My Priest also advised getting candles. They would have to be small because it would look awkward if they were taller than the Crucifix.
 
My Priest also advised getting candles. They would have to be small because it would look awkward if they were taller than the Crucifix.
Any devotional candle from the grocery store will be fine, God doesn’t slap us around fro trying to pray.
Maybe look for a portrait of your patron, St. John if you can’t find a St. John statue.

There are beautiful small ones here: www.portraitsofsaints.com
 
I built a small altar in my home for devotional purposes ,as our bishop made a call to the laity to do so. I did discuss it in a previous thread.forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=930871

Here is a picture of it.View attachment 21654

It’s not finished but I would appreciate advice so as to know I am on the right path.
As someone fond of Benedictine spirituality, I really like the simplicity of it.

Here’s the small oratory I made for the Liturgy of the Hours in my home office:

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top