Please review this page for me

  • Thread starter Thread starter JRKH
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JRKH

Guest
I am considering bookmarking **this page **for it’s highly condensed look at the development of the canon.
I know that the site is not particularly Christian, let alone catholic, but it does appear to be fairly well done, not condescending in it’s writing. (what little I’ve looked at)

Anyway that is what I’d like some feedback on. Note I am mainly interested in this one page and not in the site on the whole.

any feedback is appreciated

Peace
James
 
My first reaction to the page is that it says a lot of things but doesn’t support them. It doesn’t say anything about how the author knows these things. Also, there is a confusion between Protestant and Catholic “orthodoxy” that muddles the article as a whole.

Some examples of what I mean are:
While the current list of 27 books has been in place since the 4th century, there is reason to suggest that the canon is not necessarily closed. This viewpoint has been shared by others down through the last 1,500 years – albeit by a small but distinctive minority.
Has there really been a distinctive minority of Catholics questioning the canon for 1500 years? Presumably not since the Council of Trent, so after that, we are talking about Protestants. What evidence is there that, e.g., in AD 800 there was a distinctive minority questioning the canon? It may be true, but none of the evidence is cited, and I do not think the bias of the author is such that I want to take his/her word for it.
How Were Early Writings Assembled into a New Testament Canon? For more than a century after Christ, oral tradition was favored over a written NT. The early 2nd century patriarch Papias stated: “For I did not think what was to be gotten out of books would profit me as much as what came from the living and abiding voice.”
My understanding is that written versions of NT books (either whole or in part) were copied and sent to other Churches, and that, contrary to what is suggested here, there were many copies of many of the individual books in written form by the end of the first century. Of course most people wouldn’t have read them, because most people couldn’t read. But the picture of people handing them on orally for a century or so (which is not stated but is to some extent implied) is not, as far as I know, accurate.

(I realize that I am giving no sources either, because I am not a scholar and am not writing a book on the matter, unlike the author of the web page.)

Finally, all of the concluding comments are problematic, at least for faithful Catholics. The first paragraph is terrible, implying that orthodoxy changed along the road (“came to be perceived as orthodox teaching”) plus that the exclusion of other books has diminished the Faith.

Personally, I wouldn’t support it, unless I knew independently that all of the facts were correct. And if I knew that, I would write my own web page, and cite sources on it. But that’s just me. 🙂

–Jen
 
I think that the presentation is a reasonably good summary of the history of the canon. What is written here seems to match up very well with what I have read by church historians and bible scholars.

The comment about the canon not being considered closed by all is accurate, and it is not stating that opinion is held by Catholics, or only Catholics. I don’t think it has been a major issue for most of the past 1500 years, but even today there are some scholars who question whether certain books belong in the canon, or whether some excluded ones should be added. Again, the sentence reflects reality, and most of the discussion about this is on an academic level, and does not mean that those who question the canon are petitioning Rome to update the books in the bible.

I have no problem with the first part of the conclusion since it also reflects the history of the canon and the fact that the decisions on what should be included or not WAS based partly on the perceived orthodoxy of the writing. I have read that in several other books about the early church, including some authored by Catholics. And I can readily see that most of the conclusion is the author’s opinion, which he/she has a right to give. This is an essay of sorts, not a documented history. The body of the article is quite fair and factual, from what I can tell.

Thanks for telling us about it.
 
I’m skeptical of the author’s objectivity from the first paragraph.
Surprisingly, there is little in the way of either mainstream or evangelical literature widely available (emphasis mine) on the historical origins of the modern Bible - whether Old or New Testament. With this overview, we briefly consider the origins of what we know today as the New Testament canon - 27 books generally accepted by Christians as Holy scripture.
Has this author never heard of the “New Jerome Biblical Commentary”? It has extensive sections on “canonicity” and the “history of texts” and is widely available. It seems to me the author is trying to say ‘Surprisingly, there is little in the way of either mainstream or evangelical revisionist history widely available on the historical origins of the modern Bible’.

I would suggest to this author, if he/she is unhappy with the current canon, the Apocrypha and Dead Sea Scrolls are available. Publish your own bible. What the the heck, write a few books of your own and put them in as well!

Just a reminder. The Church came first. The Holy Bible came from the Church.
 
I am considering bookmarking **this page **for it’s highly condensed look at the development of the canon.
I know that the site is not particularly Christian, let alone catholic, but it does appear to be fairly well done, not condescending in it’s writing. (what little I’ve looked at)

Anyway that is what I’d like some feedback on. Note I am mainly interested in this one page and not in the site on the whole.

any feedback is appreciated

Peace
James
Seems like a fair and balanced summary, except for the part about the canon not being closed.
 
I am considering bookmarking **this page **for it’s highly condensed look at the development of the canon.
I know that the site is not particularly Christian, let alone catholic, but it does appear to be fairly well done, not condescending in it’s writing. (what little I’ve looked at)

Anyway that is what I’d like some feedback on. Note I am mainly interested in this one page and not in the site on the whole.

any feedback is appreciated

Peace
James
I know you are not looking at the site as a whole but I think this site is better and you may be able to use it to crosscheck what you are linking us to.

ntcanon.org/
 
There are numerous serious errors on that page, and it is written from a decidedly non-Catholic point of view.

He describes the NT Canon as those books “generally accepted by Christians,” rather than those books which Tradition and the Magisterium definitively teach are inspired by God.

He considers the definition of the NT Canon to be the result of “accumulated tradition, advocacy and widening acceptance,” but from the context of the whole page, it is clear that ‘accumulated tradition’ is not Sacred Tradition, but merely human tradition. Also, in the Catholic view, the Holy Spirit has guided the Church to understand which books are inspired by the Spirit; it is not the result of “advocacy and widening acceptance.”

He claims “the existence of a canon can be credited to Christian heretics.” A Canon exists because God chose to inspire books of Divine Revelation. Even if there were no heretics, God would still have revealed through His Church which books are His Word.

His claim that “there is reason to suggest that the canon is not necessarily closed” is a heresy. The Magisterium definitively teaches that the Canon is closed.

I don’t believe that his statements about when the Books were written, and about the alleged prominence of the non-canonical books, are accurate.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top